The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Update on GI issues: PET Scan next

Forums General Melanoma Community Update on GI issues: PET Scan next

Participant

Hi everyone,

Hi everyone,

This has been one of those weird rollercoaster weeks (2 weeks) for medical appts. First something suspicious appeared in the ileum, the end of the small intestine. Then I did the small bowel follow though. I drank the barium contrast and had x-rays of that area. Nothing appeared. It was completely normal and the radiology doc. showed and explained the x-rays to me. I thought maybe this would be satisfactory to Dr. Weber. Wrong! He said sometimes masses hide in the walls of the intestine and also hide due to the folds in the intestine. He mentioned intussuseption is possible. I read that's when one bowel slides into the other. Apparently the small bowel follow through isn't fool proof.

The next step is a PET Scan which should give a difinitive answer. I'm scheduled for the scan this Wed. early in the morning. I'm glad Dr. Weber is being proactive. I got permission th discontinue Alendronate as the bloating, and abdominal pain are side effects of this drug.

I 'd appreciate  your prayers. I will post when I know something.

God Bless to all,

Jim M.

Stage 3C

Viewing 11 reply threads
    • Replies
        EmilyandMike
        Participant

Hi Jim –  Seems like good news that they couldnt see it.  Sorry you are stuck waiting for PET results.  It truly sucks. We will be praying for you. 

Emily

EmilyandMike
          Participant

Hi Jim –  Seems like good news that they couldnt see it.  Sorry you are stuck waiting for PET results.  It truly sucks. We will be praying for you. 

Emily

MaryD
            Participant

Hi Jim,

Gosh- I was surprised to see your post but am so happy Dr. Weber is being very proactive.   I'm just going to think good thoughts and will send up some prayers that the PET shows everything to be "uneventful"  🙂   It's so hard not to be anxious but so far, things sound good . .

You take care and God bless ..

Mary

Jim M.
                Participant

Thanks Mary. Always good to hear from you. Yeah, it's better to get it checked out thoroughly. This time I will bring 1 or 2 good books to read while I'm waiting to be radioactive! Last time I went through all the magazines. I should have someone take a picture of the nurse injecting me with the stuff encased by some kind of steel cannister. Like someone else told me, "That sounds kind of Star Treky".

God Bless,

Jim

Jim M.
                  Participant

Thanks Mary. Always good to hear from you. Yeah, it's better to get it checked out thoroughly. This time I will bring 1 or 2 good books to read while I'm waiting to be radioactive! Last time I went through all the magazines. I should have someone take a picture of the nurse injecting me with the stuff encased by some kind of steel cannister. Like someone else told me, "That sounds kind of Star Treky".

God Bless,

Jim

Vermont_Donna
                    Participant

Jim,

My written instructions for the PET/CT scans say NO talking, chewing gum, reading, moving, etc after receiving the injection of the radioactive glucose. I sit in a nice recliner, feet up, covered with a warm blanket in a darkened room for almost an hour, then they come to get you, you can use the bathroom and then you go and get the scans. Its also important to keep warm the previous 24 hours before the scan and do not partake in any vigorous physical activity. The PET/CT scans look for uptake of the radioactive material as a potential sign of something going on, and if the instructions are that specific, I follow them perfectly so I will have the best scans I can and not cause some kind of false positive. Check with your doctor or the scan department if you dont receive instructions. Also no holding or being near small children and infants for 24 hours after due to the radioactivity.

Vermont_Donna, stage 3a

Jim M.
                      Participant

Thanks for the info. Donna. I have the instructions from Moffitt and they allow patients to read. I will be waiting for 90 minutes before they call me. I need to drink several glasses of water prior to arriving to my appt. so they can more easily access a vein( usually a challenge for me since they can only use the left arm). They also encourage a low carbohydrate diet 24 hours prior to the exam and give examples of foods that are allowed and not allowed. Moffitt says not to be near pregnant women and small children for 6 hours. Interesting the different protocols.

God Bless,

Jim

Jim M.
                        Participant

Thanks for the info. Donna. I have the instructions from Moffitt and they allow patients to read. I will be waiting for 90 minutes before they call me. I need to drink several glasses of water prior to arriving to my appt. so they can more easily access a vein( usually a challenge for me since they can only use the left arm). They also encourage a low carbohydrate diet 24 hours prior to the exam and give examples of foods that are allowed and not allowed. Moffitt says not to be near pregnant women and small children for 6 hours. Interesting the different protocols.

God Bless,

Jim

Vermont_Donna
                          Participant

Jim,

My written instructions for the PET/CT scans say NO talking, chewing gum, reading, moving, etc after receiving the injection of the radioactive glucose. I sit in a nice recliner, feet up, covered with a warm blanket in a darkened room for almost an hour, then they come to get you, you can use the bathroom and then you go and get the scans. Its also important to keep warm the previous 24 hours before the scan and do not partake in any vigorous physical activity. The PET/CT scans look for uptake of the radioactive material as a potential sign of something going on, and if the instructions are that specific, I follow them perfectly so I will have the best scans I can and not cause some kind of false positive. Check with your doctor or the scan department if you dont receive instructions. Also no holding or being near small children and infants for 24 hours after due to the radioactivity.

Vermont_Donna, stage 3a

MaryD
                          Participant

Hi Jim,

Gosh- I was surprised to see your post but am so happy Dr. Weber is being very proactive.   I'm just going to think good thoughts and will send up some prayers that the PET shows everything to be "uneventful"  🙂   It's so hard not to be anxious but so far, things sound good . .

You take care and God bless ..

Mary

King
                            Participant

Hi Jim,

Well, you know you have my prayers.  And Dr. Weber doesn't want any surprises (neither do we).  I'll be at the Cutaneous Clinic next Friday, the 11th in the AM.  Any chance you'll be there then or will you get your results via phone?

(BTW..a year or two ago, I had a thickening in the ileum/cecal region show up on a scan.  In my case, they were able to visualize it via a colonoscopy..before hand they weren't sure they would be able to get to it…and it was normal).

Miss seeing you.

Stay Strong

King

Stage IV 7/05 Liver mets

King
                              Participant

Hi Jim,

Well, you know you have my prayers.  And Dr. Weber doesn't want any surprises (neither do we).  I'll be at the Cutaneous Clinic next Friday, the 11th in the AM.  Any chance you'll be there then or will you get your results via phone?

(BTW..a year or two ago, I had a thickening in the ileum/cecal region show up on a scan.  In my case, they were able to visualize it via a colonoscopy..before hand they weren't sure they would be able to get to it…and it was normal).

Miss seeing you.

Stay Strong

King

Stage IV 7/05 Liver mets

Jim M.
                                  Participant

Thanks King for your input. I won't be there on Friday and I will get the results by phone either Wed. afternoon or Thursday. I guess if something is there it could be 1 of of a variety of things.

I had a colonoscopy 3 months ago which was normal. I believe I began the Alendronate after the colonoscopy. Hopefully discontinuing that will have a positive effect. I'll be in touch soon.

God Bless,

Jim

Jim M.
                                    Participant

Thanks King for your input. I won't be there on Friday and I will get the results by phone either Wed. afternoon or Thursday. I guess if something is there it could be 1 of of a variety of things.

I had a colonoscopy 3 months ago which was normal. I believe I began the Alendronate after the colonoscopy. Hopefully discontinuing that will have a positive effect. I'll be in touch soon.

God Bless,

Jim

LynnLuc
                                    Participant

Dr Weber is so active in his pateints treatment…I wouldn't trade him for anything!! Always better safe then sorry!!

Lynn- stage 4 NED over 11 monthns now!

LynnLuc
                                      Participant

Dr Weber is so active in his pateints treatment…I wouldn't trade him for anything!! Always better safe then sorry!!

Lynn- stage 4 NED over 11 monthns now!

ValinMtl
                                        Participant

Jim, you're in my prayers for good results.  I know you are in good hands with Dr. Weber..remember you suggested I contact him about 2 years ago!! My how time flies.  Had a PET scan on February 4th…still waiting for results..can you imagine!  Anyways..it's just a long procedure but they produce amazing reports.   Best, Val xx

ValinMtl
                                          Participant

Jim, you're in my prayers for good results.  I know you are in good hands with Dr. Weber..remember you suggested I contact him about 2 years ago!! My how time flies.  Had a PET scan on February 4th…still waiting for results..can you imagine!  Anyways..it's just a long procedure but they produce amazing reports.   Best, Val xx

ValinMtl
                                            Participant

Jim M.
                                                Participant

Hi Val,

I forgot it's been 2 years. You have a better memory than I do! If Dr. Weber responds to emails that quickly he's gotta be good! The finding on the CT scan reads as follows, "A distended tubular structure filled with soft tissue density is identified in the right lower quadrant.This would conform to the last 10cm of distal ileum".

I will also pray for good results for your PET scan.

God Bless you,

Jim

Jim M.
                                                  Participant

Hi Val,

I forgot it's been 2 years. You have a better memory than I do! If Dr. Weber responds to emails that quickly he's gotta be good! The finding on the CT scan reads as follows, "A distended tubular structure filled with soft tissue density is identified in the right lower quadrant.This would conform to the last 10cm of distal ileum".

I will also pray for good results for your PET scan.

God Bless you,

Jim

ValinMtl
                                                  Participant

Viewing 11 reply threads
                                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                                About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics