The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Update- Study drugs

Forums General Melanoma Community Update- Study drugs

Participant

Hi All,

Just wanted to give you an update. My husband is participating in a combo drug study :http://clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/show/NCT01155453

Which is a combo study of 2 drugs, one that works on the P13K pathway and one on the MEK pathway ( which is in the same pathway as BRAF).

Hi All,

Just wanted to give you an update. My husband is participating in a combo drug study :http://clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/show/NCT01155453

Which is a combo study of 2 drugs, one that works on the P13K pathway and one on the MEK pathway ( which is in the same pathway as BRAF).

It's been 2 weeks and the change in him is astounding, to me at least, the docs are of course more circumspect, but my hubby can tell the pain is getting less every day, he actually forgot to take his morphine for 2 hours the other night… which is amazing as he is on 60mg slow release twice a day and before the drug was taking breakthrough pain meds at least once a day.

His energy is up, he's sleeping better, apetite is good and for the first time in a long time he's really eager to get back to work!… 🙂 so my fingers and toes remained crossed… the next scan is on Oct 12th.

I'll keep you posted.

Emily

Viewing 15 reply threads
    • Replies
        Rebecca and Bob
        Participant

Emily,

That's great to hear. Your husband knows his own body better than anyone. I hope these doctors finally figure out the right combo with these treatments. Thanks for sharing your information about the trial.

Hope to hear good news for you in Oct.

Rebecca

Rebecca and Bob
          Participant

Emily,

That's great to hear. Your husband knows his own body better than anyone. I hope these doctors finally figure out the right combo with these treatments. Thanks for sharing your information about the trial.

Hope to hear good news for you in Oct.

Rebecca

Sherron
            Participant

Sounds like really good news for your husband.  So glad his pain level is down.

Take Care,

Sherron, wife to Jim

Sherron
              Participant

Sounds like really good news for your husband.  So glad his pain level is down.

Take Care,

Sherron, wife to Jim

lhaley
                Participant

Great that your husband is feeling better!  Please keep us posted.

Linda

lhaley
                  Participant

Great that your husband is feeling better!  Please keep us posted.

Linda

ValinMtl
                    Participant

Thanks for this information Emily.  My prayers are with you for the 12th.  It's so nice to hear that his pain level is getting LESS!!!  I'm keeping this trial on my potential plan B. Val

ValinMtl
                      Participant

Thanks for this information Emily.  My prayers are with you for the 12th.  It's so nice to hear that his pain level is getting LESS!!!  I'm keeping this trial on my potential plan B. Val

Terra
                        Participant

Emily, glad to hear he is feeling better, I hope it continues.  Unfortunately, Derek was randomized into the DTIC arm in his trial instead of the experimental drug, IL-21, but we'll hope for the best.  Worse case it won't work and he can try ipi.  Although we are still waiting for the NRAS testing to be complete at PMH so we con consider this same trial you guys are doing. 

Also, we will be in Toronto for the first trt of DTIC and if Derek tolerates it well, maybe we could get together the next we are in TO for his next injection.  

Will touch base with you, but happy to hear your good news.

Terra
                          Participant

Emily, glad to hear he is feeling better, I hope it continues.  Unfortunately, Derek was randomized into the DTIC arm in his trial instead of the experimental drug, IL-21, but we'll hope for the best.  Worse case it won't work and he can try ipi.  Although we are still waiting for the NRAS testing to be complete at PMH so we con consider this same trial you guys are doing. 

Also, we will be in Toronto for the first trt of DTIC and if Derek tolerates it well, maybe we could get together the next we are in TO for his next injection.  

Will touch base with you, but happy to hear your good news.

jag
                            Participant

very happy to hear this news.  I hope he continues to do better.

jag
                              Participant

very happy to hear this news.  I hope he continues to do better.

MaryD
                                Participant

Very encouraging news!   So glad your husband is feeling better each and wishing him continued improvement with this combo.

Best regards,

Mary

MaryD
                                  Participant

Very encouraging news!   So glad your husband is feeling better each and wishing him continued improvement with this combo.

Best regards,

Mary

sharmon
                                    Participant

Great News,

My husband has been on Mek alone since February and his scans are on the 11th of Oct.  The combo trials are suppose to awesome.  Sounds like it is working and my husband was off all pain meds within and month when he started.  Keep us posted on his progress and praying for a great scan.

Sharon and Brent

sharmon
                                      Participant

Great News,

My husband has been on Mek alone since February and his scans are on the 11th of Oct.  The combo trials are suppose to awesome.  Sounds like it is working and my husband was off all pain meds within and month when he started.  Keep us posted on his progress and praying for a great scan.

Sharon and Brent

Viewing 15 reply threads
                                    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                    About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics