The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Veins?

Participant
      Is it possible that my veins are starting get scarred or something? I’ve had 10 Keytruda infusions and a few other IV treatments since April/May. Objectively, that doen’t seem like a lot to me, but the most recent time was almost a week ago, and both my arms are still bruised and sore. They couldn’t get a vein in one arm; and had to go for the other; that was a first for me.
    Viewing 1 reply thread
    • Replies
        tedtell1
        Participant
          Good morning;
          I was always an “easy” stick prior to treatment. Not anymore. It is rare for them to get a vein successfully on the first try and then even when they do, the vein sometimes blows up and they have to go somewhere else. It seems to be happen to quite a few people that the veins get worse as your treatment progresses. Hope it doesn’t get worse for you. If it gets really bad, my doctor offered me a port if I have problems with my veins. In the future if I need treatments again I probably will have to have a port.
          Happy new year, here’s hoping you become NED!
          Ted
            tkoss
            Participant
              I was making this enquiry on other sites in as much as I am supposed to have port installed ASAP . I was not involved in any kind of discussion of port vs. IV. Doc simply stated a port would be installed.

Like other posters I have never had any problems with IV’s. My posting questions about IV vs ports to other internet forums found that the majority of rather limited respondents had no problems with IV’s over the course of their treatment.

Bubbles
            Participant
              Deciding when to have a port placed is a little tricky, in that placing an IV easily with no bruising, persistent soreness, or multiple sticks not only has a lot to do with the condition of ones vein….but A GREAT DEAL to do with the skill of the practitioner!!! Truth be told – some folks are just better at placing them than others!!!!! Additionally, as someone who has not only administered old school chemo – but has also been the recipient of immunotherapy AND old school chemo – chemo is far more caustic than immunotherapy – taking a much bigger toll on your veins. It is far more likely that one can tolerate immunotherapy without the placement of a port than one can tolerate chemo infusions without one. Still, lots of folks on this board and in the process of being treated with immunotherapy generally find that having a port makes their life much easier. Were I in your shoes, I might give my treatments without a port a couple of more tries, but if difficulties persist getting a port may be very helpful. Further, if you discover that one person has persistent problems getting your IV going in one stick….there is no reason you shouldn’t request to be stuck by those who CAN get your IV set more easily!

May things go well hence forth!! celeste

Viewing 1 reply thread
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
          About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics