The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Very New Diagnosis

Forums Cutaneous Melanoma Community Very New Diagnosis

Participant

Hello – My post is fairly premature. I don't have a lot of information yet.  I go in for a consultation with my surgeon on Thursday and am scheduled for surgery and sentinal lympnode biopsy on the 11th.

I'll start with what I do know….I received a call from the dermatologist that removed what I called a mole last Wednesday.  It's been there a very long time (8-10 years) it really hasn't changed (it's always been raised) and I've had it looked at twice in the past with a family practice physician beliving it to be a cyst.  Infact, the dermatologist that removed the top thought it was a scar.

Because of size and the and immediate plan for surgery with lymphnode biopsy that has been put into place I've gathered I'm at least a stage 2.

From what I understand the surgeon will go over the pathology report and after the sugery results I will go through staging and go from there?

Any advice as to what to expect over the next couple weeks and how to deal with the anxiety and stress until then?  Where do I go from staging?  If further treatment is needed I'm assuming I will be referred to an oncologist & at that point I find a specialty center?

The waiting is horrible, I think starting a conversation on this forum will help me deal until I get some answers.  

Donita 

Viewing 2 reply threads
    • Replies
        cancersnewnormal
        Participant

You may be a stage 2. But until you have a copy of the pathology report, indicating the depth of the removed lesion, there really is no way to be sure. Most derms will not schedule for lymph node biopsy for stage 1A, but will for stage 1B. This is all assuming the derm has read the report, and has pathologicall evidence that it is indeed melanoma. Like you, I'm guessing the doc wouldn't schedule you for further excision WITH lymph node biopsy if it the report showed "only" atypical. You may want to ask your derm for a copy of that report. One never knows when it might be helpful to have the original diagnosis at hand. 

After the surgery, there will be a second path report, which includes the status of the sentinal node. THIS is where you will have more accurate staging confirmation. A positive lymph node can send you from 1A or 1B to stage 3. Complicating things further… if a lymph node comes back positive, they'll check additional nodes… and may even send you for a CT to rule out any further spread.

Once you have solid staging, you will be given treatment options… if anything further is needed. If that sentinal node is clear, you may just be looking at continued routine derm check ups.  : )  Sadly, there isn't much you can do in the way of dealing with the stress and anxiety. Distract yourself with regular living life, and try not to dig too far ahead on Google searches of what may or may not be. Once you know for sure what stage you may be, there will be lots of help here from people in the same boat. Answers to your questions will likely flow in long before any follow up appointments with docs. You'll be solidly equipped to ask additional questions of them! : )

Hang in there! The not knowing is a rough mental road!

GrossieGal313
            Participant

Hey Niki – thanks for the rational thinking!  It's crazy how goofey I feel I am mentally right now.  I've gotten a little better over the last few days but my head just went to crazy worst case.

I have had 2 Dr. look at this in the past and neither thought it was a mole or posed any threat.  They thought it was a cyst or scar.  So I never rushed to have it removed which is driving me nuts!

Anyway – I appreciate you posting a response.  Your words did help!

guynamedbilly
            Participant

First thing you should do is don't look for any statistics about survival or cancer calculators or anything like that.  I made that mistake.  All of the ones I've seen are outdated and do not account for modern treatments.  I'm fairly new to this so there are others much more informed than I about everything else, but I can tell you what I went through. 

In July, I got news from my Dermatologist about the biopsy, which put me immediately at at least level 2 because of how thick the tumor was.  I then met with the surgeon, did Pet scan, and MRI, and then did a wide level excision and sentinal lymph node biopsy.  About a week after the surgery, I met with the surgeon again, who told me what they found, which was a micromet in the first lymph node.  I expected at least that much would be likely, based on how thick my melanoma was.  My scans were clean though.  A week or two later I met with my Oncologist, who classified me as stage 3a.  She estimated that if I did nothing at all, my chance of recurrance could be around 60%.  Fortunately, my insurance approved Nivo treatment and I've been getting that ever since.

The stress and anxiety of it all felt nearly unbearable.  My excision was on the back of my head, so I was barely getting any sleep also.  I wrote in a journal all of my thoughts for family and friends.  I felt like, well this is how I die.  But, that's not the way I wanted to go if I did.  Cancer may end up stealing part of my life eventually, but I'm not going to willingly give up the rest of it constantly thinking and worrying about my cancer.  I burned those pages I'd written. Friends and family were essential for me to get over that depression.  If you do not have close relationships, it's worth looking into any support groups or churches in your area.  

Also, I learned how to focus on the little victories and glass that was half full, even if it was only 40% full.  My doctor said she loosely estimated a 60% of recurrance if I did nothing.  Well, that also means a 40% chance of not having a recurrance if I did nothing, and I'm not doing nothing.  I'm doing whatever I can to help bump those odds up.  I jumped in completely on changing diet, exercising, stopped biting my fingernails after 30 years.  Whatever I can do to strengthen my immune system.  Shoot for the things you can do and they all add up.

This board is useful too.  I don't post a lot, and I don't talk a lot either, but I do read a lot.  Information is the most useful tool in getting the right treatment.

Good luck and I'm sorry you're joining us.

GrossieGal313
                Participant

Thank you so much!  So much of what you said is 100% what I'm thinking…my ridiculous first reaction was to run out and start a journal for each of my children.  (I haven't even met a Dr. face to face)  

And then I went straight to planning on changing my eating, exercising, alcohol consumption…..so yeah it's a lot to take in and I haven't even started.

I have chosen not to tell my family until I have some answers so it's just me, my husband and a good friend right now.  I do have support but honestly it feels different hearing from people who really get it!

I did find a support group very close to my house which I will consider if I can't shake the anxiety or feel like I'm getting depressed!

Thanks for reaching out to me!  Have a good night.

jetdoctor67
                Participant

Hello GrossieGal313,

Sorry to hear about your recent diagnosis. I was also recently diagnosed with nodular malignant melanoma (on my left ear).  It’s amazing how one small spot on my ear is changing my life.  I did my consolation with my surgeon and he recommended a WDE and SLNB which is scheduled for Oct. 25th.  I am worried but my wife keeps telling me not but it’s not that easy.  On my pathology report I am staged at pT1b.  Good luck and God Bless.  Terry 

GrossieGal313
                    Participant

Hi Terry – 

Wanted to wish you luck next week.

I went through the WDE and SLNB on Wednesday got results on Friday.  Surgery went well and my care team was excellent. 

I share your worry – I totally get it!  I wanted to share that my experience went well just to send you well wishes and positive vibes! 

Donita 

GrossieGal313
                      Participant

Hi Terry – 

Wanted to wish you luck next week.

I went through the WDE and SLNB on Wednesday got results on Friday.  Surgery went well and my care team was excellent. 

I share your worry – I totally get it!  I wanted to share that my experience went well just to send you well wishes and positive vibes! 

Donita 

jetdoctor67
                        Participant

Donita,

Thanks for replying. I'm happy to hear your surgery went well and I hope your results were negative. 

Terry  

Viewing 2 reply threads
                    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                    About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics