The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Vitiligo

Forums General Melanoma Community Vitiligo

Participant

Hi all

shortly after I started ipi/nivo I noticed my eyebrows turning white.  This was in June

Now all the hair on my body is pure white – head, eyelashes, arms, legs, etc…  not a drop of color at all. I don't seem to have any skin discoloration at all.

My scans in October were great and I am currently on Nivo only maintenance.

My question is – has anyone else had this happen to them and then have the hair color come back or will mine stay white permanently?

thanks

karen

Viewing 17 reply threads
    • Replies
        sweetaugust
        Participant

Hi Karen, 

I've been on Keytruda for 4 years and have had no evidence of melanoma for the last 2.5 of those years.  I too developed vitiligo early on in my treatment and my doctors at Dana Farber said that it shows that the drug is working.  They said that those patients that developed vitiligo tended to show that the drug was working for them.  🙂 

All my best,  Laurie

sweetaugust
          Participant

Hi Karen, 

I've been on Keytruda for 4 years and have had no evidence of melanoma for the last 2.5 of those years.  I too developed vitiligo early on in my treatment and my doctors at Dana Farber said that it shows that the drug is working.  They said that those patients that developed vitiligo tended to show that the drug was working for them.  🙂 

All my best,  Laurie

sweetaugust
            Participant

Hi Karen, 

All my best,  Laurie

Bubbles
              Participant

Here is a post (with many reports/links within) that might interest you covering vitiligo….it's positive prognostic indications, incidence and more…

http://chaoticallypreciselifeloveandmelanoma.blogspot.com/2016/09/all-things-vitiligo.html

I developed vitiligo after Stage IV melanoma while being treated with nivo in a phase 1 trial in 2010. I still have vitiligo…but I remain NED. I wish you well. Celeste

KAF
                  Participant

Thanks for the responses.

I am currently NED so the treatment definitely did work for me so the vitiligo theory did ring true in my case.

What I wasn't sure about is if any hair color would return or will i always have white hair.  I know that hair color is insignificant in comparison to cancer but I am just curious…

thanks

karen

corgimom
                    Participant

Hi, I had the same response to the combo ipi/PD1–became NED, but I lost all the hair color on my body.

I've been NED now for two years, but the color has never returned. Everyone's reaction is different, of course, but mine never did. As you say, insignificant compared to Stage IV……

corgimom
                      Participant

Hi, I had the same response to the combo ipi/PD1–became NED, but I lost all the hair color on my body.

I've been NED now for two years, but the color has never returned. Everyone's reaction is different, of course, but mine never did. As you say, insignificant compared to Stage IV……

corgimom
                        Participant

KAF
                          Participant

I am currently NED so the treatment definitely did work for me so the vitiligo theory did ring true in my case.

What I wasn't sure about is if any hair color would return or will i always have white hair.  I know that hair color is insignificant in comparison to cancer but I am just curious…

thanks

karen

KAF
                            Participant

thanks

karen

Bubbles
                            Participant

Here is a post (with many reports/links within) that might interest you covering vitiligo….it's positive prognostic indications, incidence and more…

http://chaoticallypreciselifeloveandmelanoma.blogspot.com/2016/09/all-things-vitiligo.html

I developed vitiligo after Stage IV melanoma while being treated with nivo in a phase 1 trial in 2010. I still have vitiligo…but I remain NED. I wish you well. Celeste

Bubbles
                              Participant

Hukill
                                Participant

I have vitiligo on both arms, started about 4 weeks ago. I get my 4th nivo only dose friday then I should go on the ipi/nivo maintanance every 90 days until 10/2018. I haven't noticed any change in hair color. I enjoy the mild side effects as I know my body is reacting to the drugs and therefore killing the cancer also. I am glad I don't have to worry if the drugs are working or not as I know they are as long as I continue to have side effects, especially new ones. I have had a dry mouth for about 9 weeks now and after my last nivo dose I would get a severe pain shoot up my right jaw thru my ear into my head on about the 3rd chew of food. I guess that my salava gland on that side was effected more after the treatment. The pain lasted for about 6 days and has gone away. My onocologist told me vitiligo was a side effect but not very common but in the last several days there has been more postings regarding vitiligo.

Hukill
                                  Participant

I have vitiligo on both arms, started about 4 weeks ago. I get my 4th nivo only dose friday then I should go on the ipi/nivo maintanance every 90 days until 10/2018. I haven't noticed any change in hair color. I enjoy the mild side effects as I know my body is reacting to the drugs and therefore killing the cancer also. I am glad I don't have to worry if the drugs are working or not as I know they are as long as I continue to have side effects, especially new ones. I have had a dry mouth for about 9 weeks now and after my last nivo dose I would get a severe pain shoot up my right jaw thru my ear into my head on about the 3rd chew of food. I guess that my salava gland on that side was effected more after the treatment. The pain lasted for about 6 days and has gone away. My onocologist told me vitiligo was a side effect but not very common but in the last several days there has been more postings regarding vitiligo.

Hukill
                                    Participant

Gene_S
                                      Participant

My husband had the Ipi/ GMCSF combo started it in Mar. 2011 and has been NED for almost 4.5 years and he has vitiligo on the face and neck.  His eyebrows and beard are almost all white but it never affected the hair on his head.  The white shows no sign of changing back.

Judy (loving wife of Gene Stage IV and now NED for almosst 4.5 years.

Gene_S
                                        Participant

My husband had the Ipi/ GMCSF combo started it in Mar. 2011 and has been NED for almost 4.5 years and he has vitiligo on the face and neck.  His eyebrows and beard are almost all white but it never affected the hair on his head.  The white shows no sign of changing back.

Gene_S
                                          Participant

Hukill
                                            Participant

WOW!!! Just reviewed the website and it made my day and I am so happy I have vitiligo!!!!!

Hukill
                                              Participant

WOW!!! Just reviewed the website and it made my day and I am so happy I have vitiligo!!!!!

Hukill
                                                Participant

ed williams
                                                  Participant

Hi Karen, just to add to what has already been given is a video o  Dr. Weber, go to the 31min mark and I also developed white paches on my hands, arms and legs. Best Wishes!!!!Ed https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ysbSCeqJpq0

ed williams
                                                    Participant

Hi Karen, just to add to what has already been given is a video o  Dr. Weber, go to the 31min mark and I also developed white paches on my hands, arms and legs. Best Wishes!!!!Ed https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ysbSCeqJpq0

ed williams
                                                      Participant

Viewing 17 reply threads
                                                    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                                    About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics