The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Vaginal Melanoma – How exactly will they diagnose?

Forums Cutaneous Melanoma Community Vaginal Melanoma – How exactly will they diagnose?

Participant
      Hi,

I have a history of dysplastic nevi in thigh and buttocks area following a burn 7 years ago. One of the moles had severely dysplastic. I have very few moles in my body and the 5 that were dysplastic were all new moles. Ranging from mild to mild-moderate and lastly moderate-severe (this one was all pink almost looked liked a mosquito bite).

Anyways I have been having vaginal pain for the last 3 weeks and even visited a OBGYN-oncologist. Today I had a vaginal ultrasound and all organs looked Ok, but I noticed when they moved the wand toward one of the walls that was were the pain is coming from, almost as if I have something on the skin of the vaginal wall. OBGYN has done examinations with hand but hasn’t actually looked in there with a light. Is this how vaginal melanoma would be found? And can it go deep down inside? I’ve been reading it’s mostly vulva and outside but I’m unsure… will not see the OBGYN until next week.

My question is what were the symptoms for vaginal melanoma and how should it be diagnosed. I’ve been to OBGYN oncologist twice already but I feel He’s overlooking if not looking inside visually. I have a CTScan of the Urinary Track tomorrow for other reasons… would vaginal melanoma be seen in a CT Scan?

Thank you!

Viewing 1 reply thread
    • Replies
        Carlsbad317
        Participant
          First, my prayers are with you. Second, there is an app called belong that is a free download. I recently ran across it when another person on this site mentioned it.
          There are a few people that have posted about similar diagnosis and shared their stories. They also mentioned another site that was created just for the diagnosis location.
          I wish you the best.
            mary1233
            Participant
              From my experience with a mucosal melanoma lesion in the vagina, the only definitive way to diagnose is with a biopsy.

My best to you.
              Mary

Bubbles
            Participant
              Hello anon. Sorry for your concern. First and most importantly, you should talk openly about your worries regarding your status and your care with your OB/GYN. Secondly, though not an absolute, cancer of any sort, is rarely painful. Things have to be rather advanced for pain due to cancer, specifically melanoma, to occur. I have never felt pain due to melanoma. And this is coming from someone with melanoma to two different skin locations, lymph nodes, lung, brain and tonsil. So…. Finally, if you are concerned, you should request a biopsy of the area. That is the only way to identify cancer of any sort and in your case, may be needed just to figure out what is going on with the area that is causing you pain. A biopsy can id cancer, as well as the type of cells that are present that might be causing inflammation, etc. Additionally, in your case I would also request a culture to determine if there is any sort of infection. Hope that helps. celeste
          Viewing 1 reply thread
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
          About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics