The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Update on Seroma Treatment

Forums General Melanoma Community Update on Seroma Treatment

Participant

Today I had the 3 seromas drained by the Radiology doctors under ultrasound guidance. The doctors said there are 3 distinct, separate seromas and they don't attach together. So when the Surgeon drained the largest one the last two times which filled back up right away, it didn't effect the other two. Anyways, this time it's been 6 hours since the 3 were drained and 2 of them have filled up again but are definitely smaller than has been during the past 6 weeks. The other one doesn't seem to have filled up again, yeah! 

I don't understand how these can fill up so fast but they can't drain. The Radiology doctors said that these won't drain on their own from what they can tell from the ultrasound pictures. I wonder what happens if these never completely drain? I watched as these were drained and the syringe for the largest one was red colored not yellowish like the last two times. Does anyone know what that means? Is it bleeding inside the seroma, from the needles going in or is my lymph fluid now red?? Plus, the one that so far hasn't filled up was also bloody and had dried blood in it. Sorry for the gory descriptions. This stuff is driving me crazy. 

Viewing 8 reply threads
    • Replies
        UBContributor
        Participant

Thank you for detailed update. It is really strage situation. Did u ask ur drs why fuid is reddish? 

UBContributor
          Participant

Thank you for detailed update. It is really strage situation. Did u ask ur drs why fuid is reddish? 

UBContributor
            Participant

debwray
              Participant

Hi Aloha,

Lymph fluid is straw coloured. Lymph flows uphill through the body from toes upwards and is pumped through the system via lymph collectors to lymph nodes . The system has one way valves. The red fluid in one of your seromas has probably caused by bleeding into the site from the multiple drainages.  The one that is slower to refill probably also had a little bleeding within it.. Creating a hematoma or bleeding within the space…drain it and with luck the irritated sides will stick together making it slower to  fill. The problem is that the lymph nodes above your seromas are missing and can't take the fluid away.. It has to find a way round to other bits of your lymph system. It is pretty unusual to have so many problems with a node biopsy but it can happen.

Hopefully this is starting to resolve for you… You have my sympathy as this is much more  than a simple nuisance

Best wishes

Deb

debwray
                Participant

Hi Aloha,

Lymph fluid is straw coloured. Lymph flows uphill through the body from toes upwards and is pumped through the system via lymph collectors to lymph nodes . The system has one way valves. The red fluid in one of your seromas has probably caused by bleeding into the site from the multiple drainages.  The one that is slower to refill probably also had a little bleeding within it.. Creating a hematoma or bleeding within the space…drain it and with luck the irritated sides will stick together making it slower to  fill. The problem is that the lymph nodes above your seromas are missing and can't take the fluid away.. It has to find a way round to other bits of your lymph system. It is pretty unusual to have so many problems with a node biopsy but it can happen.

Hopefully this is starting to resolve for you… You have my sympathy as this is much more  than a simple nuisance

Best wishes

Deb

debwray
                  Participant

Hi Aloha,

Best wishes

Deb

Aloha14
                    Participant

Deb,

Thanks for replying and the information about seromas. I spoke with my surgeon this morning and reported that the seromas were smaller and she said means the lymph channels are starting to heal. I asked if these could be drained again soon. She said that continual draining doesn't give the channels a time to heal so it's too early to drain these again now. She said it can take several months(it's almost been 2) to completely heal. She also mentioned that a small percentage of patients have complications from lymph node removal even if just a couple were removed. 

The plan is to have me come into the office next week and she has a portable ultrasound machine where she can look at the seromas, answer questions, and discuss options, etc.,  I guess I just have to be patient but at least with these being smaller I can move my leg better when walking and bicycling. 

Aloha14
                      Participant

Deb,

Thanks for replying and the information about seromas. I spoke with my surgeon this morning and reported that the seromas were smaller and she said means the lymph channels are starting to heal. I asked if these could be drained again soon. She said that continual draining doesn't give the channels a time to heal so it's too early to drain these again now. She said it can take several months(it's almost been 2) to completely heal. She also mentioned that a small percentage of patients have complications from lymph node removal even if just a couple were removed. 

The plan is to have me come into the office next week and she has a portable ultrasound machine where she can look at the seromas, answer questions, and discuss options, etc.,  I guess I just have to be patient but at least with these being smaller I can move my leg better when walking and bicycling. 

Aloha14
                        Participant

Deb,

Viewing 8 reply threads
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                      About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics