The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Vemurafenib Question

Forums General Melanoma Community Vemurafenib Question

Participant
      In March 2010 I started in a phase 2 clinical trial of what would become vemurafenib, Zelboraf. That was followed by a follow on study that I still participate in. In December 2010 my PET/CT scans stopped showing any hypermetabolic activity and the two lung tumors that show on CT, stopped shrinking in February 2012. Ever since February 2012 the tumors have not changed and my doctor believes what shows on the scans could be scar tissue.

We are now contemplating stopping medication. I’m looking for any comments from others that have been on vemurafenib and stopped due to being NED.

Viewing 1 reply thread
    • Replies
        Richard_K
        Participant
          Well I pulled the plug, I am no longer taking vemurafenib. My doctor is very certain that what shows on the scans is scar tissue, so sure, they do not do biopsies in similar cases to confirm any more.

I’ve been very lucky with the long term results and drug tolerance I’ve had. There is a risk of developing drug resistance. If having stopped and there is a recurrence I can go back on the drug. If I stayed and it became resistant, I would need to find another drug.

I will continue with a schedule of three month checkups with her as well as three month full derm exams. Also, for the first year, scans very three months instead of the current six month scan schedule.

Bubbles
          Participant
            That’s wonderful, Dick!!! Sorry no one answered you, but I think you are blazing a trail here!! Quite a number on this board have dealt with your conundrum – still having “something” on scan – but making the decision that the “what’s its” are no longer active tumors – and then being faced with making the decision of whether or not to continue IMMUNOTHERAPY. Many have to good effect. I am very hopeful that you will share their experience in regard to targeted therapy! Thanks for sharing and keep us posted. May you continue to be NEAD for years and years and years!!!

PS I still smile when I think of your sock story!!! Love, celese

Bubbles
              Participant
                Just realized I was not very clear! (Nor can I spell my name!! HA!) At any rate, I mean folks have made the decision to stop immunotherapy despite a ditzel, determined to no longer be an active tumor, with good effect! c
          Viewing 1 reply thread
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
          About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics