The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Waiting for Biopsy Results

Forums Cutaneous Melanoma Community Waiting for Biopsy Results

Participant

29-year old healthy male. Went to Dermatologist on 6/22/2017 with a lifelong mole (literally on my right thigh my entire life) that had crusted/scabbed over and bled a little bit (I may have been scratching it as I was out in the woods with mosquitoes the day before I noticed the blood). He said it is "more likely than not" melanoma, but would not counsel on what type or depth. Did a punch biopsy and sent to lab. Awaiting Results. Are doctors ever wrong after dermatascope or are they pretty adept at diagnosis w/o biopsy?

A few things: there was hair growing in the mole. Is this a good sign? Also, I have a nasty bruise on the inner thigh semi-close to the mole site. Is this dangerous? Thank you for your comments. The waiting game sucks. G-d bless all of you.

Viewing 3 reply threads
    • Replies
        jennunicorn
        Participant

No doctor should EVER say something like that to you, so I am sorry this one did. Sure there may be signs that a good dermatologist will notice that will alert to a mole POSSIBLY being melanoma, but even they can't diagnose without a biopsy, therefore are not suppose to diagnose prior to getting biopsy results because of the unnecessary anxiety and stress that gives a patient. Some docs are so disconnected from patient mental care it makes me nuts. The bruise is just a bruise and I would not connect that to your mole. Hang in there, hopefully it comes back benign, if not, this forum can certainly help guide you through the next steps.

The waiting is the hardest part. Hopefully your results are benign.  I had a few suspicious moles removed which came back benign.  Then had my dermatologist refuse to biopsy subcutaneous nodules which were metastatic melanoma (this was ten years later).  Needless to say they can't tell unless they biopsy.  Try not to worry.  Easier said than done but try.

stars
          Participant

Don't worry about melanoma until you are actually diagnosed. There's every chance you won't be diagnosed with melanoma. Your dermatologist sounds like a dick for saying what he/she said. Firstly, they can't tell, only a pathologist can tell. Secondly, it's given you a whole lot of worry, likely for no reason. Don't worry about the bruise, hair whatever. It's likely not a melanoma so don't worry. If it is, worry then and only then.

thehowlingfantods
              Participant

I can't thank you kind folks enough! You are a godsend to me in this uncertain time in my life. I'm getting married and taking the Bar Exam in the next 6 weeks, so your support means the world in staying positive and focusing on LIFE. G-d bless you and all the best for your respective journeys.

Sophietx
                Participant

No doctor should ever say before pathology report "guessing game". The same happened to me a "well known" dermatologist took a biopsy of a brown spot on my forehead. While doing the biopsy she told me that she is not able to take the whole shave. Do I want her to go deeper but I will have a deep scar on my forehead . I was in shock so I agreed. At this point I heard of melanoma but didn't think it would be me. This dark spot ended being nothing… I do have a deep scar on my forehead as young woman. And the crazy point is that this doctor missed the real melanoma for 5 years. I had regular visits and she never questioned black large mole on my chest. Luckily my breast cancer surgeon did and it was Melanoma insitu.

thehowlingfantods
                Participant

I just wanted to let everyone know my results came back: benign, atypical nevus. I owe such a debt of gratitude to all of you folks: The last few days, after reading hundreds of your posts, I've gained a new understanding of the unbelievably struggles you all face. YOU ARE ALL HEROES. I am amazed at the amount of positivity, grace, and determination I've seen exhibited on these boards. You, who are facing so much, were able to comfort me, who is facing so little in comparison. G-d bless you. No matter what happens, you've made your mark on me and your mark on humanity. Your tireless spirit is an example to all of us of what we all can hope to be someday. I am so blessed to have crossed paths with you. You will all be in my thoughts and prayers forever.

James

jennunicorn
                    Participant

So happy to hear it was benign! Another example of how wrong doctors can be when they "diagnose" by just looking at a lesion. Keep up the good work checking your skin for any changes or new lesions. 

Viewing 3 reply threads
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics