The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Update on Les

Forums General Melanoma Community Update on Les

Participant

I've been kinda quiet here for a while.  Les and I have just been living life, and trying to keep a positive outlook on things.

After 8 weeks and 3 days, we were finally able to get back to Duke to have the drain removed from her thigh this past Friday.  It seemed like it took forever for the drainage levels to drop off enough that it could be removed.  Part of the laproscopic lymph node removal trial involves measuring her legs for swelling, so she's sporting a fresh set of reference marks for the measurements.  Just to keep the mood light after the nurse (Kara is an awesome nurse!) removed the 12+ inches of tubing from her leg, Les said "Look!  I have a blow-hole!"  Kara said, "Yeah, but I don't think you'll be breathing out of it."  Never missed a beat.

Anyway, we head back down next month for a PET scan, so we'll probably be dealing with a little 'scanxiety' soon.  The upside is that she will have the scan and we will get/discuss the results same day.

Dave

Viewing 2 reply threads
    • Replies
        GAngel
        Participant

Great to hear that Les is able to have a positive outlook and sense of humor throughout it all….which is so important and beneficial when one is fighting melanoma.

Definitely can relate to scanxiety and wish I  could say it gets easier but as a spouse of a melanoma warrior who has been fighting and beating the beast since his diagnosis in Feb. 2013, it hasn't gotten easier ….but it sure is sweet when you hear "NED" !!!  How wonderful that you will be able to know the results the same day though! Praying for good news on that day!

Keep the faith.  I'll keep you and Les in my prayers continuously. 

Blessings and love,

Gina

Leslie’sHusband
            Participant

Thank you, Gina.

Your prayers are much appreciated.  We're praying for NED in July, too.

Dave

Leslie’sHusband
              Participant

Kara from Duke called Les to let her know that our insurance will not cover another PET scan until September (6 months).  So, it's the waiting game again, until mid-late September.

Leslie’sHusband
                Participant

Kara from Duke called Les to let her know that our insurance will not cover another PET scan until September (6 months).  So, it's the waiting game again, until mid-late September.

Leslie’sHusband
                  Participant

Leslie’sHusband
                    Participant

Thank you, Gina.

Dave

Leslie’sHusband
                      Participant

Thank you, Gina.

Dave

GAngel
                      Participant

Great to hear that Les is able to have a positive outlook and sense of humor throughout it all….which is so important and beneficial when one is fighting melanoma.

Definitely can relate to scanxiety and wish I  could say it gets easier but as a spouse of a melanoma warrior who has been fighting and beating the beast since his diagnosis in Feb. 2013, it hasn't gotten easier ….but it sure is sweet when you hear "NED" !!!  How wonderful that you will be able to know the results the same day though! Praying for good news on that day!

Blessings and love,

Gina

GAngel
                        Participant

Blessings and love,

Gina

Viewing 2 reply threads
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                      About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics