The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

WBR and Lhermitte’s Sign / Tingling Sensation

Forums General Melanoma Community WBR and Lhermitte’s Sign / Tingling Sensation

Participant

From Wikipedia: Lhermitte's Sign, sometimes called the barber chair phenomenon, is an electrical sensation that runs down the back and into the limbs. In many patients, it is elicited by bending the head forward.

I started exhibiting this symptom (Lhermitte's Sign) about a month ago, pretty close to the three-month-mark after finishing the Whole Brain Radiation (WBR) treatment.  I began noticing it as I worked at my computer because I often bend my head and neck forward to look at the keyboard while practicing typing for the two-fingered.  When I look down, I get this tingling sensation running down my spine and arms.

So I told my oncologist and he set me up with an MRI on the cervical spine last week.  It showed no tumors or detectible lesions, so I'm hoping this might be a latent side-effect of the WBR.  I've read that it sometimes occurs with radiation treatment and when it does, it most likely happens at around three to four months after the treatment is done.

Has anybody else who has done WBR experienced this symptom?  Did it ever go away?  If so, how long did it take?

bj63

Viewing 2 reply threads
    • Replies
        POW
        Participant

Could the tingling be the result of a pinched nerve in your neck or something? Couldn't there be other explanations than WBR?

bj63
            Participant

No, the MRI ruled that out.  Neck and spine look fine on the scans.  Which really just leaves things like MS or the WBR.  It's a strange thing.

bj63
              Participant

No, the MRI ruled that out.  Neck and spine look fine on the scans.  Which really just leaves things like MS or the WBR.  It's a strange thing.

bj63
                Participant

POW
                Participant

Could the tingling be the result of a pinched nerve in your neck or something? Couldn't there be other explanations than WBR?

POW
                  Participant

Viewing 2 reply threads
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics