The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Update (michaelinsocal)

Forums General Melanoma Community Update (michaelinsocal)

Participant

Hello all. It's been one year since my diagnosis of maligement melanoma just before Thanksgiving of 2013. 

The primary was contained in a pinto size growth I had on the outer part of my left ankle, just below the ankle bone. The site was given a breslow depth of 4.2mm. What was unique in my case was that I had the growth since my early 20's. It appeared on the left side of my ankle and grew rather quickly (within 2-3 years) and then stopped. For 20 years it never changed shape or color. It was looked at from previous doctors as nothing to be concerned about. In September 2013, I had a hernia repair surgery. For the first fee weeks my wife had to help me put on socks and that's when she noticed a tiny speck of black smack in the middle of my growth. With her encouragement, I went to my primary doctor who shaved it which led to the diagnosis.

In Dec 2013 I had a WLE done along with a SNB with a subsequent skin Granth to cover up the half dollar size area created by the WLE. The sentinel node biopsy came back for micro traces of melanoma in the lymph node. That lead to a full lymph node dessection on the left side of my groin. The good news in all this was none of the 12 lymph nodes removed were maligement. I'm officially stage 3A. Being off my feet for nearly two months and the physical therapy after the dessection were definite challenges but I weathered it.

I opted to do the 12 month Interferon. I'm half way through it now. The first 3 weeks of high dosage was a roller coaster. By the fourth week I had such bad anxiety, depression and flu like symptoms the Dr had to stop the high dosage and gave me a two week break. Since then it's been weekly self injected shots which have been tolerable and have been put on Remeron (anti depressant) and take Ativan as needed for the axiety.

Some days are better than others. I know see my oncologist every three months along with my dermatologist as well as follow up with my surgical oncologist. 

I realize I am at high risk for reoccurrence but I'm keeping my head up and living my life. I feel I have a good team of doctors watching me. I'm vigilant and so should you. Once we learn to conquer the reality that we'll love with this disease the rest of our lives, the better we can not let it dominate our lives. I'm 41 years old and not ready to leave this earth.

So there you have it. Live life to the fullest!

mike

PS if anyone near me in the Coachella valley portion of Southern California has recently been diagnosed, I recommend the following Doctors. 

Dr Hyams surgical oncologist

Dr Amy Law Oncologist

Viewing 5 reply threads
    • Replies
        BrianP
        Participant

Glad to hear you are still NED Mike.  That interferon can be a son of a bitch for sure.  Wish you well.

Brian

BrianP
          Participant

Glad to hear you are still NED Mike.  That interferon can be a son of a bitch for sure.  Wish you well.

Brian

BrianP
            Participant

Brian

KMick
              Participant

Hey Michael, I have followed your story since you first posted for a few reasons; one you look like you could be related to me with your fair skin and hair coloring, two your melanoma was on your lower extremity in an existing mole like mine (mine was on the top of my left foot in a mole that had been there since I was a kid), three you got a skin graft like me (ouch) and four you work in the grocery business in the Coachella Valley like me. 

Fortunately my SLN pathology was negative however it was still recommended that I do the year of interferon due to the size of my lesion.  After researching it and getting a second opinion I opted for the watch and wait and I too am seen by an oncologist and dermatologist every three months.  Next appointment is next week.

I am glad to hear that all things considered you seem to be doing well.  Hang in there, I understand the anxiety.  There are days that I am completely consumed by thoughts of melanoma and then are are days that I am annoyed that I wasted a day of good health worrying about melanoma.  Hard to find a balance but for me it's getting better.  

KMick

KMick
                Participant

Hey Michael, I have followed your story since you first posted for a few reasons; one you look like you could be related to me with your fair skin and hair coloring, two your melanoma was on your lower extremity in an existing mole like mine (mine was on the top of my left foot in a mole that had been there since I was a kid), three you got a skin graft like me (ouch) and four you work in the grocery business in the Coachella Valley like me. 

Fortunately my SLN pathology was negative however it was still recommended that I do the year of interferon due to the size of my lesion.  After researching it and getting a second opinion I opted for the watch and wait and I too am seen by an oncologist and dermatologist every three months.  Next appointment is next week.

I am glad to hear that all things considered you seem to be doing well.  Hang in there, I understand the anxiety.  There are days that I am completely consumed by thoughts of melanoma and then are are days that I am annoyed that I wasted a day of good health worrying about melanoma.  Hard to find a balance but for me it's getting better.  

KMick

KMick
                  Participant

KMick

Viewing 5 reply threads
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics