The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Type 1 diabetes

Forums General Melanoma Community Type 1 diabetes

Participant

Has anyone else been diagnosed with Type 1 diabetes after starting Opdivo treatment?  I was after 3 treatments.  Boom there it was!  Good news is that I have been in remission since Mar 2017!

Viewing 3 reply threads
    • Replies
        JuTMSY4
        Participant

My doc expressed it as a concern and reason for stopping treatment depending on how long I was NED.  

Lucas
          Participant

I developed type 1 diabetes after 5 infusions of keytruda. This was during the stage 3 adjuvant trial. I stopped treatment at that point because of the severity as well as an elevated liver. Also my doctor thought it was a great response. I had a local recurrence 7 months later and am still dealing with that. However I have been clear of anything distant for 18 months. I’m probably the only other person on this forum with that side effect because it’s so rare.

Raeofsonshine
            Participant

I was diagnosed with T1D after 2 combo treatments.  Lost my thyroid and had elevated liver counts that after steroids was reversed.  My doc told me that T1D was unlikely to happen but then had 3 patients in a row have it happen.  So it goes, the treatment is just as unpredictable as the disese itself (Mel that is).  Best of luck!

buffcody
              Participant

I'm one more of the T1Diabetes crowd.  It was diagnosed after 5 sessions of nivolumab, the first of the 5 being one that included ipi as well.  I'm almost 2 years into it as a part of my life.  I showed up NED just about a year ago and have stayed that way since.  I sure don't enjoy having to measure my sugar 4 times a day minimum and shooting up with insulin at least that many times daily, but NED beats the inconvenience and the aggravation.  I was only the second person at the University of Michigan Health Center to be diagnosed as a result of nivo as a type 1 diabetic.  Not sure what the number is today.

Bubbles
                  Participant

Hey Frank! Good to see you around these parts!!  Sorry for the diabetes.  But, super glad to hear you are still NED!  That's great!!!  celeste

Viewing 3 reply threads
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
              About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics