The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

update on GLewis923

Forums General Melanoma Community update on GLewis923

Participant

Just wanted to let you know about Mr Grady Lewis. This man was so kind to me when i first came on the board. He seemed to really be struggling the last time he posted and i just wanted to know how he was doing. I am sorry to have sad news. But at least i know he is no longer suffering or hurting any longer.

Just wanted to let you know about Mr Grady Lewis. This man was so kind to me when i first came on the board. He seemed to really be struggling the last time he posted and i just wanted to know how he was doing. I am sorry to have sad news. But at least i know he is no longer suffering or hurting any longer.

Grady Carl Lewis, of Hoboken, died Thursday, March 15, 2012, at Hospice House Satilla following a courageous three-year battle with melanoma. He was 49.

He was born September 23, 1962, in Waycross, a son of Carl Howard and Bernice Stuckey Lewis. He was preceded in death by his grandparents, Ernest and Frances (Fannie) Lewis and Henry Grady and Maggie Stuckey.

He graduated from Southwood School and the University of Georgia with a bachelor of science degree in forestry. He was owner of Lewis Oil Company, Lewis and Raulerson, Inc., and Friendly Express, Inc., serving the businesses for 25 years. He enjoyed reading, playing the guitar, restoring old cars and timber cruising with his father. He especially enjoyed traveling with his wife and sons. His favorite band was the Beatles.

Survivors include his loving wife of 23 years, Bonita Hanchey Lewis; two sons, Carl Virgil Lewis and Gavin Grady Lewis; parents, Carl and Bernice Lewis, Waycross; brother, Mark Lewis, Decatur; sister, Anna Lewis, Waycross; nephews, Avery Lewis, Darin Lane and Brad Lane; nieces, Karla West and Kaylen Purvis; father-in-law and mother-in-law, Virgil and Virginia Hanchey; sisters-in-law, Cheryl (Charles) Allen, Darlene (Terry) Lane, and Karen (Kelvin) Purvis; brothers-in-law, Eddie (Glenda) Hanchey, Belton (Lesley) Hanchey, Jerome (Debbie) Hanchey, and Kirby (Cindy) Hanchey; nieces and nephews, Stephanie Dunsmore, Samantha Sears, Chris Allen, Dustin Allen, Christy Hanchey, Deanna Hanchey, Jason Thrift, Caylie Hanchey, Chad Hanchey, LaDale Hanchey, Leighandra Hanchey, and several other relatives.

Viewing 11 reply threads
    • Replies
        lhaley
        Participant

I am so sorry to hear that Shady has passed away.  He fought so hard and was such an advocate for himself.   Thank you for letting us know. He had posted less and less and was very worried.

We'll miss you Shady. RIP

Linda

carlvlewis
            Participant

I'm Grady's 24-year-old son, and just came across this thread. It's so inspiring to know that he was so active and well-liked on these forums. He fought until the very end.

Unfortunately, however, the pain of losing such a truly great person proved too much on my mom, Bonita, and she suffered sever depression and anxiety that eventually led to a seizure, which hospitalized her and then — because of a sophomoric error on the part of a nurse — contracted Acute Respiratory Distress Syndrome when a PIK line was irresponsibly left inserted into her lungs upon discharge. She passed away last month.

Losing both parents so young has been incredibly difficult — and melanoma, in my opinion, is what led both of them to die so young (they were both 48 at the time of death). It goes without saying that I've been visiting the dermatologist every 3 months. They've already found four abnormal moles on me that they had to go back in and remove after biopsy. But, I've learned the hard way to be vigilant, and have personally set aside all my charity funds to benefit the Melanoma Research Foundation.

This can't keep happening to other families. Thanks to all of you for being such a support line for my dad during his most difficult times. I had no idea he was posting here, but it makes me feel better that he received encouragement and support from your community.

Shady will be missed, and so will his wife, my mom.

Here's her obituary from Jan. 21: http://bit.ly/PjquvM. They were both beautiful people on the inside and out, and it's unfortunate that melanoma took them so young.

Please pass this message along to everyone in the community here who communicated with my dad. It would mean a lot to me.

Best,

Carl V. Lewis

Shady Grady's son

carlvlewis
              Participant

I'm Grady's 24-year-old son, and just came across this thread. It's so inspiring to know that he was so active and well-liked on these forums. He fought until the very end.

Unfortunately, however, the pain of losing such a truly great person proved too much on my mom, Bonita, and she suffered sever depression and anxiety that eventually led to a seizure, which hospitalized her and then — because of a sophomoric error on the part of a nurse — contracted Acute Respiratory Distress Syndrome when a PIK line was irresponsibly left inserted into her lungs upon discharge. She passed away last month.

Losing both parents so young has been incredibly difficult — and melanoma, in my opinion, is what led both of them to die so young (they were both 48 at the time of death). It goes without saying that I've been visiting the dermatologist every 3 months. They've already found four abnormal moles on me that they had to go back in and remove after biopsy. But, I've learned the hard way to be vigilant, and have personally set aside all my charity funds to benefit the Melanoma Research Foundation.

This can't keep happening to other families. Thanks to all of you for being such a support line for my dad during his most difficult times. I had no idea he was posting here, but it makes me feel better that he received encouragement and support from your community.

Here's her obituary from Jan. 21: http://bit.ly/PjquvM. They were both beautiful people on the inside and out, and it's unfortunate that melanoma took them so young.

Please pass this message along to everyone in the community here who communicated with my dad. It would mean a lot to me.

Best,

Carl V. Lewis

Shady Grady's son

carlvlewis
                Participant

Best,

Carl V. Lewis

Shady Grady's son

lhaley
                Participant

I am so sorry to hear that Shady has passed away.  He fought so hard and was such an advocate for himself.   Thank you for letting us know. He had posted less and less and was very worried.

Linda

lhaley
                  Participant

Linda

akls
                    Participant

I'm so sorry to hear about Grady's passing.  He was such a fighter, he will be missed.

Amy S. in Michigan

Phil S
                        Participant
                          Thanks so much for letting us know, I also had been wondering about Grady. He sure was a fighter. I remember his last posts were about getting a doctor to agree to treating his new brain mets. So sorry for his family, but know he talked of his faith in God and now the battle is over and he is cancer free. Rest in peace, Grady. Valerie (Phil’s wife)
                          carlvlewis
                          Participant

Valerie–

Thank you so much for the kind words. See the post I just made higher in this thread for a fuller explanation.

Best,

Grady's son, Carl V. Lewis

carlvlewis
                            Participant

Valerie–

Thank you so much for the kind words. See the post I just made higher in this thread for a fuller explanation.

Best,

carlvlewis
                              Participant

Valerie–

Best,

Phil S
                                Participant
                                  Thanks so much for letting us know, I also had been wondering about Grady. He sure was a fighter. I remember his last posts were about getting a doctor to agree to treating his new brain mets. So sorry for his family, but know he talked of his faith in God and now the battle is over and he is cancer free. Rest in peace, Grady. Valerie (Phil’s wife)
                                  Phil S
                                  Participant
                                    carlvlewis
                                    Participant

Amy–

He truly was. I can testify to that firsthand. Such a fighter and such a genuinely good person that my mom lived only two years longer after his death.

Best,

Grady's son, Carl

carlvlewis
                                      Participant

Amy–

He truly was. I can testify to that firsthand. Such a fighter and such a genuinely good person that my mom lived only two years longer after his death.

Best,

Grady's son, Carl

carlvlewis
                                        Participant

Amy–

Best,

Grady's son, Carl

akls
                                        Participant

I'm so sorry to hear about Grady's passing.  He was such a fighter, he will be missed.

Amy S. in Michigan

akls
                                          Participant

Amy S. in Michigan

King
                                            Participant

Thanks for letting us know that Grady is now pain-free.  He was a fighter.  Sad news.  His friends and family are in my thoughts and prayers.

Stay Strong

King

Stage IV  7/05  Liver mets

King
                                              Participant

Thanks for letting us know that Grady is now pain-free.  He was a fighter.  Sad news.  His friends and family are in my thoughts and prayers.

Stay Strong

King

King
                                                Participant

Stay Strong

King

carlvlewis
                                                    Participant

Thanks, King. See the message I posted higher in the thread. I appreciate your support of my dad.

-Grady's son

carlvlewis
                                                      Participant

Thanks, King. See the message I posted higher in the thread. I appreciate your support of my dad.

-Grady's son

carlvlewis
                                                        Participant

-Grady's son

hope4cure1
                                                        Participant

I am sorry to hear of Grady's passing.  His posts made it clear that he was a gentle, caring person.  I hope Grady's family finds peace duriing this very difficult time of loss.

Hope

hope4cure1
                                                          Participant

I am sorry to hear of Grady's passing.  His posts made it clear that he was a gentle, caring person.  I hope Grady's family finds peace duriing this very difficult time of loss.

Hope

carlvlewis
                                                              Participant

Hope–

I'd love to say we've found peace, but it's affected us all. So much so that my mom passed away recently, too. She was 48 as well.

Mrs. Bonita Hanchey Lewis of Hoboken passed away Tuesday, January 21, 2014 at Mayo Clinic in Jacksonville, Fl. following treatment for medically-induced sepsis. She was 48.

—-
                                                                BONITA H. LEWIS

Bonita was born July 21, 1965 in Waycross, Ga. She was the daughter of Virgil and Virginia Moore Hanchey of Hoboken. She was preceded in death by her husband of 23 years, Grady Carl Lewis of Waycross; a brother-in-law, Charles Allen; a sister, Eva Hanchey; and two brothers, Chad and Brad Hanchey of Hoboken.

She enjoyed watching movies and riding nature trails with her two sons, planting trees and flowers, crocheting with her mother, watching westerns with her father, and spending time with her sisters. She especially enjoyed past travels with her husband Grady and their sons.

Bonita was the owner and largest single shareholder of Friendly Express Inc. and L & R Inc. of Waycross.

Bonita is survived by her two sons, Carl Virgil Lewis and Gavin Grady Lewis of Hoboken; her parents Virgil and Virginia Hanchey of Hoboken; her father-in-law and mother-in-law, Carl and Bernice Lewis of Waycross; and her three sisters, Cheryl Hanchey Allen, Darlene Hanchey Lane (husband Terry), and Karen Hanchey Purvis (husband Kelvin); her four brothers, Eddie Hanchey (wife Glenda), Belton Hanchey (wife Lesley), Jerome Hanchey (wife Debbie), and Kirby Hanchey (wife Cindy) all of Hoboken; her nieces and nephews, Darin Lane, Brad Lane, Karla West (husband Jonathan), Kaylen Gill (husband Josh), Stephanie Dunsmore (husband Michael), Samantha Sears (husband Donald), Chris Allen (wife Amy), Dustin Allen (wife Becky), Doug Lane, Avery Lewis, Jason Thrift, Caylie Hanchey, Chad Hanchey (wife Brittney), LaDale Hanchey, Leighandra Hanchey, Christy Hanchey, and Deanna Hanchey; and several other relatives.

A funeral service will be held 4:00 p.m. Thursday (Jan. 23, 2014) at Hoboken Baptist Church. Burial will follow in Spring Hill Cemetery. The family will be receiving friends Wednesday evening from 6 until 8 o'clock at the residence of Virgil and Virginia Hanchey, 434 Hanchey Rd., Hoboken, Ga. 31542. 

Sympathy may be expressed by signing the online registry at http://www.musicfuneralhome.com.

Music Funeral Home is in charge of the arrangements – See more at: http://www.musicfuneralhome.com/obituary?id=1334116#sthash.N3Ia7M1e.dpuf
                                                                carlvlewis
                                                                Participant

Hope–

I'd love to say we've found peace, but it's affected us all. So much so that my mom passed away recently, too. She was 48 as well.

Mrs. Bonita Hanchey Lewis of Hoboken passed away Tuesday, January 21, 2014 at Mayo Clinic in Jacksonville, Fl. following treatment for medically-induced sepsis. She was 48.

—-
                                                                  BONITA H. LEWIS

Bonita was born July 21, 1965 in Waycross, Ga. She was the daughter of Virgil and Virginia Moore Hanchey of Hoboken. She was preceded in death by her husband of 23 years, Grady Carl Lewis of Waycross; a brother-in-law, Charles Allen; a sister, Eva Hanchey; and two brothers, Chad and Brad Hanchey of Hoboken.

She enjoyed watching movies and riding nature trails with her two sons, planting trees and flowers, crocheting with her mother, watching westerns with her father, and spending time with her sisters. She especially enjoyed past travels with her husband Grady and their sons.

Bonita was the owner and largest single shareholder of Friendly Express Inc. and L & R Inc. of Waycross.

Bonita is survived by her two sons, Carl Virgil Lewis and Gavin Grady Lewis of Hoboken; her parents Virgil and Virginia Hanchey of Hoboken; her father-in-law and mother-in-law, Carl and Bernice Lewis of Waycross; and her three sisters, Cheryl Hanchey Allen, Darlene Hanchey Lane (husband Terry), and Karen Hanchey Purvis (husband Kelvin); her four brothers, Eddie Hanchey (wife Glenda), Belton Hanchey (wife Lesley), Jerome Hanchey (wife Debbie), and Kirby Hanchey (wife Cindy) all of Hoboken; her nieces and nephews, Darin Lane, Brad Lane, Karla West (husband Jonathan), Kaylen Gill (husband Josh), Stephanie Dunsmore (husband Michael), Samantha Sears (husband Donald), Chris Allen (wife Amy), Dustin Allen (wife Becky), Doug Lane, Avery Lewis, Jason Thrift, Caylie Hanchey, Chad Hanchey (wife Brittney), LaDale Hanchey, Leighandra Hanchey, Christy Hanchey, and Deanna Hanchey; and several other relatives.

A funeral service will be held 4:00 p.m. Thursday (Jan. 23, 2014) at Hoboken Baptist Church. Burial will follow in Spring Hill Cemetery. The family will be receiving friends Wednesday evening from 6 until 8 o'clock at the residence of Virgil and Virginia Hanchey, 434 Hanchey Rd., Hoboken, Ga. 31542. 

Sympathy may be expressed by signing the online registry at http://www.musicfuneralhome.com.

Music Funeral Home is in charge of the arrangements – See more at: http://www.musicfuneralhome.com/obituary?id=1334116#sthash.N3Ia7M1e.dpuf
                                                                  eerye70
                                                                  Participant
                                                                    Its so sad to hear that your mom passed away as well. And so young. I am sure they are together. I hate melanoma with a passion and i never let an opportunity to educate pass me by. I am glad that you are in charge of your skin too. I send you a hug. Please post anytime you need to talk to someone. The loss is devastating. Eerye
                                                                    eerye70
                                                                    Participant
                                                                      Its so sad to hear that your mom passed away as well. And so young. I am sure they are together. I hate melanoma with a passion and i never let an opportunity to educate pass me by. I am glad that you are in charge of your skin too. I send you a hug. Please post anytime you need to talk to someone. The loss is devastating. Eerye
                                                                      carlvlewis
                                                                      Participant

Thanks, Eerye. I just simultaneously cried and also felt inspired when I found all my dad's posts on this forum. He was such a genuine, self-advocating, caring and – at least on these forums – openly expressive person. He shielded me from most of his anguish during the last few months before his death, as I was out of state in grad school, and he didn't want me to see him in such bad health. While I regret not being there during the worst of it, he told me he was embarrassed for me to see him like that, and didn't want the more painful memories weighing on my mind. I honestly believe that's what led my mom to get ill, too. Although it was clearly malpractice that caused her death, it was her broken heart that put her in the hospital in the first place.

Thanks for the hug. Trust me, I check my skin about every three days. With the genetic disposition and already having numerous dysplastic nevi, I'd be stupid not to.

My younger brother, Gavin, is about to start medical school, and he's thinking of dermatology. If he's half as intelligent and business savvy as my dad, hopefully he can be one of the folks who finally finds an answer to kicking melanoma to the curb for good.

Please, let anyone else on these forums know who communicated and supported my dad how thankful I am for their outreach. It clearly meant a lot to him from seeing his posts and profile here. 

carlvlewis
                                                                        Participant

Thanks, Eerye. I just simultaneously cried and also felt inspired when I found all my dad's posts on this forum. He was such a genuine, self-advocating, caring and – at least on these forums – openly expressive person. He shielded me from most of his anguish during the last few months before his death, as I was out of state in grad school, and he didn't want me to see him in such bad health. While I regret not being there during the worst of it, he told me he was embarrassed for me to see him like that, and didn't want the more painful memories weighing on my mind. I honestly believe that's what led my mom to get ill, too. Although it was clearly malpractice that caused her death, it was her broken heart that put her in the hospital in the first place.

Thanks for the hug. Trust me, I check my skin about every three days. With the genetic disposition and already having numerous dysplastic nevi, I'd be stupid not to.

My younger brother, Gavin, is about to start medical school, and he's thinking of dermatology. If he's half as intelligent and business savvy as my dad, hopefully he can be one of the folks who finally finds an answer to kicking melanoma to the curb for good.

Please, let anyone else on these forums know who communicated and supported my dad how thankful I am for their outreach. It clearly meant a lot to him from seeing his posts and profile here. 

carlvlewis
                                                                          Participant

eerye70
                                                                            Participant
                                                                              carlvlewis
                                                                              Participant

Hope–

—-
                                                                                BONITA H. LEWIS

hope4cure1
                                                                              Participant

Hope

Viewing 11 reply threads
                                                                            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                                                            About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics