The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Update on sks2019…Hospice now

Forums Update on sks2019…Hospice now

Participant
      Anyone who can share there experienes on the last few days of their loved ones to being some peace ? Update on mom’s journey…its coming to an end. We called in Hospice yesterday at home. She isnt eating since last 3 days and only taking drops of water since yesterday. Her Blood pressure , Heart rate and oxygen levels are all normal. She is little restless and we are giving lorazopam to calm her down. SHe isnt tallking but responding with yes or no . Hospice nurse said 6 days to couple of weeks. It is so heartbraking to go through this with her. So hard to see her in this state. I love her but at this time i want the suffering to end for her. Not to mention the family drama and blame game going on at home. Lord has turned me away.
    Viewing 4 reply threads
    • Replies
        tedtell1
        Participant
          Gosh, so sorry. I have been through this process twice, with my dad and first wife. I pray for peace and understanding and comfort for your mom. As far as family, remember, grief is displayed in many different ways, my oldest daughter was very angry and difficult as she had guilt from not being around much for the previous year. It is important for people to just let each other be in their own grief mode but also be available for each other if needed. I hope that everything smooths out and people come together to celebrate your mom’s live and living while you grieve. Blessings to you,
          Ted
          MelMel
          Participant
            I am so sorry you are going through this. I can only share personal experience with my grandfather, grandmother and brother-in-law who were all in end of life situations. With my grandfather, we were given a six page information sheet of what to expect and two end of life nurses came to speak to us. Although, I heard what they said, I was in total denial until the very end. My grandfather was in hospital and went into a coma. He woke up 2 days later and lived another 9 days. My grandmother was alert to the very end. I fed her few spoonfulls of her absolute favorite chicken noodle soup which she asked for just two hours before she died. Both of them waited for us to leave even momentarily before they passed. With my grandfather we left to get some sleep before returning 2-3 hours later and with my grandmother, my daughter just stepped into the washroom adjoinging my grandmother’s room. My brother-in-law passed 6 hrs after being admitted and was under heavy sedation of painkillers and went in his laboured sleep.
            When you feel up to it you can look at the following web site. Even though it is from the U.K. it has excellent information which may be helpful.
            https://www.mariecurie.org.uk/help/support/terminal-illness/preparing/final-moments#skin
            Honestly, from my experience the most important thing for you to do is to concentrate on your mother. Speak to her, hold her hand, put cream on her hands and feet. Massage her arms and legs gently. Her short term memory may not be so good but she may mention something that happened many years ago since long term memory is still there. Remember that hearing is the last sense to go so I always assured my loved ones how much I love them and how much they mean to me and all of us. Although your family may be in an uproar, insist that the arguments and such discussion has absolutely no place surrounding your mother and can take place after and not in her presence. It is best to let her go in peace and this is paramount. Once they have passed, I felt a great sense of grief and sorrow however also at the same time, tremendous sense of relief knowing that they are no longer suffering, are at peace and are in a better place. This gave me a peace of mind and kept me afloat in the days which followed. Just remember that we are all different and the way we grieve may be different too. Concentrate only on the good memories and keep them close to your heart.
            Thinking of you and your mother during this difficult time.
            Melanie

JudiAU
            Participant
              I am so sorry. You have shown great love and compassion to your mother.
              sing123
              Participant
                I am so very sorry. Wishing you and your family great peace.
                Bubbles
                Participant
                  I am so sorry for the heartbreaking journey you and your mother have been on over the past bit. She has been blessed to have you at her side through it all. I wish you both peace. May your memories soon bring more smiles than pain. celeste
              Viewing 4 reply threads
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
              About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics