The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

WBR or Pallative Care?

Forums General Melanoma Community WBR or Pallative Care?

Participant

My father is currently in the hospital, pallative station, because he has multiple (bleeding) brain mets. He can speak but forgets much, can't remember some names and is generally very confused (doesn't know what some everyday items are for and so on). sometimes it is a bit better but he isn't able to walk and is now bedridden and needs Nursing.

Oncologist said we could do a WBR but doesn't think that it would help him and would just be a additionally burden for him. It would give him a bit of time but he is sure that it would not be enough time to get his nivolumab treatment to work (he received just one dose 3 weeks ago). Furthermore the damages his brain already got due to the bleeding brain mets would stay like this and not get any better (is this true?). 

So we decided to not do a WBR and organize a pallative care for him at home. Oncologist says he has maybe 1 to 4 weeks left and we would like to have him home.

In the end, i am still battling with our decision, i am always thinking of maybe the WBR would give him time to benefit from nivolumab? May be he would be one of the few where it starts to work even after the second treatment? Oncologist said that even with WBR he maybe would die because of his lung mets which have "exploded" since he stopped Zelboraf. He has mets in liver, pankreas and spine, too.

I'm lost and thankful for every advice i can get. Thank you.

Viewing 11 reply threads
    • Replies
        yazziemac
        Participant

I'm sorry for this situation for you and your family.  I cannot predict what will happen to your father, as no one can.  I will just share that my husband, Pete, had brain mets (with some bleeding) and mets in liver, spine, lungs, etc.  He had a craniotomy followed by gamma knife radiation.  Many more brain mets were soon disovered so he had whole brain radiation too.  He was also on Yervoy and had 2 infusions before his liver function became severely compromised and he had to stop.  At that point he went home on hospice care and passed away three weeks later, in May/15.  We did all of the interventions that were available to us, but his cancer was too fast moving and didn't respond to the immunotherapy in time, even with the WBR. As I said, each case is different and your father and the rest of your family will have to decide which course of action will bring you the most peace.  You will need to feel confident in your decision regardless, so that you don't look back with regret.  I wish you all the peace that is possible in your circumstances, and hope for the best possible outcome for your Dad. 

yazziemac
          Participant

I'm sorry for this situation for you and your family.  I cannot predict what will happen to your father, as no one can.  I will just share that my husband, Pete, had brain mets (with some bleeding) and mets in liver, spine, lungs, etc.  He had a craniotomy followed by gamma knife radiation.  Many more brain mets were soon disovered so he had whole brain radiation too.  He was also on Yervoy and had 2 infusions before his liver function became severely compromised and he had to stop.  At that point he went home on hospice care and passed away three weeks later, in May/15.  We did all of the interventions that were available to us, but his cancer was too fast moving and didn't respond to the immunotherapy in time, even with the WBR. As I said, each case is different and your father and the rest of your family will have to decide which course of action will bring you the most peace.  You will need to feel confident in your decision regardless, so that you don't look back with regret.  I wish you all the peace that is possible in your circumstances, and hope for the best possible outcome for your Dad. 

yazziemac
            Participant

Rawlins Mom
              Participant

I am so sorry to hear about your father.  My mother also had tumors in her liver, lungs, bone, and mets to the brain.  She went through targeted brain radiation, and 3 doses of Keytruda before her scans showed no improvement and the tumor load was increasing.  She then swithched to the ipi/nivo combo (2 doses) and had 10 days of WBR.  She passed away 4 weeks later, Oct. 2, 2015.

I'm not sure my feeling on the WBR.  I don't know if it did any good at all.  She became more foggy, but was that the tumor load or the side effects of the radiation?  The steroids did help with her appetite and sort of gave her one last boost of energy.  I think the doc's just wanted to take one last stab at a treatment, and that was the only option left.  In hindsight, I'm not sure if it was worth it.  There was no added time with her or change in the outcome.    

Tough decision.  My thoughts are with you.

Rawlins Mom
                Participant

I am so sorry to hear about your father.  My mother also had tumors in her liver, lungs, bone, and mets to the brain.  She went through targeted brain radiation, and 3 doses of Keytruda before her scans showed no improvement and the tumor load was increasing.  She then swithched to the ipi/nivo combo (2 doses) and had 10 days of WBR.  She passed away 4 weeks later, Oct. 2, 2015.

I'm not sure my feeling on the WBR.  I don't know if it did any good at all.  She became more foggy, but was that the tumor load or the side effects of the radiation?  The steroids did help with her appetite and sort of gave her one last boost of energy.  I think the doc's just wanted to take one last stab at a treatment, and that was the only option left.  In hindsight, I'm not sure if it was worth it.  There was no added time with her or change in the outcome.    

Rawlins Mom
                  Participant

Swanee
                    Participant

I am so very sorry for you and your family for the difficult place you are in with your father.  As a stage IV patient, it is human to question the "what if's, would have, could have, should have" scenarios.  I have learned to not linger long there, gently reminding myself that the decision I made was the best for me, with the information I had at that moment, it's always agonizing and there are never two situations alike. I have read many articles from an oncologist's point of view and often the treatments they prescribe for their patients, they would decline for themselves.  Many times I have bluntly asked my oncologist, if she would choose this(proposed treatment) for herself or a loved one.  Sometimes an honest answer is different than seeking advice or reccomendations. Often, hindsight is very clear and families have regrets for what they thought would help but didn't and have to live with that pain as well.  Letting go is never easy, especially when you have the added stress of making a decision that could affect the outcome.  I wish you clarity and seperation from the emotional anguish you are in.  May  peace and comfort be with you,  your father and his loved ones as you remain steadfast in your love and care.

Wishing  you peace, strength and courage as you negotiate the days ahead with your loved one.

Swanee

Swanee
                      Participant

I am so very sorry for you and your family for the difficult place you are in with your father.  As a stage IV patient, it is human to question the "what if's, would have, could have, should have" scenarios.  I have learned to not linger long there, gently reminding myself that the decision I made was the best for me, with the information I had at that moment, it's always agonizing and there are never two situations alike. I have read many articles from an oncologist's point of view and often the treatments they prescribe for their patients, they would decline for themselves.  Many times I have bluntly asked my oncologist, if she would choose this(proposed treatment) for herself or a loved one.  Sometimes an honest answer is different than seeking advice or reccomendations. Often, hindsight is very clear and families have regrets for what they thought would help but didn't and have to live with that pain as well.  Letting go is never easy, especially when you have the added stress of making a decision that could affect the outcome.  I wish you clarity and seperation from the emotional anguish you are in.  May  peace and comfort be with you,  your father and his loved ones as you remain steadfast in your love and care.

Wishing  you peace, strength and courage as you negotiate the days ahead with your loved one.

Swanee

Swanee
                        Participant

Swanee

emagdnim83
                          Participant

Thank you all for your kind words. I've just posted a quick update on his condition today.

emagdnim83
                            Participant

Thank you all for your kind words. I've just posted a quick update on his condition today.

emagdnim83
                              Participant

Viewing 11 reply threads
                            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                            About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics