The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Waiting on biopsy results for mole removal – very worried

Forums General Melanoma Community Waiting on biopsy results for mole removal – very worried

Participant

Hi all, 

I had a shave biopsy done this done this week at the dermatologist. It was for a mole in the middle of my back that I had honestly never noticed before.  I have never had a biopsy done before and I have been absolutely terrified waiting for the results.  I've had trouble eating and sleeping because I have been so nervous.  Last year, my mom had stage 1 melanoma, and made a complete recovery after surgery.  However, I'm scared that this mole could actually be stage 3 or 4 cancer because I have no idea how long the mole has been there.  I've attached a picture the mole that was taken about 3 weeks before the biopsy.  Ignore the redness on my back, that was from an allergic reaction.  How bad does this mole look?  I am so scared.  From what I've read on the internet, stage 4 has no symptoms, so I'm wondering if I may have had it. Thoughts anyone? Am I crazy?

http://i1146.photobucket.com/albums/o523/melody_mcfarland1/Mobile%20Uploads/IMG_0334_zps0s1mv86b.jpg

Viewing 2 reply threads
    • Replies
        Patrisa
        Participant

Dear melodygrace,

No one can say if a mole is melanoma or not, but honestly, your mole does not look suspicious at all! It's not weird by any 'mel standard', same colour as the rest of them, not huge, not weirdly shaped, not elevated, nothing… How come your derm decided it was different from others?

Anyway, if i was a betting person, i would bet it's nothing… Since my fathers diagnosis, i have had a couple of close people get checked out really freaky moles and none of them was mel… Yours looks really normal to me…

So, try to relax, odds are not against you, mel is rarest type of skin tumors and you are more likely to be diagnosed with nothing or something totaly non life threatening…

And even IF it turns out to be mel, the majority of people diagnosed, removes it and is done with it for the rest of their lives…

Take care and don't panic…

Love,

Patrisa

Melodygrace
            Participant

Thank you, that makes me feel better!  I really don't know why my dermatologist decided that mole looked unusual, but I will be sure to ask next time I talk to her. She seemed like she was in a hurry when she removed the mole, so there wasn't much time for questions.  Hopefully she was just being extra cautious. Will post up results when I find out. 

keepthefaith11
              Participant
                Does not stick out to me either. I had one removed pretty much from the same spot as you. Mine was for sure different from the others on my back. It was dark, uneven and just looked odd. My dad has stage 4 melanoma so I was really scared. Ot came back moderately atypical. I was so relieved it wasn’t anything worse!

I know the feeling for sure, but I don’t think yours is going to be anything serious. Try to not worry.

Annie

keepthefaith11
                Participant
                  Does not stick out to me either. I had one removed pretty much from the same spot as you. Mine was for sure different from the others on my back. It was dark, uneven and just looked odd. My dad has stage 4 melanoma so I was really scared. Ot came back moderately atypical. I was so relieved it wasn’t anything worse!

I know the feeling for sure, but I don’t think yours is going to be anything serious. Try to not worry.

Annie

keepthefaith11
                  Participant

Annie

Melodygrace
                    Participant

Thank you, that makes me feel better!  I really don't know why my dermatologist decided that mole looked unusual, but I will be sure to ask next time I talk to her. She seemed like she was in a hurry when she removed the mole, so there wasn't much time for questions.  Hopefully she was just being extra cautious. Will post up results when I find out. 

Melodygrace
                      Participant

Patrisa
                      Participant

Dear melodygrace,

No one can say if a mole is melanoma or not, but honestly, your mole does not look suspicious at all! It's not weird by any 'mel standard', same colour as the rest of them, not huge, not weirdly shaped, not elevated, nothing… How come your derm decided it was different from others?

Anyway, if i was a betting person, i would bet it's nothing… Since my fathers diagnosis, i have had a couple of close people get checked out really freaky moles and none of them was mel… Yours looks really normal to me…

So, try to relax, odds are not against you, mel is rarest type of skin tumors and you are more likely to be diagnosed with nothing or something totaly non life threatening…

And even IF it turns out to be mel, the majority of people diagnosed, removes it and is done with it for the rest of their lives…

Love,

Patrisa

Patrisa
                        Participant

Dear melodygrace,

Love,

Patrisa

Viewing 2 reply threads
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                      About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics