The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Urinary blockage on Ipi?

Forums General Melanoma Community Urinary blockage on Ipi?

Participant

We're in the ER because my husband seems to have a sudden blockage. We don't know if it's the melanoma – he has many mets in the abdominal area – he is also on ipi, and had many lymph nodes removed in the groin area. He is being catheterized now but I'm not sure ER staff fully "get" all factors.

has anyone else had this experience.

Viewing 5 reply threads
    • Replies
        Janner
        Participant

I have no idea if ipi can cause a blockage, but certainly some type of tumor can.  Last year, my stage IV father who also has prostate cancer ended up in the ER with a urinary blockage.  His was due to the prostate cancer, not melanoma.  Catheritzation got him past the blockage and drugs got him to the point where he could function without a catheter.  Hoping they can figure out what's the problem soon!

Michelem
            Participant

Interesting. No previous indications of prostate cancer, and no previous urinary issues. Waiting now for CAT scan results – on a gurney in the ER hallway.

POW
              Participant

Ugh!! Those hard, uncomfortable gurneys in those cold, impersonal hallways. Been there, done that! Hang in there, honey. At least you're in a place where your husband can get the assistance he needs and you can both get some answers. Positive vibes coming your way!!

POW
                Participant

Ugh!! Those hard, uncomfortable gurneys in those cold, impersonal hallways. Been there, done that! Hang in there, honey. At least you're in a place where your husband can get the assistance he needs and you can both get some answers. Positive vibes coming your way!!

POW
                  Participant

Michelem
                    Participant

Interesting. No previous indications of prostate cancer, and no previous urinary issues. Waiting now for CAT scan results – on a gurney in the ER hallway.

Michelem
                      Participant

Janner
                      Participant

I have no idea if ipi can cause a blockage, but certainly some type of tumor can.  Last year, my stage IV father who also has prostate cancer ended up in the ER with a urinary blockage.  His was due to the prostate cancer, not melanoma.  Catheritzation got him past the blockage and drugs got him to the point where he could function without a catheter.  Hoping they can figure out what's the problem soon!

Janner
                        Participant

Gene_S
                          Participant

Have you notified the oncologist about the ER visit?  He/she should be notified and they can possibly tell you if it is from the IPI or not.  There should be one on call or that can get in touch with your oncologist.

Judy (loving wife of Gene Stage IV and now NED)

Michelem
                              Participant

Thanks, Judy – yes, we went to the ER after phoning the on-call oncologist, and I have since sent a full note to our regular onc, so hope to hear from him today or tomorrow. Hubby now suffering after effects of catheterization, so the issue isn't really resolved. ER diagnosed him as dehydrated, which I totally don't get. mm

Michelem
                                Participant

Thanks, Judy – yes, we went to the ER after phoning the on-call oncologist, and I have since sent a full note to our regular onc, so hope to hear from him today or tomorrow. Hubby now suffering after effects of catheterization, so the issue isn't really resolved. ER diagnosed him as dehydrated, which I totally don't get. mm

Michelem
                                  Participant

Gene_S
                                  Participant

Have you notified the oncologist about the ER visit?  He/she should be notified and they can possibly tell you if it is from the IPI or not.  There should be one on call or that can get in touch with your oncologist.

Gene_S
                                    Participant

Viewing 5 reply threads
                                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                  About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics