The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

update on Will

Forums General Melanoma Community update on Will

Participant

Will had his fourth round of Carboplatin  & Taxol.  I'm still nervously awaiting his brain scan (MRI) results.  He had the scan at one hospital (local) and they were to fax the results to Rush (his treatment hospital).  I thought it would be there yesterday but nada.   He has not vomited in a week now, which is good.  The fatigue remains serious.  I talked to the chemo nurse about it and she thought that it might be in part from weakness and walking more might help.  That makes sense as he has been somewhat resistant to doing much and has

Will had his fourth round of Carboplatin  & Taxol.  I'm still nervously awaiting his brain scan (MRI) results.  He had the scan at one hospital (local) and they were to fax the results to Rush (his treatment hospital).  I thought it would be there yesterday but nada.   He has not vomited in a week now, which is good.  The fatigue remains serious.  I talked to the chemo nurse about it and she thought that it might be in part from weakness and walking more might help.  That makes sense as he has been somewhat resistant to doing much and has indeed gotten weaker as a result. 

In 3 weeks he has another CT scan to see how the chemo is going and if all is okay, 2 more rounds.  No idea what might come next, though.  I guess it depends on many variables.  Prayers & good thoughts for the various scans much appreciated.  I'm bringing him back to my house again today.  It has become very difficult to care for him in his own place.

Viewing 7 reply threads
    • Replies
        lhaley
        Participant

Lori,

How many days has Will been waiting for the brain MRI results?  It's amazing to me that when someone is having a test like that due to side effects that they have to wait for the information!  I'm glad that the oncologist went forward with the treatment.

Prayers and hugs are coming your way for good scans. Hope Will is able to build up his strength.

Linda

lhaley
          Participant

Lori,

How many days has Will been waiting for the brain MRI results?  It's amazing to me that when someone is having a test like that due to side effects that they have to wait for the information!  I'm glad that the oncologist went forward with the treatment.

Prayers and hugs are coming your way for good scans. Hope Will is able to build up his strength.

Linda

Sherron
            Participant

Hi Lori –

Thinking of you and Will.  You are such a good friend to him.  We all need a friend like you.  Keep us posted.

Take Care,

Sherron, wife to Jim

Sherron
              Participant

Hi Lori –

Thinking of you and Will.  You are such a good friend to him.  We all need a friend like you.  Keep us posted.

Take Care,

Sherron, wife to Jim

Kevin from Atlanta
                Participant

Lori,

I tried a few medications trying to combat extreme fatigue. I have been on Ritalin for the past month and i has made a big difference. I am no longer sleeping 18 hours a day and down to ten. A side effect is that I am always hungry now, but in many situations that would be a good thing. When you have extreme fatigue, all excerise does is make you more tired. I frced myself to walk but really felt no benefit.

Kevin from Atlanta
                  Participant

Lori,

I tried a few medications trying to combat extreme fatigue. I have been on Ritalin for the past month and i has made a big difference. I am no longer sleeping 18 hours a day and down to ten. A side effect is that I am always hungry now, but in many situations that would be a good thing. When you have extreme fatigue, all excerise does is make you more tired. I frced myself to walk but really felt no benefit.

Another Julie
                    Participant

Hi Lori,

Have they checked Will's red blood count lately? My friend David experienced severe fatigue after chemo when his red blood cell count dropped off. He had transfusions twice and this was most helpful in relieving the fatigue. Will might also start to feel better now that the vomiting has stopped. David was always more energetic when he was well hydrated and could enjoy a good meal. And I think you are right about walking. Try to keep him moving, going out for walks while the weather is still nice is a good idea. Good nutrition and exercise combat muscle weakness, and exercise causes the body to release norepinephrine, serotonin and endorphins which make us feel better.

Sending good thoughts your way. You are doing a great job, and I think that Will's response to his current treatment is reason for hope. 

Best wishes,

Julie

Lori C
                        Participant

Thank you all.  Will's hemoglobin was good yesterday so he didn't need more transfusions but before, it was low and he did.   I will ask about ritalin.  The fatigue is a definite issue. 

He had the brain scan on  Monday afternoon.  I assume the delay may be because we had the scan at a local hospital and the treatment at Rush in Chicago, but how hard is it to fax results???  I am trying not to go nuts with anxiety.  Will is eating and showing signs of appetite, fortunately, because that has been a problem (so maybe ritalin, if okay, would help that too).

Thank you for all your kind words.  I love Will.  I get very discouraged at times because people are often so very bleak about his prognosis and wonder why we are bothering to treat this, to continue to fight.  Today my boss casually said, "the melanoma has spread to his liver?  Oh, it won't be long then."  (She has had in-situ mel. 3 times).  I know she is speaking out of ignorance but it was very upsetting.   Will has so much courage in fighting this disease; I want to support his efforts and not get completely disheartened. 

Lori C
                          Participant

Thank you all.  Will's hemoglobin was good yesterday so he didn't need more transfusions but before, it was low and he did.   I will ask about ritalin.  The fatigue is a definite issue. 

He had the brain scan on  Monday afternoon.  I assume the delay may be because we had the scan at a local hospital and the treatment at Rush in Chicago, but how hard is it to fax results???  I am trying not to go nuts with anxiety.  Will is eating and showing signs of appetite, fortunately, because that has been a problem (so maybe ritalin, if okay, would help that too).

Thank you for all your kind words.  I love Will.  I get very discouraged at times because people are often so very bleak about his prognosis and wonder why we are bothering to treat this, to continue to fight.  Today my boss casually said, "the melanoma has spread to his liver?  Oh, it won't be long then."  (She has had in-situ mel. 3 times).  I know she is speaking out of ignorance but it was very upsetting.   Will has so much courage in fighting this disease; I want to support his efforts and not get completely disheartened. 

Another Julie
                          Participant

Hi Lori,

Have they checked Will's red blood count lately? My friend David experienced severe fatigue after chemo when his red blood cell count dropped off. He had transfusions twice and this was most helpful in relieving the fatigue. Will might also start to feel better now that the vomiting has stopped. David was always more energetic when he was well hydrated and could enjoy a good meal. And I think you are right about walking. Try to keep him moving, going out for walks while the weather is still nice is a good idea. Good nutrition and exercise combat muscle weakness, and exercise causes the body to release norepinephrine, serotonin and endorphins which make us feel better.

Sending good thoughts your way. You are doing a great job, and I think that Will's response to his current treatment is reason for hope. 

Best wishes,

Julie

Viewing 7 reply threads
                        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                        About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics