The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

VATS Lobectomy on Thursday

Forums General Melanoma Community VATS Lobectomy on Thursday

Participant

I'm going in for a VATS lobectomy to take the lower lobe of my left lung this Thursday (3/28/13).

I'm a 29 year old male.

I'm going in for a VATS lobectomy to take the lower lobe of my left lung this Thursday (3/28/13).

I'm a 29 year old male.

I was previously stage iiib with 2 involved lymph nodes in right neck, had full rt neck dissection, radiation and 1 mo high dose interferon and 3 months low dose interferon before stopping in October of 2012.  Scan in November of 2012 showed a dim spot in the lung and we watched and waited.  Unfortunately it got bigger and brighter and is too deep in the lung to biopsy so docs are going to nip it in the bud and take the lobe.  This is the only spot that is showing up anywhere, so I'm hoping that this procedure is the end of it.

Has anyone had a VATS lobectomy?  

Would love to hear some tips from warriors that have been through this one.

Viewing 11 reply threads
    • Replies
        jag
        Participant

2 lung surgeries, 1 vats lobectomy-home in 2 days-painful and took adjustment the first 3-4 months.  The next year I hiked from the bottom of Yosemite Canyon to the top of Half Dome in one day.

Initially allow the basic surgical site to heal.  After that, plenty of aerobic excercise to allow your other lungs to expand and fill up the space-to compensate.

Good Luck!

John

jag
          Participant

2 lung surgeries, 1 vats lobectomy-home in 2 days-painful and took adjustment the first 3-4 months.  The next year I hiked from the bottom of Yosemite Canyon to the top of Half Dome in one day.

Initially allow the basic surgical site to heal.  After that, plenty of aerobic excercise to allow your other lungs to expand and fill up the space-to compensate.

Good Luck!

John

jag
            Participant

Good Luck!

John

buffcody
              Participant

Also had the VATS to remove lower lobe of right lung.  I left the hospital late on the 3rd day. A fair amount of pain on movement while in hospital after surgery but not as bad as the days went by at home.  I did extensive walking right away at home and was back swimming laps 6 weeks after the operation when I was allowed back in the pool.  Swam in a meet the end of the following month.  I noticed quite a bit of coughing for a couple months and the pull on the area, which I can still feel sometimes when stretching it a lot with some exercises.  I only notice the loss of the lobe when I look at the clock and see I can't go as fast as I once could walking or swimming, but some of that may simply be that I have not exercised myself enough.  All is all, at this distance, no big, big deal.  Unfortunately, after supposedly being NED for almost 3 months, 2 brain tumors showed up.  Now I am presumablly all clear except for a small met in my left buttock.

buffcody
                Participant

Also had the VATS to remove lower lobe of right lung.  I left the hospital late on the 3rd day. A fair amount of pain on movement while in hospital after surgery but not as bad as the days went by at home.  I did extensive walking right away at home and was back swimming laps 6 weeks after the operation when I was allowed back in the pool.  Swam in a meet the end of the following month.  I noticed quite a bit of coughing for a couple months and the pull on the area, which I can still feel sometimes when stretching it a lot with some exercises.  I only notice the loss of the lobe when I look at the clock and see I can't go as fast as I once could walking or swimming, but some of that may simply be that I have not exercised myself enough.  All is all, at this distance, no big, big deal.  Unfortunately, after supposedly being NED for almost 3 months, 2 brain tumors showed up.  Now I am presumablly all clear except for a small met in my left buttock.

buffcody
                  Participant

aldakota22
                    Participant

Prayers sent for your operation on ThursdayHoping like you say this nips it in the bud,No matter always keep on the search for the possibility of it raising its ugly head at any time.Beat the Beast.  Al

aldakota22
                      Participant

Prayers sent for your operation on ThursdayHoping like you say this nips it in the bud,No matter always keep on the search for the possibility of it raising its ugly head at any time.Beat the Beast.  Al

aldakota22
                        Participant

Erinmay22
                          Participant

Hey Jeff – like others I have also had a VAT's procedure.  (I did a post on my blog titlted Oh Vats! – can't pull it up on my work computer right now).  It was done 2 years ago.   Just left with 3 small scars.  The hospital stay was I believe 3 days and 2 nights.  They bascially want to keep you long enough to make sure your lung doesn't collapse or have fluid in it.  I felt 100 times better once they took the chest tube out.  That was probably the worst part of it!  As the fellow said when they removed it – well it was like having a spear stuck in your side!'.  seriously it's a monster tube!  

Recovery was pretty good.  I actually only took a week off from work (probably should have taken more time) and 3 weeks later was traveling for work (again, in hindsight probably not the best decision)…  Mine was a biopsy where they took 2 sections – both from my left lung (one upper lobe one lower).  I was 32 at the time.

Hope that helps!  Best of luck to you!!  I thought this surgery was easier than having the lymph nodes removed from under my right arm.  Now the small intestine surgery was another story… lol!

Just make sure to get up and walking right away! and do the breathing exercises.  

Erin

Erinmay22
                            Participant

Hey Jeff – like others I have also had a VAT's procedure.  (I did a post on my blog titlted Oh Vats! – can't pull it up on my work computer right now).  It was done 2 years ago.   Just left with 3 small scars.  The hospital stay was I believe 3 days and 2 nights.  They bascially want to keep you long enough to make sure your lung doesn't collapse or have fluid in it.  I felt 100 times better once they took the chest tube out.  That was probably the worst part of it!  As the fellow said when they removed it – well it was like having a spear stuck in your side!'.  seriously it's a monster tube!  

Recovery was pretty good.  I actually only took a week off from work (probably should have taken more time) and 3 weeks later was traveling for work (again, in hindsight probably not the best decision)…  Mine was a biopsy where they took 2 sections – both from my left lung (one upper lobe one lower).  I was 32 at the time.

Hope that helps!  Best of luck to you!!  I thought this surgery was easier than having the lymph nodes removed from under my right arm.  Now the small intestine surgery was another story… lol!

Just make sure to get up and walking right away! and do the breathing exercises.  

Erin

Erinmay22
                              Participant

Erin

Viewing 11 reply threads
                            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                            About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics