The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Well, Im back. Hope I dont stay.

Forums General Melanoma Community Well, Im back. Hope I dont stay.

Participant

So in October I had a tage 1a melanoma removed from my neck.  Surgery went good.  Didnt need a lymph node biopsy and the scar is healing nicely.

Well a few days ago I noticed a somewhat ingrown hair just outside of the border of a mole on my arm.  A mole that my derm said looked fine but it always looked kinda odd and big and out of shape to me.  Anyway, I picked at the ingrown hair which again is not on the mole itself.  It bled a little and Iet it alone.  Now today I noticed that the whole area is still irritated, bleeds a little bit feels like it is raised underneath, but the BIG red flag is there is a new black spot within the mole  On the part of the mole that is furthest away from where the ingrown hair is.  

I immediately called my derm and I have an appointment on Thursday, but needless to say I am freaking out.  I am 100% sure that black spot was not on the mole a few weeks ago.  Since my mel diagnosis I watch my moles like a hawk.  Is it possible for a melanoma to grow this fast?  I hate this.  I know not all mole changes mean melanoma but my mind just cant think of anything else now.

Viewing 2 reply threads
    • Replies
        DZnDef
        Participant

Sorry to welcome you back ๐Ÿ™‚  But please do take comfort in the knowledge that you are doing exactly the right thing right now.  You noticed a change and are having it checked within days or a few weeks.  That is FAST!  Even if it does turn out to be melanoma, what are the odds that it would have spread in such a short amount of time?  You are on top of this and that makes all the difference.  We should all be as vigilant.  Best of luck to you and I'm hoping this is a false alarm.

Cheers

Maggie

Gordknight
            Participant

Thanks Maggie.  My big worry is that it has been a melanoma all along and was missed.  My derm did look at it and used a dermascope and said he didnt think it was anything to be worried about.  It is by the far the most odd mole on my body.  But then you see stories all over the internet about derms and mds who completely missed a melanoma and it was diagnosed at a much more dangerous stage later.  Stories like that are the ones I cant get out of my head.  

I appreciate your encouragement and kind optomistic words.  I too hope it is nothing but a false alarm.  

Gordknight
              Participant

Thanks Maggie.  My big worry is that it has been a melanoma all along and was missed.  My derm did look at it and used a dermascope and said he didnt think it was anything to be worried about.  It is by the far the most odd mole on my body.  But then you see stories all over the internet about derms and mds who completely missed a melanoma and it was diagnosed at a much more dangerous stage later.  Stories like that are the ones I cant get out of my head.  

I appreciate your encouragement and kind optomistic words.  I too hope it is nothing but a false alarm.  

Gordknight
                Participant

DZnDef
                Participant

Sorry to welcome you back ๐Ÿ™‚  But please do take comfort in the knowledge that you are doing exactly the right thing right now.  You noticed a change and are having it checked within days or a few weeks.  That is FAST!  Even if it does turn out to be melanoma, what are the odds that it would have spread in such a short amount of time?  You are on top of this and that makes all the difference.  We should all be as vigilant.  Best of luck to you and I'm hoping this is a false alarm.

Cheers

Maggie

DZnDef
                  Participant

Cheers

Maggie

Viewing 2 reply threads
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide byย MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics