The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Vitamin D testing

Forums General Melanoma Community Vitamin D testing

Participant

Hi

My doctor is willing to have a Vitamin D test done so that I will know if I am  Vit D deficient.

My blood tests are done at Quest because the blood tests are cheaper.

Can someone tell be the name of the blood test for testing Vitamin D . Quest had 3 test:

1.Vitamin D 25 test

2. Vitamin D125 test

3. VitaminD. 25 & 125  combotest

Any info you can give me about  the Vitamin D test, you have had would be very helpful.

Thanks,

william

Hi

My doctor is willing to have a Vitamin D test done so that I will know if I am  Vit D deficient.

My blood tests are done at Quest because the blood tests are cheaper.

Can someone tell be the name of the blood test for testing Vitamin D . Quest had 3 test:

1.Vitamin D 25 test

2. Vitamin D125 test

3. VitaminD. 25 & 125  combotest

Any info you can give me about  the Vitamin D test, you have had would be very helpful.

Thanks,

william

Viewing 7 reply threads
    • Replies
        lhaley
        Participant

I don't know the name of the test but your Dr should know!! My family Dr has mine tested every year because 2 years ago I had a major deficency. Was put on the 56,000 units which is a prescription drug. Now they have me taking 2,000 each day and retest every year. 

Once I was back to level it's amazing how my aches and pains disappeared!

Linda

lhaley
          Participant

I don't know the name of the test but your Dr should know!! My family Dr has mine tested every year because 2 years ago I had a major deficency. Was put on the 56,000 units which is a prescription drug. Now they have me taking 2,000 each day and retest every year. 

Once I was back to level it's amazing how my aches and pains disappeared!

Linda

dian in spokane
            Participant

your doctor should be putting in the request for that, but .. I"m pretty sure mine is the 25

Gene_S
                Participant

Dian,

Where you get tested is very important. Also is it for vitamin D2 or vitamin D3? If your number is actually 25 for vitamin D3, you are WAY below normal. A person fighting cancer show be in the D3 high range between 90 to 100.

Best wishes,

Gene

Gene_S
                  Participant

Dian,

Where you get tested is very important. Also is it for vitamin D2 or vitamin D3? If your number is actually 25 for vitamin D3, you are WAY below normal. A person fighting cancer show be in the D3 high range between 90 to 100.

Best wishes,

Gene

teach
                    Participant

I have chronically low vitamin D levels.  When they were first discovered, I was at 7.  I have been under treatment by a couple of different docs, and highest my D ever got was 25.  The last time I was taking 50,000 units 2X per week I only got it up to 19.  As soon as I am off of it, it plummets again.  No one seems to know why this is so hard for me. 

I have not heard the 90-100 levels.  My doc was trying for 50.  Any ideas on what else I can do?

lhaley
                      Participant

I found this list of ranges on the internet. Internet information isn't always correct but it came from an article that otherwise seemed accurate.  The confusion here could be that  ranges can be given in ng/lm and mnol/L.

Also, if you do a search you will find foods that also provide vitamin D.

Serum level ranges

For optimum health, vitamin D blood levels should be around 50-80 ng/mL (125-200 nmol/L).

ZRT lists a lab reference range for vitamin D at 32-100 ng/mL. Reference ranges represent the range of values that the majority of the population will fall between and are not indicative of values which would be considered optimal.

Studies indicate that for proper health, serum vitamin D levels should be a minimum of 50 ng/mL (125 nmol/L), with optimal levels falling between 50-80 ng/mL (125-200 nmol/L). These values apply to both children and adults.

lhaley
                        Participant

I found this list of ranges on the internet. Internet information isn't always correct but it came from an article that otherwise seemed accurate.  The confusion here could be that  ranges can be given in ng/lm and mnol/L.

Also, if you do a search you will find foods that also provide vitamin D.

Serum level ranges

For optimum health, vitamin D blood levels should be around 50-80 ng/mL (125-200 nmol/L).

ZRT lists a lab reference range for vitamin D at 32-100 ng/mL. Reference ranges represent the range of values that the majority of the population will fall between and are not indicative of values which would be considered optimal.

Studies indicate that for proper health, serum vitamin D levels should be a minimum of 50 ng/mL (125 nmol/L), with optimal levels falling between 50-80 ng/mL (125-200 nmol/L). These values apply to both children and adults.

teach
                          Participant

I have chronically low vitamin D levels.  When they were first discovered, I was at 7.  I have been under treatment by a couple of different docs, and highest my D ever got was 25.  The last time I was taking 50,000 units 2X per week I only got it up to 19.  As soon as I am off of it, it plummets again.  No one seems to know why this is so hard for me. 

I have not heard the 90-100 levels.  My doc was trying for 50.  Any ideas on what else I can do?

dian in spokane
                            Participant

sorry for the confusion Gene. What I meant was that the D 25 is the test I take.

My Vitamin D levels are normal now. They used to be way below normal.

I began testing vitamin D levels not because of my melanoma, but because I had a problem called hyperparathyroidism.. It was a benign tumor on one of my four parathyroids. Not all that rare a condition, it causes a rize in calcium levels in the blood and is one of the causes of osteoporosis. In my case it also caused very low vitamin D levels (mine were down to 13 at one point) SO I did (and still do) vitamin D  supplements.

I had surgery to remove my bad parathyroid a couple of years ago, and I continue to supplement, but my vitamin D levels are quite normal now.

thanks for your concern, and sorry for the confusion

dian in spokane
                              Participant

sorry for the confusion Gene. What I meant was that the D 25 is the test I take.

My Vitamin D levels are normal now. They used to be way below normal.

I began testing vitamin D levels not because of my melanoma, but because I had a problem called hyperparathyroidism.. It was a benign tumor on one of my four parathyroids. Not all that rare a condition, it causes a rize in calcium levels in the blood and is one of the causes of osteoporosis. In my case it also caused very low vitamin D levels (mine were down to 13 at one point) SO I did (and still do) vitamin D  supplements.

I had surgery to remove my bad parathyroid a couple of years ago, and I continue to supplement, but my vitamin D levels are quite normal now.

thanks for your concern, and sorry for the confusion

dian in spokane
                              Participant

your doctor should be putting in the request for that, but .. I"m pretty sure mine is the 25

Gene_S
                                Participant

The most important test is the vitamin D3 test is for 25 Hydroxy.

Lab Corp does the most accurate testing.

For almost any type of blood testing see:

http://www.lef.org/Vitamins-Supplements/Blood-Tests/Blood-Tests.htm

You can get a "free" 6 month  trial membership here, see:

Here is one test that I suggest every cancer patient should be tested for , see

Their tests are usually done at a local Lab Corps testing center. I have personally used them and I am very happy with their services.

For more info on Vitamin D, see:

Gene_S
                                  Participant

The most important test is the vitamin D3 test is for 25 Hydroxy.

Lab Corp does the most accurate testing.

For almost any type of blood testing see:

http://www.lef.org/Vitamins-Supplements/Blood-Tests/Blood-Tests.htm

You can get a "free" 6 month  trial membership here, see:

Here is one test that I suggest every cancer patient should be tested for , see

Their tests are usually done at a local Lab Corps testing center. I have personally used them and I am very happy with their services.

For more info on Vitamin D, see:

killmel
                                    Participant

Hi

Thank you everyone for posting.

I got my Vit D-25-hydroxy test results & my number is 47.

That put me in acceptable range (30-100)ng/ml but read optimal levels of vit D are between (50-80)

I take a multi-vitamnin that gives me  Vit D3 1000 i.u. daily

I have not reviewed the result with my doc but any opinions if I should take more Vitamin D3 to raise my count into the (50-80 range)

Can taking too much D3 cause health issues.

Thanks for all your help.

Wiliiam

killmel
                                        Participant

Hi,

I too was tested fo rviatmin d levels & itcame up 30.

Howmuch vitamin D is suggested daily?? Is there potential health problemswhen you take too much d.

Curious

killmel
                                          Participant

Hi,

I too was tested fo rviatmin d levels & itcame up 30.

Howmuch vitamin D is suggested daily?? Is there potential health problemswhen you take too much d.

Curious

Gene_S
                                            Participant

Hello William,

It is very nice to see that people are finally starting to have their vitamin D levels checked.  The suggested Vitamin D range for people fighting cancer is between 90 and 100.  The proper amount to take is 30 – 35 times your weight.  ie a 200 pound person should take between 6,000 and 7,000 of Vitamin D3 daily.  It should be spaced out during the day and not taken all at once.  As far as high range problems you would have to be seriously in a very high range for any problems.  The best Vitamin D is from the sun many people on this board will throw rocks at me for that statement but 10 to 15 minutes a day at lunch time will not only make you feel a lot better but will also help you raise your natural Vitamin D significantly.  Do a search on my profile for past articles on Vitamin D and blood testing for there are links to many good websites. 

As far as asking your doctor, you probably know more about Vitamin D than he does.  Doctors are more intuned to know about Vitamin D2 and very little if anything about Vitamin D3.  Doctors are taught very little about nutritional value or supplements.

Best Wishes,

Gene

Gene_S
                                              Participant

Hello William,

It is very nice to see that people are finally starting to have their vitamin D levels checked.  The suggested Vitamin D range for people fighting cancer is between 90 and 100.  The proper amount to take is 30 – 35 times your weight.  ie a 200 pound person should take between 6,000 and 7,000 of Vitamin D3 daily.  It should be spaced out during the day and not taken all at once.  As far as high range problems you would have to be seriously in a very high range for any problems.  The best Vitamin D is from the sun many people on this board will throw rocks at me for that statement but 10 to 15 minutes a day at lunch time will not only make you feel a lot better but will also help you raise your natural Vitamin D significantly.  Do a search on my profile for past articles on Vitamin D and blood testing for there are links to many good websites. 

As far as asking your doctor, you probably know more about Vitamin D than he does.  Doctors are more intuned to know about Vitamin D2 and very little if anything about Vitamin D3.  Doctors are taught very little about nutritional value or supplements.

Best Wishes,

Gene

killmel
                                              Participant

Hi

Thank you everyone for posting.

I got my Vit D-25-hydroxy test results & my number is 47.

That put me in acceptable range (30-100)ng/ml but read optimal levels of vit D are between (50-80)

I take a multi-vitamnin that gives me  Vit D3 1000 i.u. daily

I have not reviewed the result with my doc but any opinions if I should take more Vitamin D3 to raise my count into the (50-80 range)

Can taking too much D3 cause health issues.

Thanks for all your help.

Wiliiam

Viewing 7 reply threads
                                            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                            About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics