The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

UV cured nail polish dangers for the ladies

Forums Cutaneous Melanoma Community UV cured nail polish dangers for the ladies

Participant

Not only do we need to discuss our own melanoma treatments, but we also need to talk about preventing this cancer. We have all heard of how bad it is to use indoor UV bulb tanning beds, but I never hear anyone talk about the dangers of UV cured nail coatings and polish. Did you know you can get a melanoma under your nail bed? Did you know melanoma under the nail bed goes mostly undetected and is more fatal? Think of it you have an intense UV light on your hands, nails and nail bed every 2 weeks when you get your nails done ( or did as some may say). 

Think about this you do not get to see what is going on under your nail bed because your nails are painted all the time. Does your nail person do anything to protect your skin on your hand around the nail or just stick your whole hand under the UV light source to cure the nail coating? 

I am a 51 YO male stage 3B melanoma patient  and never had my nails done but I am a coatings chemist and would never place my hand under intense UV light. I also have a friend at 41 YO male with melanoma found under his thumb nail. I assume he never had his nail done either. His melanoma went miss diagnosed for 6 months. Then he had his thumb removed, then had his lymph nodes removed. He started as a stage 3B like me, but unfortunately his melanoma progressed to stage 4.  

My point in all of this is ladies do not have your nail treatments using UV cure coatings. Use old school lacquer. I understand your nails may not be as durable or as pretty as your designs and color blending will be limited. One the plus side you will always have all your digits. 

Viewing 4 reply threads
    • Replies
        Becky
        Participant

Thank you for posting this…I am guilty of this but think the same thing every time. My sons melanoma was oral, so not sun or UV related, but I know even though my hands are under the UV for a few minutes, it can't be good. I will think twice next time I get my nails done.

Becky

Marksa2570
          Participant

I had a quick question… do you/anyone think the LED lights with teeth whitening are dangerous?    The lighting is directed at your teeth but still hits your gums and lips.  

I've had precancerous stuff on my lips so I haven't gone back.    

geriakt
              Participant

It all depends on the wavelength of the light source not the type of light source. Nail coatings cure a cemical called MMA using a UV light generated by LED.  Typically a dentist protects the flesh around the teeth with a protective gel. You may want to try a natural teeth whitener. I use a combo of coconut oil, backing code, and turmeric. 

dmalone
              Participant

Agree. I won't get the no chip/gel manicures again. The UV lights are a huge concern, but also when the polish is removed, chemical infused cotton balls sit on your fingers for 10 minutes to break down the polish. Anything applied topically is also absorbed systemically…not good all around.

stars
                Participant

I've had it done twice but never again. Not only – as you say – do your fingertips get sizzled with UV light, the polish stays on forever (one time it lasted a month) and who knows what's going on under the nail when it's totally obscured by thick lacquer/polish? I also didn't like the way it was removed… basically your fingernails and fingertips are soaked for ages and then they use a kind of mini-grinder to grind it off. Thanks for your post, geriakt!

jenny22
                  Participant

I think about this often, as i am gulity of having those manicures every 3 weeks…However, I wear the  SPF 50 GLOVE, so my hands are portected while under the light….now have to worry about just the nail and fingertip being exposed…..hmmmm?????

geriakt
                      Participant
                        Would you like to talk to my friend that had his thumb removed. He is now stage 4. Regular mail polish is safer.
                        casagrayson
                        Participant

But your friend didn't get gel nails, I'm assuming.  Being cautious is certainly important, but I don't think bringing in your friend's story is a good example.

Viewing 4 reply threads
                    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                    About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics