The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Update: met with surgeon

Forums General Melanoma Community Update: met with surgeon

Participant

Met with my surgeon and he's very straight forward. He told me if I had waited any longer to see him and the melanoma was deeper, he would be telling me to gather my Family and get my things in order for I may not be here. 

Well, I'm glad to report that's not the case at this time. He set my surgery up for 2 days from now. Sent me to get liver blood work, chest  X-ray,, and a mammogram. Marked on my back where the surgery will be. Said he doesn't foresee any problems.

thanks for your help.  I'll keep you posted with updates.

Viewing 5 reply threads
    • Replies
        Janner
        Participant

Is your surgeon well versed in melanoma?  Is your lesion truly "Clark's Level II"?  If so, I think that was a pretty scary thing to say to someone who has an excellent prognosis.  Some melanomas can take YEARS to grow.  And no diagnosis is a death sentence with melanoma.  Stage IV is scary, but ther are new treatments and options available and many long term survivors.  Sorry, but I just think that statement major overkill for someone in your shoes if you represented your stage correctly.  BTW, Clark's Level II and Stage II are not the same thing.  Clark's Level II is most likely stage IA/IB, not stage II.

DMU
            Participant

I believe he wanted me to realize that I was lucky it was not deeper. He feels I will do well after surgery as long as all tests and the biopsy comes back good.

Told me that I must be checked every 6 months.

surgery is on Oct.15th.

told me I'll be unable to do housework or much else for 2 weeks. Keeping a positive outlook. 

๐Ÿ™‚

Girl52
              Participant

Hope all goes smoothly tomorrow, DMU. Thinking of you. I love the quote with your signature.

Girl52
                Participant

Hope all goes smoothly tomorrow, DMU. Thinking of you. I love the quote with your signature.

Girl52
                  Participant

DMU
                    Participant

I believe he wanted me to realize that I was lucky it was not deeper. He feels I will do well after surgery as long as all tests and the biopsy comes back good.

surgery is on Oct.15th.

told me I'll be unable to do housework or much else for 2 weeks. Keeping a positive outlook. 

๐Ÿ™‚

DMU
                      Participant

surgery is on Oct.15th.

๐Ÿ™‚

Janner
                      Participant

Is your surgeon well versed in melanoma?  Is your lesion truly "Clark's Level II"?  If so, I think that was a pretty scary thing to say to someone who has an excellent prognosis.  Some melanomas can take YEARS to grow.  And no diagnosis is a death sentence with melanoma.  Stage IV is scary, but ther are new treatments and options available and many long term survivors.  Sorry, but I just think that statement major overkill for someone in your shoes if you represented your stage correctly.  BTW, Clark's Level II and Stage II are not the same thing.  Clark's Level II is most likely stage IA/IB, not stage II.

Janner
                        Participant

washoegal
                          Participant

I can't help but agree with Janner.  I had one Melanoma Surgeon that the first thing out of his mouth was "If you survive Melanoma".  He was a replacement for my original doc who had moved on to a different position and though well known and highly respected, that was the first and last time I saw him.  I suppose we all have our own tolerances but to me that was beyond my limit especially since after and a quoting some pretty scary statistics (Stage 3) he finally said my first scans were clear. 

Mary

Squash
                              Participant

Gotta agree any medical professional who invokes any sort of fear in people should be dumped immediately as they are a threat to your well being.

I dumped three doctors already who tried to scare and bully me into their procedures.

Stick with those that are supportive and compassionate.

Squash
                                Participant

Gotta agree any medical professional who invokes any sort of fear in people should be dumped immediately as they are a threat to your well being.

I dumped three doctors already who tried to scare and bully me into their procedures.

Squash
                                  Participant

washoegal
                                  Participant

I can't help but agree with Janner.  I had one Melanoma Surgeon that the first thing out of his mouth was "If you survive Melanoma".  He was a replacement for my original doc who had moved on to a different position and though well known and highly respected, that was the first and last time I saw him.  I suppose we all have our own tolerances but to me that was beyond my limit especially since after and a quoting some pretty scary statistics (Stage 3) he finally said my first scans were clear. 

Mary

washoegal
                                    Participant

Mary

Viewing 5 reply threads
                                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                  About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide byย MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics