The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Tumeric with Braf/Mek combo?

Forums General Melanoma Community Tumeric with Braf/Mek combo?

Participant

Just wondering if anyone knows definitely whether or not turmeric is contraindicated when on GSK's dabrafenib & trametenib . I have been putting some in my juices (fresh) & having powder in water as well. My chemist & Dr think it's ok but are not 100% sure. Thinking now it's best to stop till I find out for sure. 

Would appreciate a response if anyone knows. Thanks,Lyn 

Viewing 5 reply threads
    • Replies
        tcell
        Participant

HI,

I asked my dermatologist the exact same question a few weeks ago.

The point is that you need to be careful with any substance that is metabolized though a liver enzyme called Cytochrome P450, among them alcohol.

There are studies that say that this is the case for Curcumin as well.

He checked on Pubmed and then gave me the advice not do take curcumin capsules.

What I have learnt about curcumin this far is that it is very hard to get the daily dosis the really helps anything by just putting it in your food. Capsules are the only way to really expect any effect. What is also important to know about it is that it can only be recepted by your bowels if consumed with black pepper or similar substances, not on its own. These substances would already be contained in the capsules.

The bottom line for me is:
          Complementary medicine is absolutely fine if it helps but BRAF / MEK inhibitors are proven to be very effective and thus have more importance.

I still put Curcuma into a vegetable indian dish without worrying but I would not take it pure or as capsules which would be the way to insure its effect. I also have a cool beer with my supper but not more than that.

Hope this helps!

Chris

tcell
          Participant

HI,

The point is that you need to be careful with any substance that is metabolized though a liver enzyme called Cytochrome P450, among them alcohol.

What I have learnt about curcumin this far is that it is very hard to get the daily dosis the really helps anything by just putting it in your food. Capsules are the only way to really expect any effect. What is also important to know about it is that it can only be recepted by your bowels if consumed with black pepper or similar substances, not on its own. These substances would already be contained in the capsules.

Complementary medicine is absolutely fine if it helps but BRAF / MEK inhibitors are proven to be very effective and thus have more importance.

I still put Curcuma into a vegetable indian dish without worrying but I would not take it pure or as capsules which would be the way to insure its effect. I also have a cool beer with my supper but not more than that.

Hope this helps!

Chris

tcell
            Participant

HI,

Hope this helps!

Chris

Aussielyn
              Participant

Thanks a lot. Chris! That's the sort of info I was after. Will stay off it now-except as you say in a curry . Will have a small glass of wine though instead of a beer! Hope that's Ok!  Cheers , Lyn

Aussielyn
                Participant

Thanks a lot. Chris! That's the sort of info I was after. Will stay off it now-except as you say in a curry . Will have a small glass of wine though instead of a beer! Hope that's Ok!  Cheers , Lyn

Aussielyn
                  Participant

Viewing 5 reply threads
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics