The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Update on treatment with Zelboraf/Tafinlar – NED again after 28 months

Forums General Melanoma Community Update on treatment with Zelboraf/Tafinlar – NED again after 28 months

Participant

Hello everyone,

Thought I should post another update which will give hope to other fellow sufferers.

In March 2014  changed from Zelboraf to Tafinlar which shows lesser side effects for sun sensitivity and skin problems.  Tafinlar contains the same substance as Zelboraf, namely vemurafenib.
      I had some troublesome months since April 2014 when small lesions started to appear on the scan.
      There was among others a possible bone metastasis on the sacrum wing and the doctors were already planning some radiotherapy sessions, but since it didn't hurt anymore, they decided that it was not appropriate to start the irradiation.  They decided to wait until the next scan and the lesion showed unchanged after two months.  
      In the meantime, I had an accident and I broke my hip.  This happened in August and during surgery they placed a hip prothesis.  My scan of September showed also various lesions, but the doctors said that this was due to the accident.
      And then in October 2014, I passed another petscan which shows NED again.
      This is just to say that when the scan shows sometimes worrying lesions, that these can dissappear again after a few months.  During all this time I didn't stop my medication and I feel very good for the moment.  I have very little side effects now and I'm fully recovered from my hip surgery.  
      I will be able to celebrate another wonderful Christmas together with my family. 

Greetings to everyone  ๐Ÿ˜€ 

Viewing 2 reply threads
    • Replies
        rick1981
        Participant

Wow, that's truly remarkable! Very happy for you – looks like you'll have a worryfree Christmas ๐Ÿ™‚

Just one question, apart from the lesions that appeared and disappeared, did you do any blood tests – and did they signal (temporary) progression?

Linda56
            Participant

Hello Rick,

Thank you, I will indeed have a worryfree Christmas and hope the same for you.

I had monthly blood tests which did not show any progression.  My blood tests have always been good.

It was just the scan that showed sometimes lesions.  I had this for a few months in 2013 and again in 2014.

So, you see that must never despair.

Kind regards.

Linda56
              Participant

correction on my previous post :

Zelboraf contains vemurafenib

Tafinlar contains dabrafenib

which are both braf inhibitors

They are both working in the same way.

Linda56
                Participant

Linda56
                  Participant

Linda56
                    Participant

Hello Rick,

I had monthly blood tests which did not show any progression.  My blood tests have always been good.

It was just the scan that showed sometimes lesions.  I had this for a few months in 2013 and again in 2014.

Kind regards.

Linda56
                      Participant

Hello Rick,

Kind regards.

rick1981
                      Participant

Wow, that's truly remarkable! Very happy for you – looks like you'll have a worryfree Christmas ๐Ÿ™‚

Just one question, apart from the lesions that appeared and disappeared, did you do any blood tests – and did they signal (temporary) progression?

rick1981
                        Participant

Viewing 2 reply threads
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                      About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide byย MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics