The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Tylenol or Ibuprofen

Forums General Melanoma Community Tylenol or Ibuprofen

Participant
      Hi all. I have had just one infusion of the combo treatment so far and have a backache unrelated to a side effect. Which is better for me to take, Tylenol or ibuprofen for the backache? I seem to recall some posts about staying away from one of these painkillers or other while on Immunotherapy.

Thanks!

Viewing 1 reply thread
    • Replies
        THMoore
        Participant
          I was told take Tylenol. Was wondering how your rash was. Mine started 7 days after my first infusion. Head to waist and legs.
            sing123
            Participant
              Thanks. Mine started a few days in after my first infusion. I was so surprised. My doctor said it was probably because I still had some residual Opdivo working in me. I still have some. But it feels better with Aveeno Eczema. And sometimes Aveeno with 1 percent hydrocortisone. Hope you are getting some relief!
              Mark_DC
              Participant
                Hi Cindy – when I had high ALT/AST numbers (liver) i was told not to take tylenol (which i didnt take anyway) but ibuprofen.
                So may be best to contact your oncologist
                I use.used Aveeno stuff too for my skin graft and I think for when I had rashes
                Good luck Mark
                Bubbles
                Participant
                  Mark makes an important point. Tylenol (acetaminophen) is metabolized in the liver. Advil (ibuprofen) is metabolized by the kidneys. So – it depends. Taking Tylenol when your liver is not functioning well can cause liver damage. Alternatively, taking ibuprofen when you have poor renal function can cause kidney damage. So speaking to your oncologist and knowing your own status is what is most important in making this decision. C
                  sing123
                  Participant
                    Thank you! Yes, I have really tried not to take either. But am feeling crazy body aches. So alternatively, trying to keep it to a minimum
                    sing123
                    Participant
                      Thank you! Doc said I can take Tylenol now. Am only taking twice a day. I have some kind of virus and body aches are fierce (and have a fever at night). Was tested for corona and the test came out negative. I’m hoping that by tomorrow I won’t need to take anything.
                    tkoss
                    Participant
                      at 64 i try to remain active and so took alot of aspirin for arthritic pain. i did so for 1st 4 months of Nivo. W
                      When i need an excision of new mole, non-cancerous turns out, derm insisted i switch to Tylenol for the sake of blood clotting. I did maybe a week or so before next infusion. Blood work pre-infusion showed Liver enzymes were too high to allow infusion to proceed and so i was denied and infusion that day. I I stopped with the Tylenol immediately and slowly returned to aspirin where i have never had another problem with liver enzyme elevation.
                        tkoss
                        Participant
                          i should add i was taking maximun daily allowable dose of tylenol.
                          sing123
                          Participant
                            Thanks so much for sharing your experience.
                      Viewing 1 reply thread
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                      About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics