The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Virotherapy-research Articles – information on the field.

Forums General Melanoma Community Virotherapy-research Articles – information on the field.

Participant

It would appear that the general approach may be viable.  The question is "Is it to the point that the viruses to be used are undertood and modified and will hold to the changes made to them without joning with the host genetic material and causing extra problems.  The following articles provide some  info as to the current state of this approach.  The last article I list is from the Lativian Center that has been working on this area for over 40 years.  They have a treatment called: RIGVIR.

It would appear that the general approach may be viable.  The question is "Is it to the point that the viruses to be used are undertood and modified and will hold to the changes made to them without joning with the host genetic material and causing extra problems.  The following articles provide some  info as to the current state of this approach.  The last article I list is from the Lativian Center that has been working on this area for over 40 years.  They have a treatment called: RIGVIR.

This general approch is under investigation at some US centers.

http://biotech.about.com/b/2009/01/19/cause-for-caution-in-virotherapy-research.htm

[http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?cmd=…]

http://www.nature.com/cgt/journal/v9/n12/full/7700535a.html

http://www.jci.org/articles/view/41431

http://www.thedenverchannel.com/news/22425106/detail.html

HERPES IN CANCER TREATMENT: Researchers at the University of California, San Diego are testing a type of immunotherapy for melanoma using engineered herpes viruses. Using a needle similar to that used for the flu vaccine, researchers inject the herpes virus into a melanoma lesion. The idea is the presence of the new virus alerts the body's immune system to attack the cancerous area. Daniels said the virus is engineered to be safe for non-cancerous cells, and the idea of using viruses to fight cancer has been around for hundreds of years.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18226503

http://www.latvia.travel/en/oncology-%E2%80%93-cancer-virotherapy

RIGVIR – for now the only preparation containing a live natural virus with oncotropic and oncolytic qualities or the ability to find and destroy malignant cells. It has passed all phases of clinical trials and has been registered in Latvia (reg. Nr. 04-0229), available in Latvia's pharmacies"

I would like to know what the actual trials were and the fatual conlusions drawn by reputable Oncologists.  Would like to have a trial conducted on the RIGVIR thru the FDA. or at leat thru some of the majjor USA Cancer Centers.

Viewing 14 reply threads
    • Replies
        bradcope1
        Participant

Jerry, thanks for posting this. Virotherapy keeps coming up and appears to be close to becoming a real alternative. Genelux in the UK seems to be one of the companies working hard to bring this to market. I have been curious about Latvia's leadership role in this area. The comparitive 5-10 year "statistics" that they tout are almost too good be true. Would love to hear from people who have experience with this option.

Brad

bradcope1
          Participant

Jerry, thanks for posting this. Virotherapy keeps coming up and appears to be close to becoming a real alternative. Genelux in the UK seems to be one of the companies working hard to bring this to market. I have been curious about Latvia's leadership role in this area. The comparitive 5-10 year "statistics" that they tout are almost too good be true. Would love to hear from people who have experience with this option.

Brad

Karin L
              Participant

My first line of treatment was a clinical trial, Phas 3, using OncoVex.  They injected the serum into the lymph node tumors (there were 5 initially) every 2 weeks.  I also had a met in my liver (initally questioned by CT if it was one or three, they went with one)  and *specks* in my lungs.  The idea was it would awaken the immune system to attack the bad cells and to attack them.  The lymph node tumors changed.  After about 1.5 mos. they were only injecting 3 they could find and one was very small.  Fast forward to 3 mo. scans.  Mets had gone crazy in the liver and I also had bone mets. So, it appears in my case it somewhat worked on the tumors actually injected to a point, but did not attack the mets elsewhere. 

Karin

Karin L
                Participant

My first line of treatment was a clinical trial, Phas 3, using OncoVex.  They injected the serum into the lymph node tumors (there were 5 initially) every 2 weeks.  I also had a met in my liver (initally questioned by CT if it was one or three, they went with one)  and *specks* in my lungs.  The idea was it would awaken the immune system to attack the bad cells and to attack them.  The lymph node tumors changed.  After about 1.5 mos. they were only injecting 3 they could find and one was very small.  Fast forward to 3 mo. scans.  Mets had gone crazy in the liver and I also had bone mets. So, it appears in my case it somewhat worked on the tumors actually injected to a point, but did not attack the mets elsewhere. 

Karin

Karin L
                  Participant

Karin

bradcope1
                  Participant

Brad

bradcope1
                    Participant

I am guessing that this story of a reengineered AIDS virus falls into the same, virotherapy, umbrella. Very exciting and sad at the same time that funding for this research is so far behind.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/44090512/ns/health-cancer/t/new-leukemia-treatment-exceeds-wildest-expectations/#.TrbB4r-5tXc

bradcope1
                      Participant

I am guessing that this story of a reengineered AIDS virus falls into the same, virotherapy, umbrella. Very exciting and sad at the same time that funding for this research is so far behind.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/44090512/ns/health-cancer/t/new-leukemia-treatment-exceeds-wildest-expectations/#.TrbB4r-5tXc

bradcope1
                        Participant

BarbieGirl
                          Participant

JERRY——good to see you post!!  Charlie had mentioned you were "dealing" with the beast again in Boston.  How are things going??  Praying for you, guy.  I love you bunches!!  Keep us updated, k??   *hugz*

~Lisa~

BarbieGirl
                              Participant

Chit, Jerry, got you mixed up with the other Jerry from Cape Cod!!  Hope he's doing okies, too!! 

When's that grand- and great-grandbaby due??  Keep us updated!!  *Hugz*

~Lisa~

BarbieGirl
                                Participant

Chit, Jerry, got you mixed up with the other Jerry from Cape Cod!!  Hope he's doing okies, too!! 

~Lisa~

BarbieGirl
                                  Participant

~Lisa~

JerryfromFauq
                                    Participant

Any excuse to talk to you is good!

Jerry and I call each other "The Other Jerry".  I hate that he's havng so much problems again. Please keep up the prayers for him. He's a great guy.  My 15th Grandbaby is 2 months old now and the Great is due ll/28. (one month before my birthday.)   Hope everythhig is gong well for you.

JerryfromFauq
                                      Participant

Jerry and I call each other "The Other Jerry".  I hate that he's havng so much problems again. Please keep up the prayers for him. He's a great guy.  My 15th Grandbaby is 2 months old now and the Great is due ll/28. (one month before my birthday.)   Hope everythhig is gong well for you.

JerryfromFauq
                                        Participant

BarbieGirl
                                        Participant

JERRY——good to see you post!!  Charlie had mentioned you were "dealing" with the beast again in Boston.  How are things going??  Praying for you, guy.  I love you bunches!!  Keep us updated, k??   *hugz*

~Lisa~

BarbieGirl
                                          Participant

~Lisa~

BrianP
                                            Participant

Thanks for posting this Jerry.  I had just recently asked about this topic inside another thread.  It does seem promising.  For those reading Jerry's links make sure you click on the link at the bottom of the Latvia website or click on this:

http://www.viroterapija.lv/latvian_virotherapy_center_en 

Like others have mentioned, you really have to take these statistics with a grain of salt.  If they are true then it really is ashame that the US research centers are not more active in this field. 

Brian

Stage IIIC, NED for 2 months.

BrianP
                                              Participant

Thanks for posting this Jerry.  I had just recently asked about this topic inside another thread.  It does seem promising.  For those reading Jerry's links make sure you click on the link at the bottom of the Latvia website or click on this:

Like others have mentioned, you really have to take these statistics with a grain of salt.  If they are true then it really is ashame that the US research centers are not more active in this field. 

Brian

BrianP
                                                Participant

Brian

Hereiam
                                                  Participant

Hi all,

I come from Latvia; therefore, I have heard quite a lot about this treatment.

I have to say that I am surprised that it is something new to US, because here this treatment has been popular for some time now. Our media is informing us frequently about the conferences the oncologists attend in order to speak about Virotherapy in detail. If I remember one article I read correctly then Latvian center is currently working with 28 countries worldwide.

Here is something about its export: http://www.baltic-course.com/eng/good_for_business/?doc=44019 As far as I understand, FDA is being particularly slow in researching this treatment. Shame for them!

If you have any questions, feel free to ask. Maybe I will be able to find some other articles in english.

Kind regards,

Hereiam

Hereiam
                                                    Participant

Hi all,

I have to say that I am surprised that it is something new to US, because here this treatment has been popular for some time now. Our media is informing us frequently about the conferences the oncologists attend in order to speak about Virotherapy in detail. If I remember one article I read correctly then Latvian center is currently working with 28 countries worldwide.

Here is something about its export: http://www.baltic-course.com/eng/good_for_business/?doc=44019 As far as I understand, FDA is being particularly slow in researching this treatment. Shame for them!

If you have any questions, feel free to ask. Maybe I will be able to find some other articles in english.

Kind regards,

Hereiam

Hereiam
                                                      Participant

Hi all,

Kind regards,

Hereiam

Viewing 14 reply threads
                                                    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                                    About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics