The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Ways to push forward after PD-1 “Plateau”

Forums General Melanoma Community Ways to push forward after PD-1 “Plateau”

Participant

Its crazy how stage 4 has a way of moving the goalposts as to what's good news and whats not. I'm currently stage 4C, but have had a good rersponse to PD-1. Has anyone had any experience with trying something new after achieving "stable disease"? I've been pretty lucky (and feel healthy still!), but some stubborn mets remain — has anyone tried and been able to get radiation or something along those lines at a similar point in time? I really don't like the idea of just being passive while PD-1 fights ther mel to a stalemate. I'm hoping to have a serious discussion about surgery with my doctor at some point, but don't think that's an option at present. 

Viewing 1 reply thread
    • Replies
        stevenallenschwartz
        Participant

I too am 4C. I am hoping that the Keytruda does it's job. I was told that my tumors are inoperable. Hoping for the best….

Polymath
          Participant

Hi there Anon,

I have been in the same place after progressing on anti PD-1.  Opted for radiation to treat large, troublesome sub-Q's.  Mixed radiation with ipi/nivo combo, and was able to attain a sort of stable situation for one year, with a couple of smaller internal tumors shrinking, but had a very, very large splenic mass that would not respond to anything, and was finally removed via surgery.  So unresectable does not always mean no surgical options, but of course one can live without the spleen, and not all organs, or places in the body would be candidates.  For me, full frontal attack via radiation and surgery have really been the only meaningful solutions.  Now that I have officially progressed on ipi/nivo, my next step, when new tumors crop up will be a trial.  The goalposts keep moving yes, and we are constantly chasing them.  Best in the battle.

Spl25
              Participant

Thanks Polymath — I just hate the game of whack-a-mole. Have you looked at the NCI-match trial for novel targeted therapies?

Viewing 1 reply thread
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
          About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics