The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Tumors were shrinking- now stable

Forums Cutaneous Melanoma Community Tumors were shrinking- now stable

Participant

Hi everyone,

This is my first time posting but I read the boards here all the time. Thank you to every one who posts and supports each other. I am writing about my father who was diagnosed as stage IV last March (2016) after being diagnosed with stage 2 melanoma 17 years prior. We discovered it through a chest x-ray last winter , after his doctors had ignored his subcutaneous lumps for about a year, calling them lipomas. After all of the intial scans, we found out he had spots in his muscles, lung, pancreas, and multiple spots in the brain. He underwent cyberknife and began the ipi/nivo combo last spring in a clinical trial at BIMDC in Boston. He has shown response which is great and we are so thankful for- a 33% reduction in tumor size across the board- including the brain. After his last combo in July he became very sick and discovered he his pituitary had stopped producing cortisol so he now takes a low dose daily to make up for this. It is hard to believe he has stage IV cancer with how active and normal he seems. Anyway, finally, the reason I am writing is because his last scans were stable, the tumors did not shrink. This is the first time that nothing has shrunk. Has anyone had experience like this?  I am so afraid that the next scans will show growth. Have others experienced regrowth after shrinkage has turned to stability?

Thank you all so much

Viewing 8 reply threads
    • Replies
        Spl25
        Participant

This is not uncommon based on my doctor's description, and I don't think (anecdotally) it means that the next scan won't be better than the last. At the end of the day, most of the people who respond to PD-1 don't respond completely, but a lot of them stay stable for a long time after an initial response.  

Spl25
          Participant

This is not uncommon based on my doctor's description, and I don't think (anecdotally) it means that the next scan won't be better than the last. At the end of the day, most of the people who respond to PD-1 don't respond completely, but a lot of them stay stable for a long time after an initial response.  

Spl25
            Participant

Abbygx2589
                Participant

They shrunk a little more this scan so you are right!

thanks!

Abbygx2589
                  Participant

thanks!

Abbygx2589
                    Participant

thanks!

debwray
                    Participant

Hi,

Another scenario is that the remaining lumps or tumours can be filled with immunre cells and the melanoma cells have gone. Until you have evidence of bad shit going on, it is conforting to know there is another more positive explanation. The ride can be wild at  times..but sometimes knowing there may be a positive explanation helps us to deal with current uncertainties

Good luck with your treatment

Deb

snow white
                        Participant

Oh Deb, you crack me up. Your description of "bad shit going on" is SO on point for this disease. ๐Ÿ™‚

xo Jen

snow white
                          Participant

Oh Deb, you crack me up. Your description of "bad shit going on" is SO on point for this disease. ๐Ÿ™‚

xo Jen

snow white
                            Participant

xo Jen

debwray
                              Participant

Back on the combo…who hoo. Been at clinic from 9.00am…bloods.. Docs. Blood machine broke down.   Should finish treatment by 9.45 pm then the 70 mile drive home. But its been a good day..back on the treatment wagon..and not thrown off the trial. Anyone else on checkmate 401? They are extending drug holiday to 12 weeks but not yet rubber stamped by the needed committees…..makes sense as trial about managementofside effects and nearly thrown off trial as had side effects… Doh… Get pithier when tapping out on tablet…but you know what I mean..

Love Deb

Xx

debwray
                                Participant

Back on the combo…who hoo. Been at clinic from 9.00am…bloods.. Docs. Blood machine broke down.   Should finish treatment by 9.45 pm then the 70 mile drive home. But its been a good day..back on the treatment wagon..and not thrown off the trial. Anyone else on checkmate 401? They are extending drug holiday to 12 weeks but not yet rubber stamped by the needed committees…..makes sense as trial about managementofside effects and nearly thrown off trial as had side effects… Doh… Get pithier when tapping out on tablet…but you know what I mean..

Love Deb

Xx

debwray
                                  Participant

Love Deb

Xx

debwray
                                  Participant

Hi,

Another scenario is that the remaining lumps or tumours can be filled with immunre cells and the melanoma cells have gone. Until you have evidence of bad shit going on, it is conforting to know there is another more positive explanation. The ride can be wild at  times..but sometimes knowing there may be a positive explanation helps us to deal with current uncertainties

Deb

debwray
                                    Participant

Hi,

Deb

Amanda
                                      Participant
                                        Hi. My husband was part of the stage 3 study of anti pd1 and had initial shrinkage of all tumors, some more than others, some gone. Then after probably 6 months to a year im not sure they all became stable with no shrinkage or new growths. He contined being stable for another 2 1/2 years or so. So yes stable is good and means the immune sysyem is keeping the cancer in check.

Note that he was only getting the anti pd1, but had previously received yervoy.

About 4 months ago he had 2 new tumors pop up on thighs and one on chest. He was then added to a trial combining anti pd1 with dynavex sd-101 which is an agent injected directly into one tumor to innitiate an immune response. So far his immune system has revved back up and has again shrunk some tumors with some stable. No new growths so far.

Best wishes and i hope the best.

Also, march 9th of this year will mark 5 years since he was diagnosed (stage 4 right off the bat). Dont ever lose hope. There are long term survivors out there.

-Amanda-

Amanda
                                        Participant
                                          Hi. My husband was part of the stage 3 study of anti pd1 and had initial shrinkage of all tumors, some more than others, some gone. Then after probably 6 months to a year im not sure they all became stable with no shrinkage or new growths. He contined being stable for another 2 1/2 years or so. So yes stable is good and means the immune sysyem is keeping the cancer in check.

About 4 months ago he had 2 new tumors pop up on thighs and one on chest. He was then added to a trial combining anti pd1 with dynavex sd-101 which is an agent injected directly into one tumor to innitiate an immune response. So far his immune system has revved back up and has again shrunk some tumors with some stable. No new growths so far.

Also, march 9th of this year will mark 5 years since he was diagnosed (stage 4 right off the bat). Dont ever lose hope. There are long term survivors out there.

-Amanda-

Amanda
                                          Participant

-Amanda-

Viewing 8 reply threads
                                        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                        About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide byย MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics