The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Update on BigDaddy5 – NRAS mutation confirmed

Forums General Melanoma Community Update on BigDaddy5 – NRAS mutation confirmed

Participant

Hi:

I had my excision surgery to remove the remants (post-shave-biopsy) of a 2.6 mm tumor from my torso on 2/24.  Officially stage IIa.  We requested that they genetically test the tumor for BRAF or NRAS mutation and the results took about a month.  I was confirmed to have the NRAS mutation today

So other than diet and exercise – I will just hope, wait, pray for the best.  NRAS does not sound like a good thing should the next round of this personal war erupt down the road.

Any other adjuvant type activities recommended?

Thanks,

Neil D

Viewing 5 reply threads
    • Replies
        BrianP
        Participant

Neil,

I can relate to the feeling of not being Braf +.  You feel like you have one less bullet in your gun to fight this beast.  I will let you know however (and hopefully Celeste or someone can back me up because I don't have the studies in front of me) patients with NRAS mutation have had a statistically significant improvement in response to anti-PD1 drugs over other mutations.

As far as adjuvant activities there are a whole host of alternative activities you can do but I don't know if they make a difference.  Things I've personally done is reduce sugar, excercise, green tea daily, smoothies, organic fruits and vegetables.  I haven't gone the supplement route but if I were I'd be open to vitamin D and curcumin.  I think doing many of these type things helps you to feel more empowered which improves your psychological and mental health which can be very significant. 

Brian

jenny22
            Participant

I will echo what Brian said regarding NRAS patients responding well to immunotherapy drugs….i have read and been told the same…I too have the NRAS mutation.  When first discovered I was concerned but after several discussions with assorted ONCs, I realize now it doesnt seem to have any doom and gloom attached to it, and is really just more for treatment down the road.

One other thing  I'll add….though I've never been a Vitamin and or supplement "taker", I did ask my NYU oncologist if there were any she would reccommend. She said there are 3 that she reccommends to her all her melanoma patients. 

They are:

Tumeric (1000mb 2x a day)

Resveratrol (500 mg 1x a day)

Paba (1000 mg 2x a day)

I have also been told VIT D too….

Best of luck,

jenny

kylez
              Participant

Did they tell either of you which NRAS mutation? I think a mutation at 'Q61' is maybe more common than 'G12A'  which what they found in mine. I believe both locations are considered sugnificant for melanoma.

I believe this terminology refers to where exactly in the DNA the mutation is licated.I.e.,for BRAF their can be mutations at different locations. 'V600E' and 'V600K' are the ones considered drivers for melanoma. 

Thanks. Also like Jemny and Brian I've heard the same about immunotherapy and NRAS mutations. Hope you get some relief soon.

kylez
                Participant

Did they tell either of you which NRAS mutation? I think a mutation at 'Q61' is maybe more common than 'G12A'  which what they found in mine. I believe both locations are considered sugnificant for melanoma.

I believe this terminology refers to where exactly in the DNA the mutation is licated.I.e.,for BRAF their can be mutations at different locations. 'V600E' and 'V600K' are the ones considered drivers for melanoma. 

Thanks. Also like Jemny and Brian I've heard the same about immunotherapy and NRAS mutations. Hope you get some relief soon.

Bigdaddy5
                  Participant

I have the Q61 designation as well.  Thanks for your feedback!

Neil D

Bigdaddy5
                    Participant

Neil D

Bigdaddy5
                      Participant

Neil D

kylez
                        Participant

Bigdaddy5
                          Participant

Such a strange road to travel. Sharing a silly analogy – Feels almost like Road Runner not sure when Coyote was going to attempt to drop an Acme boulder on his head. He didn't seem too concerned – perhaps there's a lesson in there for us adjuvant types to keep running down the road. 

Thanks!

neil D

Bigdaddy5
                            Participant

Such a strange road to travel. Sharing a silly analogy – Feels almost like Road Runner not sure when Coyote was going to attempt to drop an Acme boulder on his head. He didn't seem too concerned – perhaps there's a lesson in there for us adjuvant types to keep running down the road. 

Thanks!

neil D

Bigdaddy5
                              Participant

Thanks!

neil D

jenny22
                                Participant

I will echo what Brian said regarding NRAS patients responding well to immunotherapy drugs….i have read and been told the same…I too have the NRAS mutation.  When first discovered I was concerned but after several discussions with assorted ONCs, I realize now it doesnt seem to have any doom and gloom attached to it, and is really just more for treatment down the road.

One other thing  I'll add….though I've never been a Vitamin and or supplement "taker", I did ask my NYU oncologist if there were any she would reccommend. She said there are 3 that she reccommends to her all her melanoma patients. 

They are:

Paba (1000 mg 2x a day)

Best of luck,

jenny

jenny22
                                  Participant

They are:

Paba (1000 mg 2x a day)

Best of luck,

jenny

Bigdaddy5
                                    Participant

Thanks Brian!

I appreciate the feedback. I'm going to look into what the heck an anti-PD1 is exactly and review Celeste' blog. 

Neil D

Bigdaddy5
                                      Participant

Thanks Brian!

I appreciate the feedback. I'm going to look into what the heck an anti-PD1 is exactly and review Celeste' blog. 

Neil D

Bigdaddy5
                                        Participant

Thanks Brian!

Neil D

BrianP
                                        Participant

Neil,

I can relate to the feeling of not being Braf +.  You feel like you have one less bullet in your gun to fight this beast.  I will let you know however (and hopefully Celeste or someone can back me up because I don't have the studies in front of me) patients with NRAS mutation have had a statistically significant improvement in response to anti-PD1 drugs over other mutations.

As far as adjuvant activities there are a whole host of alternative activities you can do but I don't know if they make a difference.  Things I've personally done is reduce sugar, excercise, green tea daily, smoothies, organic fruits and vegetables.  I haven't gone the supplement route but if I were I'd be open to vitamin D and curcumin.  I think doing many of these type things helps you to feel more empowered which improves your psychological and mental health which can be very significant. 

Brian

BrianP
                                          Participant

Neil,

Brian

Bubbles
                                            Participant

Brian's got this…and so do you, Big Daddy/Neil!! (Those names seem disperate…feel the need to hear the story!!!) but……I digress.  You have options should you ever need them…..here's just a bit:

http://chaoticallypreciselifeloveandmelanoma.blogspot.com/2015/01/good-news-for-nras-positive-folks.html

http://chaoticallypreciselifeloveandmelanoma.blogspot.com/2016/04/stopping-resistance-to-targeted-therapy.html

Ask away should questions arise.  Brian knows all this stuff (even if he shuffles his feet!!!)  I wish you well!  celeste

Bubbles
                                              Participant

Brian's got this…and so do you, Big Daddy/Neil!! (Those names seem disperate…feel the need to hear the story!!!) but……I digress.  You have options should you ever need them…..here's just a bit:

http://chaoticallypreciselifeloveandmelanoma.blogspot.com/2015/01/good-news-for-nras-positive-folks.html

http://chaoticallypreciselifeloveandmelanoma.blogspot.com/2016/04/stopping-resistance-to-targeted-therapy.html

Ask away should questions arise.  Brian knows all this stuff (even if he shuffles his feet!!!)  I wish you well!  celeste

Bigdaddy5
                                                  Participant

Thanks to you Celeste. I'm trying to understand what I'm reading. It'll come – but I wish I was more science-inclined while in school!

Neil D

Bigdaddy5
                                                    Participant

Thanks to you Celeste. I'm trying to understand what I'm reading. It'll come – but I wish I was more science-inclined while in school!

Neil D

scots
                                                      Participant

Neil,

i do not have the nras or braf mutation. I have a MEK mutation which appears to be rare.  I have liver mets.

i have been to several hospitals. I'm now getting ready to be treated at Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center In New York City.  The research trial is called the 'ERK' research trial. There is a protocol #.  Now  we just need more testing on rare mutations,

Scot

scots
                                                        Participant

Neil,

i do not have the nras or braf mutation. I have a MEK mutation which appears to be rare.  I have liver mets.

i have been to several hospitals. I'm now getting ready to be treated at Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center In New York City.  The research trial is called the 'ERK' research trial. There is a protocol #.  Now  we just need more testing on rare mutations,

Scot

Bigdaddy5
                                                          Participant

Scot:

Im adding you to my prayers!  

ND

Bigdaddy5
                                                            Participant

Scot:

ND

Bigdaddy5
                                                              Participant

Scot:

ND

BrianP
                                                                Participant

Scot, I was just recently thinking about you and hoping you had found something.  You are at a great place in MSK.  Best of luck to you.

BrianP
                                                                  Participant

Scot, I was just recently thinking about you and hoping you had found something.  You are at a great place in MSK.  Best of luck to you.

BrianP
                                                                    Participant

scots
                                                                      Participant

Neil,

Scot

Bigdaddy5
                                                                        Participant

Neil D

Bubbles
                                                                        Participant

Viewing 5 reply threads
                                                                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                                                      About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics