The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Update on Brother

Forums Cutaneous Melanoma Community Update on Brother

Participant
      Good morning! My brother had his CT scan on Monday morning and then we met with the doctor that afternoon and the Melanoma has not spread to the areas they scanned: neck, torso, and head. Yay!

He will have his WLE and the SNLB next Thursday and receive results in two weeks when he has his follow-up appointment with the oncologist. Based on results of SNLB the oncologist will stage it. If they find cancer cells he will be put on immunotherapy for 1 year and if not he will be monitored.

I have one question…if they did a CT scan of the head why didn’t the Melanoma show up on the scan? Is it because it’s in the skin and not detectable?

Thank you everyone for your support and walking me through this scary time!

Cyndie

Viewing 3 reply threads
    • Replies
        mandyjill
        Participant
          Very good news!
          NewEra
          Participant
            I think CTs only look for soft tissue objects in the organs or brain. I don’t think it can pick anything up on the surface of the skin.
            MelanomaMike
            Participant
              Yaay! Great news for both of you!! As far as CT or PET scans are concerned for detecting tumors, lesions in our brain, an MRI is the primary tool to 99% confirm evidence or no evidence of disease, better imaging “slices”!! i mean, thats how it was explained to me by my oncologist, CT’s “Can” detect melanoma but sometimes not, its wishy washy..Oncologist feel safer using MRI….hope i didnt cause any worry!
              lkb
              Participant
                Cyndie, as MM wrote, MRI is the scan of choice for checking the brain. My primary was on my scalp. My one brain lesion was noted as a possible met on the CT scan, but only verified by MRI; I wasn’t due for an MRI at the time, but I’m glad I requested it. (Even if no mets are found, the imaging gives the patient peace of mind and gives the docs a baseline for comparison.) Subsequently, I’ve had tiny lesions on the scalp (bumps I could feel with my fingers) and they did not show up on any scan. Congratulations on your brother’s good CT results! Wishing him more of same!
                  Cyndie in Texas
                  Participant
                    Thank you for your response! Since this post my brother had his surgery so I will start a new post on how things went.
              Viewing 3 reply threads
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
              About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics