The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

USC Wrote about my Mom

Forums General Melanoma Community USC Wrote about my Mom

Participant

My Mom is a total success story when it comes to melanoma and the revolutionarily immunotherapies now available. She was diagnosed on Halloween in 2013 with melanoma. By Thanksgiving we knew she had brain mets too – after a misdiagnosis!  We were lucky enough to eventually find the right doctors and she got the right treatment Yervoy and Gamma Knife Radiation. 

She was lucky for more than one reason. The first being that the 3rd opinion found the brain mets which were missed. She was treated 4 days before starting treatment at USC with Yervoy. The second is because she was a supper responder and the tumors just melted away before our eyes… Finally, when we got an answer we didn't like about a brain MRI we headed to USC for a second opinion. Her new doctor found another misdiagnosis! My Mom was treated successfully for 17 brain mets a week later!  If it weren't for the folks at USC (and a daughters persistence) I am sure my Mom's outcome would not have been as good as it's been.

Here is her story!

PS

Mom's been treated for 28 brain mets!

When in doubt get a second opinion. It can make all the difference sometimes.

Viewing 8 reply threads
    • Replies
        Tracyyy
        Participant

Wow, that's amazing! Thanks for sharing.

ed williams
          Participant

Nice story Patina!!!

Bubbles
            Participant

Wonderful!  Your mom is lucky to have such a tireless advocate for a daughter!!  celeste

Irishone21
              Participant

What a wonderful story….an inspiration!

sister of patient
                Participant

Hey Patina – Your mom's story has always been so inspiring. I'm glad that so many others will get to hear of it too. And she looks great – literally "shining." My best to both of you!!!

Barb

cancersnewnormal
                  Participant

Shut the front door! This is AWESOME! I ask about "your mom" (no name ever disclosed) each time I'm at USC. 🙂  She and I have patterned so similarly… I've followed your posts about her since coming into this forum. Always enjoy hearing how well she's doing. USC's toughest patient! Los Olivos… I used to ride my bike down Foxen Canyon and "rest stop" in the beautiful little town on days off. That was pre-stage IV. Not sure I could make the hilly 70 mile round trip these days. If your mom is ever up for a cup of coffee and a chat with USC's #2…. I'd love to meet her.  [email protected] 

CancerSpouse
                    Participant

How inspiriting! Thanks for posting this and wishing your Mom and the rest of the family continued good health! ~ Carol

DZnDef
                      Participant

What a great article on your Mom, Patina.  I remember her story well.  So glad she continues to do well.  I will be seeing a brain radiation guy on Wednesday that works directly with my oncologist.  Not my regular brain guy as he is off this week.  I have had good experiences with gamma knife so far.  I don't think Keytruda ever kicked in for me though.  Loved the picture of your Mom.  My Mom is 83 and runs around more than anyone half her age that I know.  She's off to Greece in a couple of weeks, then Scotland a month later.  I wish I had my Mom's energy.  Thanks for posting, Patina!

Cheers!

Maggie

I love this!  Thanks so much for sharing.

Viewing 8 reply threads
                    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                    About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics