The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Update on my Seromas

Forums General Melanoma Community Update on my Seromas

Participant

Today I had the seromas drained again (2ne time) and this time the surgeon was more aggressive about it~meaning she went in from different angles and also drained a 4th one that I thought was either muscle spasms or scar tissue. That was 5 hours ago and even with a compression bandage and compression shorts, it's almost filled up again.

I don't understand why my body can't drain this stuff?

Next the surgeon wants me to get a repeat ultrasound so she can look at the seromas again since the draining. I may have to have radiology drain these while under ultrasound rather than having the surgeon just use a still picture. 

Viewing 11 reply threads
    • Replies
        jennunicorn
        Participant

I was hoping you were going to say they've gotten better. So sorry you're still dealing with these dang seromas. Definitely an unusal experience, hopefully this doesn't last much longer for you!

jennunicorn
          Participant

I was hoping you were going to say they've gotten better. So sorry you're still dealing with these dang seromas. Definitely an unusal experience, hopefully this doesn't last much longer for you!

jennunicorn
            Participant

Aloha14
              Participant

Thanks Jenn. I'll let everyone know how things go from here.

Aloha14
                Participant

Aloha14
                  Participant

UBContributor
                    Participant

Yes I remember you told us about ur situation, and sorry to hear that the issue is persistent. May be you could see a new surgeon? May be your current surgeon is not very well experienced? Pls keep us updated. Good luck!

UBContributor
                      Participant

Yes I remember you told us about ur situation, and sorry to hear that the issue is persistent. May be you could see a new surgeon? May be your current surgeon is not very well experienced? Pls keep us updated. Good luck!

UBContributor
                        Participant

Aloha14
                          Participant

Thanks for the reply, my surgeon has ordered an ultrasound guided perc drain with cathetor (not a permanent cathetor drain though). Trying to get scheduled for next week. I sure hope this works and they numb the area since it's deep. Anybody had this before?

debwray
                              Participant

Hi Aloha,

This is not an unusual complication with complete groin dissections and the longer it persists the more likely the fluid collection is lymph rather than serous fluid following the surgery.

You could ask your surgeon about sclerotherapy. This is where the fluid is drained and then an irritant is introduced into the cavity temporarily…common agents are iodine, alcohol etc. It is left there for a while ,whilst still in the clinic..then drained off. The irritation causes the sides of the cavity to stick together. It may require more than one session. You should find some info if you google lymphocele or lymphpocyst and sclerotherapy. The sclerotherapy term is often used when talking about varicose veins where a solution is injected to cause the vein to block and let the unsightly vein to fade away. Have also read about a product which I think was called a seromacath designed to be used to provide drainage for a number of days..allowing the sides of the seroma to heal. My problems with third were annoyingly persistent and I did a fair bit of reading. Most surgeons are reluctant to do multiple drainage procedures due to infection risk and as the void tends to refill pretty quickly putting you back in a similar position to before the drainage.

Was hoping you would have got some relief by now.. with compression and time.My biggest drainage was over 1 litre of pale straw coloured fluid. It did resolve eventually but the flesh where it was is still firmer than the surrounding tissue. It seemed to go that way fairly quickly one week but I had been struggling with it for over 3 months at that point.

Crossing my fingers you get some relief soon

Deb

X

U

debwray
                                Participant

Hi Aloha,

This is not an unusual complication with complete groin dissections and the longer it persists the more likely the fluid collection is lymph rather than serous fluid following the surgery.

You could ask your surgeon about sclerotherapy. This is where the fluid is drained and then an irritant is introduced into the cavity temporarily…common agents are iodine, alcohol etc. It is left there for a while ,whilst still in the clinic..then drained off. The irritation causes the sides of the cavity to stick together. It may require more than one session. You should find some info if you google lymphocele or lymphpocyst and sclerotherapy. The sclerotherapy term is often used when talking about varicose veins where a solution is injected to cause the vein to block and let the unsightly vein to fade away. Have also read about a product which I think was called a seromacath designed to be used to provide drainage for a number of days..allowing the sides of the seroma to heal. My problems with third were annoyingly persistent and I did a fair bit of reading. Most surgeons are reluctant to do multiple drainage procedures due to infection risk and as the void tends to refill pretty quickly putting you back in a similar position to before the drainage.

Was hoping you would have got some relief by now.. with compression and time.My biggest drainage was over 1 litre of pale straw coloured fluid. It did resolve eventually but the flesh where it was is still firmer than the surrounding tissue. It seemed to go that way fairly quickly one week but I had been struggling with it for over 3 months at that point.

Deb

X

U

debwray
                                  Participant

Hi Aloha,

Deb

X

U

Aloha14
                                  Participant

Thanks for the reply, my surgeon has ordered an ultrasound guided perc drain with cathetor (not a permanent cathetor drain though). Trying to get scheduled for next week. I sure hope this works and they numb the area since it's deep. Anybody had this before?

Aloha14
                                    Participant

Viewing 11 reply threads
                                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                  About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics