The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Vitiligo onset?

Forums General Melanoma Community Vitiligo onset?

Participant
      Hi Guys.

In my never ending quest to find good news about my health, I’m wondering about vitiligo, and whether or not it’s showing up on my skin.

A few weeks ago, after spending some time in the sun, I noticed white blotches or various sizes on my forearms. At the time, I chalked it up to scarring from a particularly bad case of poison ivy I had about 2.5 years ago. The blotches aren’t that big, they look like the size of a scab that previously occupied that area.

But now I’m wondering if thats 100% the cause, because neither I or my wife remember seeing these blotches last summer.

Would immunotherapy triggered vitiligo go after areas like this first perhaps? I can’t seem to find any info specific to this, and my apologies if this is a ridiculous question. I’m going through a tough time of progression 5 months after my first ipi/nivo infusion and looking for any sign of a response. I’ve noticed a few new grey hairs in my beard too, but that could be from just about anything!

Viewing 3 reply threads
    • Replies
        Bubbles
        Participant
          Here are a zillion reports on vitiligo and melanoma (IF you are interested!!! HA!): https://chaoticallypreciselifeloveandmelanoma.blogspot.com/search?q=vitiligo

A super quick look through showed a report noting that in one study the patients with vitiligo developed it at anywhere from 2-9 months after treatment. There is also some interesting data within a couple of articles included about it developing first around surgical scars in poor little mice. It certainly has occurred around many of my scars. Personally, I first noted small white spots on my hands and forearms around 3 months into my nivo trial.

I have all my splotches still. As a pale person they do show up more during the summer as the surrounding skin gets a bit more sun. Hope that helps. celeste

TimCT
            Participant
              Thanks so much Celeste! I’m going to dig in right now!
            Tsvetochka
            Participant
              Mine showed up on my hands first, after I finished treatment. I had 11 rounds of Keytruda, the last in January. Sometime in February-March I started noticing white patches on my hands. Then, as I’ve been in the sun a little (no burns, just a little exposures) I’ve gotten it on my neck and forehead. I’m wondering if it will go away, or this is my new look?

Also, I’m seeing my first few gray hairs. But maybe that’s because I’ll be 40 soon? 🙂

TimCT
                Participant
                  Me too, I’ll hit 40 in August! I was already on grey hair watch – now for a whole different meaning, and they’ll be warmly welcomed!
                stevek1959x
                Participant
                  After my Nivo treatment ended (12 months), I was fighting a rash (lichen planus). Seems wherever the blister like rash formed, I developed a white circle after the rash healed. I noticed the white blotches were starting to connect (2 months after treatment ended). The back of my hands, forearms from just above the elbow to the wrist, neck is completely white, chest front and back are covered with small white blotches, and yes a few patches of grey hair. I notice that my arm air is completely silver. I was tested for lupus and my doctor started me on Hydroxychloroquine and prednisone. The rash stopped but the end result was some pretty major vitiligo. I was doing light treatments for the rash and vitiligo but had to stop (broke my hip – another story). I wear sunscreen faithfully but my normal skin still tans especially on my hands. Yet another new norm.
                  Hukill
                  Participant
                    Very early on the ipi/nivo combo I developed vitiligo and 4 years later still slowly spreading. These were some reports about patients who developed vitiligo were I think 3 times less likely for melanoma to return. So I have never been upset with being spotted.
                Viewing 3 reply threads
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics