The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Warning to those with lymphedema

Forums General Melanoma Community Warning to those with lymphedema

Participant

Hi everyone,

For the past almost 3 years I've had lymphedema in my right arm. I began to favor my left arm by carrying more things consistently on that side while giving my right arm a rest. We helped move our children from one place to another ( both are in college!). I know there have been times I've carried too much with my left arm. I've also done some exercises with 5 lb. weights.

Hi everyone,

For the past almost 3 years I've had lymphedema in my right arm. I began to favor my left arm by carrying more things consistently on that side while giving my right arm a rest. We helped move our children from one place to another ( both are in college!). I know there have been times I've carried too much with my left arm. I've also done some exercises with 5 lb. weights.

I had an MRI on my left shoulder. That's when I lost the range of motion due to cellulitis. The MRI revealed 2 small tears in the tendons in different areas of the shoulder. My doc. said that it happened over years. I believe my actions over the last 3 years at least accelerated the damage to the area.

I began to take a supplement called Collagen 1&3 which is supposed to support tendons and ligaments, among other things.

I'm not posing a question here, rather just advice for those in similar situations. Don't overuse your unaffected arm!

God Bless,

Jim M.

Viewing 5 reply threads
    • Replies
        JerryfromFauq
        Participant

Jim, Sorry to hear this news.  Let us how the Collagen 1&3 works out.  Enjoyed meeting you last year.  Did you make it for Kris's get together this year? 

Jim M.
            Participant

Hi Jerry, It was a pleasure meeting you as well. No, I didn't make it to Dean's golf tournament. I think that was the weekend we flew back to Miami from Costa Rica (my wife's country). Whatever time was left I rested. That was really a special time with our group at the tournament.

Take care and God Bless<

Jim

Jim M.
              Participant

Hi Jerry, It was a pleasure meeting you as well. No, I didn't make it to Dean's golf tournament. I think that was the weekend we flew back to Miami from Costa Rica (my wife's country). Whatever time was left I rested. That was really a special time with our group at the tournament.

Take care and God Bless<

Jim

Jim M.
                Participant

Take care and God Bless<

Jim

JerryfromFauq
                Participant

Jim, Sorry to hear this news.  Let us how the Collagen 1&3 works out.  Enjoyed meeting you last year.  Did you make it for Kris's get together this year? 

JerryfromFauq
                  Participant

MaryD
                    Participant

Hi Jim!

Gosh, sorry to hear about those tendon tears in your right arm . .hoping the supplements can help you out.    I feel so lucky that I've been able to avoid lymphadema in my left arm after all the surgeries . .I won't take that for granted!

Hope everything else is going well for you!

God bless,

Mary

Jim M.
                        Participant

Hi Mary,

Always nice to hear from you. I'm seeing an orthopedist also who gave me a shot of cortisol. Weber said one is OK but to avoid more since it's a steroid. I'm resting it so it's feeling better. I'm told when tears are small they can sometimes heal on their own. I'll see about physical therapy. Tomorrow I get a follow-up bone density scan. I'm trusting it will show an improvement from a year ago. I'm taking liquid calcium/magnesium and it has made a big difference in my nails.

I continue to be NED and I will post on my upcoming anniversary on Nov.1.  

Hope all is going well for you also Mary.

God Bless,

Jim

Jim M.
                          Participant

Hi Mary,

Always nice to hear from you. I'm seeing an orthopedist also who gave me a shot of cortisol. Weber said one is OK but to avoid more since it's a steroid. I'm resting it so it's feeling better. I'm told when tears are small they can sometimes heal on their own. I'll see about physical therapy. Tomorrow I get a follow-up bone density scan. I'm trusting it will show an improvement from a year ago. I'm taking liquid calcium/magnesium and it has made a big difference in my nails.

God Bless,

Jim

Jim M.
                            Participant

Hi Mary,

God Bless,

Jim

MaryD
                            Participant

Hi Jim!

Gosh, sorry to hear about those tendon tears in your right arm . .hoping the supplements can help you out.    I feel so lucky that I've been able to avoid lymphadema in my left arm after all the surgeries . .I won't take that for granted!

God bless,

Mary

MaryD
                              Participant

Hi Jim!

God bless,

Mary

Viewing 5 reply threads
                            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                            About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics