The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Update on my friend Helen

Forums General Melanoma Community Update on my friend Helen

Participant

Just to update you all on her latest scan. She's on the GSK Dabrafenib/Tranetenib trial. She was told 6 months ago that she had six months to live. This scan, so far, has been her biggest mentally as she was expecting the worst. Six months ago, she had tumours in her lungs and a big one on her hip. Last scan she was told lung tumours were immesurable and hip tumour had started to decay. This scan she's been told lung mets still immesurable and now hip tumour started to decrease in size.

Just to update you all on her latest scan. She's on the GSK Dabrafenib/Tranetenib trial. She was told 6 months ago that she had six months to live. This scan, so far, has been her biggest mentally as she was expecting the worst. Six months ago, she had tumours in her lungs and a big one on her hip. Last scan she was told lung tumours were immesurable and hip tumour had started to decay. This scan she's been told lung mets still immesurable and now hip tumour started to decrease in size. This was a fantastic result and also a massive hurdle for Helen to get over as she now knows that what they told her was wrong. It has given her hope. She looks fantastic, is working part time with me in school and part time on her family farm. She has absolutely no side effects on these drugs  except from slight photo sensitivity. It's unbelievable that she was told she would only have up to now. I think the point I'm trying to make is that there are remarkable drugs and developments afoot .

I read this forum daily and think of you all througout the day every day. I read this site for hope, inspiration and knowledge. I get it in buckets from you.

Kindest regards and very best wishes,

Vic.

Viewing 14 reply threads
    • Replies
        bikerwife
        Participant

whoop whoop happy dance

bikerwife
          Participant

whoop whoop happy dance

bikerwife
            Participant

whoop whoop happy dance

aldakota22
              Participant

Thank God.Happy that another fighter on this site proves once again we are not statistics.Against odds their are more of us beating this disease..Happy day when we all will be able to Beat the Beast.Keep the good news coming and keep tha PMA..   Al

aldakota22
                Participant

Thank God.Happy that another fighter on this site proves once again we are not statistics.Against odds their are more of us beating this disease..Happy day when we all will be able to Beat the Beast.Keep the good news coming and keep tha PMA..   Al

aldakota22
                  Participant

Swanee
                    Participant

Thank you for posting such great news, it helps us all in a very big way!  This is so encouraging to so many and we share in your joy and celebrate with you!   Wishing Helen continued healing and survivorship and soon the coveted NED status!  

Swanee

vicuk
                        Participant

Thanks very much. I've passed your kind wishes on.

vicuk
                          Participant

vicuk
                            Participant

Swanee
                            Participant

Thank you for posting such great news, it helps us all in a very big way!  This is so encouraging to so many and we share in your joy and celebrate with you!   Wishing Helen continued healing and survivorship and soon the coveted NED status!  

Swanee

Swanee
                              Participant

Swanee

JerryfromFauq
                                Participant

Tell Helen I was told the same thing in Feb 2007.  Hope to see her report in another 5 years!  Yes, the statistics that were available in the past expected 50% of stage IV people to not make it for more than 6 months from diagnoses.  My advice upon receiving the stage IV diagnoses is:

1. to make sure ones significant others know what they need to take care of things if we go in that time. 

2.  To learn and work in the attempt to keep them from having to use what they learned. 

Remember statistics are for a mass of people.  I'm just a me , not a group!

Love to see posts l ike yours.

JerryfromFauq
                                  Participant

Tell Helen I was told the same thing in Feb 2007.  Hope to see her report in another 5 years!  Yes, the statistics that were available in the past expected 50% of stage IV people to not make it for more than 6 months from diagnoses.  My advice upon receiving the stage IV diagnoses is:

1. to make sure ones significant others know what they need to take care of things if we go in that time. 

2.  To learn and work in the attempt to keep them from having to use what they learned. 

NYKaren
                                      Participant
                                        Great news, Vic. So happy and encouraging. Thanks for sharing it with us. We’re making those old statistics obsolete!
                                        Love to Helen.
                                        Karen
                                        NYKaren
                                        Participant
                                          Great news, Vic. So happy and encouraging. Thanks for sharing it with us. We’re making those old statistics obsolete!
                                          Love to Helen.
                                          Karen
                                          NYKaren
                                          Participant
                                            Love to Helen.
                                            Karen
                                          JerryfromFauq
                                          Participant

BrianP
                                            Participant

Thanks for the uplifting news!

BrianP
                                              Participant

BrianP
                                                Participant

Viewing 14 reply threads
                                              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                              About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics