The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Ultrasound?

Forums General Melanoma Community Ultrasound?

Participant
      I was diagnosed 1A in July 2018 with location of removal on my right upper arm. Almost immediately thereafter I began having armpit “fullness” and pain in both armpits but primarily on the right side. One year later, still having the armpit “fullness” and discomfort that seems to spike at certain times during my cycle and is now exclusively on my right side (melanoma side). I notified my dermatologist when it first started last year then went to my primary for a lymph node check who said all good. Would not do an ultrasound. Meanwhile I see my dermatologist every three months and she feels my armpits and says all good. It is extremely difficult to not think this is related to the melanoma that was removed inches from this armpit. At this point, should I demand an ultrasound or is pain and “fullness” not necessarily an indicator of an issue? This is so difficult, and I appreciate any insight.

Thank you.

MMH

Viewing 0 reply threads
    • Replies
        RichInLife2
        Participant
          I’m not sure what you mean by “fullness.” If the melanoma had spread to a lymph node, it could feel like a hard lump, or it could feel like a soft, squishy mass. If it felt like either of those things, I would choose a needle biopsy over an ultrasound alone. If it’s not either of those things, then I’m not so sure. Melanoma could cause pain if the mass were pressing on something, otherwise there’s often no pain associated with it.

Not sure what to tell you, but if it truly bothers you, seek another opinion.

-RIch

Viewing 0 reply threads
      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
      About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics