The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

VEMURAFENIB TOO EXPENSIVE…CAN I EVER HOPE TO RECEIVE IT FOR FREE OR WITH A HUGE DISCOUNT?

Forums Cutaneous Melanoma Community VEMURAFENIB TOO EXPENSIVE…CAN I EVER HOPE TO RECEIVE IT FOR FREE OR WITH A HUGE DISCOUNT?

Participant
      My mum was diagnosed with melanoma on scalp, stage 4 in October 2011. A simple mole she had for years became black and ulcerated. IT was immediately removed, but without safety margins:(. After a single month, the cancer came back, with new primary and a few black dots near. She had another surgery in 2 months, carried out by another doctor, who was amazed to find that in this world in 2013, melanoma was removed initially without safety margins. She had it removed and a skin graft from her leg was put on her scalp. She received Interferon, for one year. Simultaneously she's been through chemo, DACARBAZINE only, because she is also diabetic. This year, almost one year after diagnosis she started to feel pain in her chest. She thought is just smth that will go away. A PET Scan carried out one month prior to her new chest pain revealed NOTHING. So she went to another clinic to find out she had lots of metastasis in her chest area :(.
      She continued chemo, but with no results at all. For 3 months she mainly laid on bed, sometimes she cried being in pain.
      I asked her to do the BRAF test, and she is positive.
      Now I bought her Vemurafenib, which is soooo expensive. In only 4 days of treatment the lymph node near her ear decresead. She started to walk again, she started to cook, she takes short walks, she says the pain reduced (in only 10 days). SOmetimes I think: can that be possible? 

DOES ANYONE KNOW IF THERE IS A PLACE ON THIS EARTH WHERE I CAN GET THIS VEMURAFENIB(ZELBORAF) REDUCED OR FOR FREE?
      ROCHE OFFFERS A DISCOUNT, BUT EVEN SO, IS STILL TO EXPENSIVE FOR ME 🙁
    Viewing 2 reply threads
    • Replies
        jmmm
        Participant

Are you in the US?  If so…If she has private insurance (not Medicare or medicaid), google Zelboraf Access Solutions.  They will pay 80% of the copay for the meds.  Very easy to do the paperwork and it can start almost immediately.  I think the most you'd have to pay is $100 per month.  If not, there are several organizations that can help…the Healthwell Foundation (the paperwork is awful, though!).  I think Needy Meds helps with it.  There are various organizations that can help…maybe others know other groups that help.  Worst case call Genetech (the manufacturer) and ask if they have other suggestions for help.

Ioana
            Participant

Thank you! I wasn;t expecting such a prompt answer.

My mum is in Romania, I live in the UK. I could help her with one month and I can buy pills for another month, but I do not know how I will pay the next months.:( I am giving my entire salary.

I will look into those links. I first saw GENETECH on the internet and that is how I started to feel there is still hope for me.

Thanks a lot!

Ioana

Bubbles
              Participant

You might want to contact Catherine Poole of the web site: Melanoma International. She has connections beyond the US and may be able to offer you help. Wishing you and your mom my best…..Celeste

Golda_
                Participant
                  Unfortunately,for not us residents are bound hands (((.. we are also compelled to buy this medicine. Already 7 boxes were purchaded on 56. Our debt is increasing… this is unfair, because of the money there is no choice. We comsider the option to sell the apartament and move to rent.
                  Golda_
                  Participant
                    Unfortunately,for not us residents are bound hands (((.. we are also compelled to buy this medicine. Already 7 boxes were purchaded on 56. Our debt is increasing… this is unfair, because of the money there is no choice. We comsider the option to sell the apartament and move to rent.
                    Golda_
                    Participant
                      Bubbles
                      Participant

You might want to contact Catherine Poole of the web site: Melanoma International. She has connections beyond the US and may be able to offer you help. Wishing you and your mom my best…..Celeste

Bubbles
                        Participant

Ioana
                          Participant

My mum is in Romania, I live in the UK. I could help her with one month and I can buy pills for another month, but I do not know how I will pay the next months.:( I am giving my entire salary.

I will look into those links. I first saw GENETECH on the internet and that is how I started to feel there is still hope for me.

Thanks a lot!

Ioana

Ioana
                            Participant

Thanks a lot!

Ioana

jmmm
                            Participant

Are you in the US?  If so…If she has private insurance (not Medicare or medicaid), google Zelboraf Access Solutions.  They will pay 80% of the copay for the meds.  Very easy to do the paperwork and it can start almost immediately.  I think the most you'd have to pay is $100 per month.  If not, there are several organizations that can help…the Healthwell Foundation (the paperwork is awful, though!).  I think Needy Meds helps with it.  There are various organizations that can help…maybe others know other groups that help.  Worst case call Genetech (the manufacturer) and ask if they have other suggestions for help.

jmmm
                              Participant

Viewing 2 reply threads
                            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                            About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics