The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

type 1 diabetes

Forums General Melanoma Community type 1 diabetes

Participant

After my 5th keytruda infusion I became very sick and it ended up that I had developed type 1 diabetes. Ive been told by my oncologist that this is a good response. But because its such a rare side effect, i was curious if anyone had any information or a similar response.

Viewing 0 reply threads
    • Replies
        Bubbles
        Participant

An array of endocrine side effects, unfortunately, are not unheard of when patients are treated with immunotherapy.  I know of at least one other person on this forum who developed diabetes with treatment.  Here is a post that includes one report of a patient dealing with diabetes due to imunotherapy and a link to another post that includes a treatment plan for folks with endocrine (among other body systems) related side effects:

http://chaoticallypreciselifeloveandmelanoma.blogspot.com/2017/07/side-effects-of-immunotherapy-part-9.html  

Hope this helps.  I wish you well.  Celeste

Lucas
            Participant

Bubbles, I read your blog often. However there is no data suggesting this response with efficacy. However most people I've read having this response have had a complete response. I'm stage 3 so hard to tell. Your blog is my go to for all advances, thanks for what you do!

Viewing 0 reply threads
        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
        About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics