The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

UCLA Oncology vs City Of Hope Cancer Center

Forums General Melanoma Community UCLA Oncology vs City Of Hope Cancer Center

Participant

Someone please help me out…maybe I am spoiled. I was being seen at MD Anderson for the last year.

I moved from TX back to CA in July. I have been at UCLA for 6 weeks now and have accomplished

a FNA showing Metastatic Stage III Melanoma Reoccurance

a PET/CT showing two Mets all in the neck keeoing it regional and Stage IIIB

now they tell me today my Surgery for Parotectomy, and lymph node dissection is set for 

OCT 28th 2013?????

I am going to meet with City of Hope Chief of Head and Neck Surgical Oncology on Tues. Am I crazy but is 12 weeks at UCLA to get a biopsy, a scan and a surgery seem like alot to anyone else. They literally don't set up anything and have zero follow through.

I got these things done in a 14 day period at MD Anderson.

Then to really make me want to seek different care, UCLA tells me I will need my family doctor to sign a physical stating i am healthy enough for surgery 1 week prior to my scheduled surgery or UCLA will cancel my surgery.

I never had to worry about seeing anyone else at MD Anderson…it was complete and comprehensive care. I am honestly praying City of Hope is like that also.

Anyone have thoughts or better yet experience with City Of Hope?

Matt

Viewing 11 reply threads
    • Replies
        JoshF
        Participant
          You’re kidding? I can’t imagine waiting that long. Shouldn’t there be a sense if urgency with melanoma? I hate to hear that this is what you’re going through Matt, doesn’t seem right. Not sure on City of Hope but your frustration is warranted. I hope you get this taken care of ASAP!

Josh

JoshF
          Participant
            You’re kidding? I can’t imagine waiting that long. Shouldn’t there be a sense if urgency with melanoma? I hate to hear that this is what you’re going through Matt, doesn’t seem right. Not sure on City of Hope but your frustration is warranted. I hope you get this taken care of ASAP!

Josh

JoshF
            Participant

Josh

jeffjohn78
              Participant

Hi Matt,

Wow that is a long wait!  I can recommend Dr. Fairies at the John Wayne Cancer Institute @ St. Johns Health Center in Santa Monica.  I refently had surgery by him on 9/3.  He is a great doctor and my surgery was scheduled 1 week after the decision was made that surgery was necessary, so they do not mess around.  Good luck!

Jeff

jeffjohn78
                Participant

Hi Matt,

Wow that is a long wait!  I can recommend Dr. Fairies at the John Wayne Cancer Institute @ St. Johns Health Center in Santa Monica.  I refently had surgery by him on 9/3.  He is a great doctor and my surgery was scheduled 1 week after the decision was made that surgery was necessary, so they do not mess around.  Good luck!

Jeff

jeffjohn78
                  Participant

Hi Matt,

Jeff

JerryfromFauq
                    Participant

Matt that sounds like my original local surgeon that took many months to do anyting.  My last two surguried at UVA were fast.  The first of these two was done in the Dr. office the day he saw me for it the first time.  The next one was when he had a full three month surgical schedule.  He revised his schedule to open up a special surgery  time for me and after having told me one day that he woould see whaat could be done, called me the net day and said come in tor the operation next week!  That I considered above and beyhond the professional call of duty.  Love this type care.  Hope you get sopme l ike  it too!

JerryfromFauq
                      Participant

Matt that sounds like my original local surgeon that took many months to do anyting.  My last two surguried at UVA were fast.  The first of these two was done in the Dr. office the day he saw me for it the first time.  The next one was when he had a full three month surgical schedule.  He revised his schedule to open up a special surgery  time for me and after having told me one day that he woould see whaat could be done, called me the net day and said come in tor the operation next week!  That I considered above and beyhond the professional call of duty.  Love this type care.  Hope you get sopme l ike  it too!

JerryfromFauq
                        Participant

washoegal
                          Participant

I second that recommendation for Dr faries at the John Wayne Cancer Center in Santa Monica.  He did all my surgeries and I adore him!

mary.

Jaryllane
                              Participant

Years ago I went to City of Hope for treatment of Lymphoma.  I received excellent treatment there.  Currently I am on a clinical trial for recurrence of melanoma through The Angeles Clinic in Santa Monica.  Dr. Omid Hamid there is the Chief Research and head of the Melanoma program.  It is an excellent facility with great doctors where you are treated as an individual — much easier place to deal with than UCLA.

Jaryllane
                                Participant

Years ago I went to City of Hope for treatment of Lymphoma.  I received excellent treatment there.  Currently I am on a clinical trial for recurrence of melanoma through The Angeles Clinic in Santa Monica.  Dr. Omid Hamid there is the Chief Research and head of the Melanoma program.  It is an excellent facility with great doctors where you are treated as an individual — much easier place to deal with than UCLA.

Jaryllane
                                  Participant

washoegal
                                  Participant

I second that recommendation for Dr faries at the John Wayne Cancer Center in Santa Monica.  He did all my surgeries and I adore him!

mary.

washoegal
                                    Participant

mary.

Viewing 11 reply threads
                                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                  About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics