The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Vemurafinib vs Dabrafenib

Forums General Melanoma Community Vemurafinib vs Dabrafenib

Participant

Hi there!

It's been such a long time since I've been on here!  Reading some recent posts has been very informative and comforting.  I'm wondering if anyone here has been switched from the Vemurafinib to Dabrafenib?  I have been discussing this switch with my doctor because of toxicity.  I've been having some unpleasant side effects but nothing major, more annoying than anything.  Some gastrointestinal problems, chills and joint pain/swelling mostly.  I've been on the Vemurafinib for just about a year and it has stabilized my disease nicely shrinking mets in my brain, liver, adrenal gland and a para tracheal lymph node.  I havn't had to go for gamma knife since April which has been a very welcome break.

I am a very busy mom of 3 boys and can't help but wonder if I switched if it would make life easier.  I'm told that the Dabrafinib is usually better tolerated and has been found to be very effective for brain mets.  I definitely don't want to mess with a good thing though.  I count myself very lucky to have stable disease after 4 years with metastatic disease.  I am waiting for my scan results as we speak and will see my doctor again Feb. 5.  I have entertained the idea of IL2 or TIL but we are waiting for the right time since things have stabilized. 

Any input is much appreciated!  I know so many of you have so much insight and experience with melanoma.  Thanks!

Natalie

Viewing 5 reply threads
    • Replies
        bj63
        Participant

Sounds like we're in a similar place.  I was on vemurafenib and NED for a year but developed brain mets that were discovered in late October.  After WBR treatments, my doctor switched me to the dabrafenib, which I've been taking for about 12 weeks. Now that it's FDA approved and my insurance will pay for it, my doctor isadding the trametinib, which I'll start as soon as the prescription arrives.

Since the switch, I have seen a reduction in the size of the largest of my brain tumors, so the dabrafenib definitely seems to be doing the job for now.  I had just about the full range of side effects on the vemurafenib – body alopecia, intermittent body and joint aches, iritis/uveitis, extreme sun sensitivity, etc.   Since switching I've not had any new symptoms like that.  It's winter (and cold) here, so I've not been outside in the sun but expect my skin to remain pretty sun sensitive after the vemurafenib treatment and the changes from it.

The only thing about the dabrafenib that I don't like is that it has to be taken on an empty stomach 1 hour after, and two hours before a meal – meaning that you've got to schedule your medicine and meal times pretty rigorously.  Also, it tends to upset my stomach a bit. Otherwise, the switch has been pretty seamless for me.

bj63

love4life
            Participant

Thanks so much for your reply.  It's nice to hear that it's working well for you.  I know what you mean about the sun sensitivity!  I was getting burns sitting in the shade completely covered this summer.  The trametinib is not yet approved here in canada.  They are finishing up with the clinical trials shortly last I heard.  I was excluded from that trial last February because of a few new brain mets.  I would much prefer the combo.  

love4life
              Participant

Thanks so much for your reply.  It's nice to hear that it's working well for you.  I know what you mean about the sun sensitivity!  I was getting burns sitting in the shade completely covered this summer.  The trametinib is not yet approved here in canada.  They are finishing up with the clinical trials shortly last I heard.  I was excluded from that trial last February because of a few new brain mets.  I would much prefer the combo.  

love4life
                Participant

bj63
                Participant

Sounds like we're in a similar place.  I was on vemurafenib and NED for a year but developed brain mets that were discovered in late October.  After WBR treatments, my doctor switched me to the dabrafenib, which I've been taking for about 12 weeks. Now that it's FDA approved and my insurance will pay for it, my doctor isadding the trametinib, which I'll start as soon as the prescription arrives.

Since the switch, I have seen a reduction in the size of the largest of my brain tumors, so the dabrafenib definitely seems to be doing the job for now.  I had just about the full range of side effects on the vemurafenib – body alopecia, intermittent body and joint aches, iritis/uveitis, extreme sun sensitivity, etc.   Since switching I've not had any new symptoms like that.  It's winter (and cold) here, so I've not been outside in the sun but expect my skin to remain pretty sun sensitive after the vemurafenib treatment and the changes from it.

The only thing about the dabrafenib that I don't like is that it has to be taken on an empty stomach 1 hour after, and two hours before a meal – meaning that you've got to schedule your medicine and meal times pretty rigorously.  Also, it tends to upset my stomach a bit. Otherwise, the switch has been pretty seamless for me.

bj63

bj63
                  Participant

bj63

doro
                    Participant

Hi Natalie,

There was a somewhat similar thread (about switching to the combo rather than Tafinlar alone) recently that might be helpful: http://www.melanoma.org/find-support/patient-community/mpip-melanoma-patients-information-page/switching-zelboraf-brafmek

Best,

Doro

love4life
                        Participant

Thanks Dora!  I read this and found it very helpful.  It's so nice to hear others experiences.  I don't know anyone else taking any of these drugs so it makes me feel somewhat normal coming on here.

love4life
                          Participant

Thanks Dora!  I read this and found it very helpful.  It's so nice to hear others experiences.  I don't know anyone else taking any of these drugs so it makes me feel somewhat normal coming on here.

love4life
                            Participant

doro
                            Participant

Hi Natalie,

There was a somewhat similar thread (about switching to the combo rather than Tafinlar alone) recently that might be helpful: http://www.melanoma.org/find-support/patient-community/mpip-melanoma-patients-information-page/switching-zelboraf-brafmek

Best,

Doro

doro
                              Participant

Hi Natalie,

Best,

Doro

Viewing 5 reply threads
                            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                            About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics