The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Understanding Suv levels

Forums General Melanoma Community Understanding Suv levels

Participant
      Friends, I am hoping someone can share with me a good link or article that helps explains the Suv levels on a pet scan. Thanks
    Viewing 1 reply thread
    • Replies
        ed williams
        Participant

Hi Susan, I have one but it is kind of hard to follow, I had to go over it a couple of times but it is specific to Melanoma. From a personal point of view I have had two and the SUV value was 0 on the second which helped me a lot to know that the tumor in my lung that hasn't change in 5 years is not active cancer. As far as SUV values and what is good or bad that is another story and out of my pay grade. Anything going down is a winner in my book. Good luck in your search for answers!!! Ed https://www.omicsonline.org/open-access/the-role-of-nuclear-medicine-in-malignant-melanoma-2155-9619-1000237.php?aid=57217&view=mobile

susanmcd
            Participant
              Thank you!
            mrsaxde
            Participant

Hi Susan,

Try Googling "SUV values PET scan" or something similar and you'll get a bunch of results to pick and choose from. Basically the higher the value, the more concerning it is. SUV is a measure of metabolic activity. Cancer cells draw in more of the radioactive sugar they give you for a PET, so a high SUV merits more investigation. The drawback of PET is that things like infections, where your body is working hard to fight the invaders, also can have higher a SUV.

I hope that helps a little. The articles that are out there are pretty easy to find and will offer you a more complete explanation.

-Bill

susanmcd
                Participant
                  Thanks! I just had my second pet scan and actually had a few pops which were not on my original so I was trying to figure out if I should be worried. I saw the consensus if over 2.5 may be something, but I was unable to find more details in a simple chart. I will take your advise and google.
            Viewing 1 reply thread
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
            About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics