The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Wayne is FREEZING to death on Zelboraf

Forums General Melanoma Community Wayne is FREEZING to death on Zelboraf

Participant

Anyone have this side effect ?    Poor thing is burning me up here in the deep south.   Wears winter warm ups – robe – blanket over head.

Is his blood thin you think ?    Sorry to be such a pest but we are so new at ZEL !

Thanks for your help.

Nancy  (wife of Warrior Wayne)

Anyone have this side effect ?    Poor thing is burning me up here in the deep south.   Wears winter warm ups – robe – blanket over head.

Is his blood thin you think ?    Sorry to be such a pest but we are so new at ZEL !

Thanks for your help.

Nancy  (wife of Warrior Wayne)

Viewing 11 reply threads
    • Replies
        lhaley
        Participant

I have not used the Zelboraf but when I was on the high dosages of Dex I was freezing all of the time.  My skin even felt cold to others.  You might want to try an electric blanket or one of those pads you put in the microwave.  I've been off of them for 2 months and now I fluctuate from freezing to sweating. 

Sounds like Wayne has had a horrible time so far on this drug.  I don't know what treatment he's been on but if there is another one he might want to consider it.

Wishing you both the best,

Linda

lhaley
          Participant

I have not used the Zelboraf but when I was on the high dosages of Dex I was freezing all of the time.  My skin even felt cold to others.  You might want to try an electric blanket or one of those pads you put in the microwave.  I've been off of them for 2 months and now I fluctuate from freezing to sweating. 

Sounds like Wayne has had a horrible time so far on this drug.  I don't know what treatment he's been on but if there is another one he might want to consider it.

Linda

Snickers60
              Participant

He has had a time of it.  Can't wait to go back to Doc.  He's had crippling pain in joints that moves around like others do, and high fevers at night.   He has fever now so hot I can barely touch him, and is freezing.

He's determined to stick with it, because he tested well for the ZEL, but I think his does should be halfed.  He's on 4 – 2XD.

He accidently read it wrong in the beginning and only took 2 – 2XD and did great, but then the drug had hardly gotten into his system.

He also has the chronic cough that comes and goes.

I'm MAKING HIM call MDA first thing in the morning.   I think he needs meds ajustment or Steriods.  I DUNNO………this is all so hard even though it's the 3 Rodeo !!!!!

Blessings and health to you,

Nancy (wife of Warrior Wayne)

Snickers60
                Participant

He has had a time of it.  Can't wait to go back to Doc.  He's had crippling pain in joints that moves around like others do, and high fevers at night.   He has fever now so hot I can barely touch him, and is freezing.

He's determined to stick with it, because he tested well for the ZEL, but I think his does should be halfed.  He's on 4 – 2XD.

He accidently read it wrong in the beginning and only took 2 – 2XD and did great, but then the drug had hardly gotten into his system.

I'm MAKING HIM call MDA first thing in the morning.   I think he needs meds ajustment or Steriods.  I DUNNO………this is all so hard even though it's the 3 Rodeo !!!!!

Snickers60
                  Participant

lhaley
                  Participant

Linda

aldakota22
                    Participant

Sorry he has such a horrible time with "Z."try calling your drug supplier and talk to their 24 hr. druggist.There should be a contact number supplied with the drug.Praying you get the fix ASAP.  Al

aldakota22
                      Participant

Sorry he has such a horrible time with "Z."try calling your drug supplier and talk to their 24 hr. druggist.There should be a contact number supplied with the drug.Praying you get the fix ASAP.  Al

aldakota22
                        Participant

Gene_S
                          Participant

I am sorry to hear Wayne is having such high fevers.  But maybe the fever is burning the mel from his body.  I agree that maybe you should call the drug hotline to see what they suggest or better yet his onc.  I pray you find something to help soon.

I know of a nurse that has arthritis and she takes a high dose of curcurmin (like 1000 mg) in the morning and 675 in the PM.  I don't know if this will help but it might.

Almost sounds like Rheumatoid Arthritis with the movement.

I will keep Wayne and you in my prayers.

Judy (loving wife and caregiver of Gene)

Gene_S
                            Participant

I am sorry to hear Wayne is having such high fevers.  But maybe the fever is burning the mel from his body.  I agree that maybe you should call the drug hotline to see what they suggest or better yet his onc.  I pray you find something to help soon.

I know of a nurse that has arthritis and she takes a high dose of curcurmin (like 1000 mg) in the morning and 675 in the PM.  I don't know if this will help but it might.

Gene_S
                              Participant

hopefortomorrow
                                Participant

Nancy,

My Mom had the exact same experience.  Always cold, running fevers every so often, flushed face, extreme joint pain and of course extra sensitive to sun exposure.  Her oncologist did cut her dose of Zelboraf in half after her one month check-up and it made a world of difference.  He said the Zelboraf was toxic at the higher dose for her.  She also contacted Genentech and they said the same thing.  They were very helpful with follow up calls every month to check her side effects and progress on the drug.  It was a good resource for her to have as there were no melanoma support groups in the area were she lived.  They put her mind at ease just stating that others were experiencing the same thing she was going through.  Her white blood cell count was low while on the drug, but I'm not sure that had anything to do with her being cold all the time.

hopefortomorrow
                                  Participant

Nancy,

My Mom had the exact same experience.  Always cold, running fevers every so often, flushed face, extreme joint pain and of course extra sensitive to sun exposure.  Her oncologist did cut her dose of Zelboraf in half after her one month check-up and it made a world of difference.  He said the Zelboraf was toxic at the higher dose for her.  She also contacted Genentech and they said the same thing.  They were very helpful with follow up calls every month to check her side effects and progress on the drug.  It was a good resource for her to have as there were no melanoma support groups in the area were she lived.  They put her mind at ease just stating that others were experiencing the same thing she was going through.  Her white blood cell count was low while on the drug, but I'm not sure that had anything to do with her being cold all the time.

Snickers60
                                      Participant
                                        Thank you soo much for your post. Really helps us
                                        We are in hospital now and have been 2 days when fever got
                                        So high. Did all kind of test yesterday so hope to
                                        Learn something today !

Rocket start ! I think he needs half dose too. He cannot live like that

Will post results later. You give us Hope !!!
                                        Blessings.
                                        Nancy

Snickers60
                                        Participant
                                          Learn something today !

Blessings.
                                          Nancy

Snickers60
                                          Participant
                                            Learn something today !

Blessings.
                                            Nancy

hopefortomorrow
                                          Participant

Nancy,

Viewing 11 reply threads
                                        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                        About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics