The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Ultrasound of lymph node 1 year post SLNB

Forums General Melanoma Community Ultrasound of lymph node 1 year post SLNB

Participant

Good afternoon my new warrior friends,

Almost a year ago I was diagnosed with melanoma on my right shin, and had a wide excision with sentinal lymph node biopsy – right groin.  Diagnosis info is "superficial spreading melanoma, Breslow depth 1.2 mm, Clark level IV, mitotic rate 1, T2aN0M0".   Following the surgery I was advised that the margins were clear and there was no sign of spreading to the lymph nodes (3 removed).

At my recent one year check up with the surgeon, we discussed a lump that I could feel where the SLNB had been performed.  Because of my history he sent me for an ultrasound of my groin, and following these results he has now scheduled me for a biopsy with an interventional radiologist, but my appointment isn't until 4/1/19.  As you all know too well, I'm fearing the worst and can't imagine my heart rate slowing any time in the next month (if ever again). 

The narrative from my ultrasound reads as follows:

"In the right groin at the area of interest there is a heterogeneous nodule measuring 3.3 x 1.9 x 2.4 cm with central cystic components as well as increased color flow.  Possibility of partially necrotic lymph node could be considered.  CT could be obtained for further evaluation".  (My doctor is skipping the CT and going right to biopsy)

Plucking words and phrases to Google leaves me thinking it can't be anything benign – does anyone have any experience with lymph node issues following surgery and/or know what I might expect?

Thank you for your guidance~

laurie

Viewing 0 reply threads
    • Replies
        Bubbles
        Participant

Hey Laurie,

While a CT could be done…it would simply show the enlarged nodule that you already know is there and you would still need a biopsy to determine exactly what it is.  So, I think biopsy is the best and most expedient way to know what you are dealing with.  Hopefully it is nothing more than a cyst or a lymph node that has already gone the way of the dodo!!  Hang in there.  I know it is a worry and a pain in the patoot to say the least.  I wish you my best.  Celeste

ourvan
            Participant

Thank you, Celeste, for always bringing a calming word!

ourvan
              Participant

I'm circling back with the results of my biopsy should anyone do a future search and need some reassurance (when Celeste/bubbles is busy!)

i had a needle core biopsy of the area on April 1, 2019, and between the initial ultrasound and the scheduled biopsy, the lump had shrunk to where I could no longer feel it (although it could be seen on the ultrasound that was done in conjunction with the biopsy)  My Dr just called to let me know that it was benign, with no sign of cancer cells or malignancy.    The official diagnosis reads "fibroconnective tissue with mild chronic inflammation".  While he couldn't say definitively what the cause was, he suspects it may be scar tissue from the original SLN biopsy surgery.

i hope this info is of some use to others, and I value the guidance and support we all have here.  Blessings to all ~

Viewing 0 reply threads
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
          About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics