The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Treatment time limits on Taf/Mek

Forums Cutaneous Melanoma Community Treatment time limits on Taf/Mek

Participant
      Been on the Taf/Mek combo after an incomplete excision of a melanoma tumor in parotid gland.  Remaining tumor has disappeared and I’ve been on this oral chemo combo for over three years.  Anyone else a “longterm user” of this combo?  When I started on this drug (having “failed” Keytruda and vemurafanib) my Dr was vague about the length of time I’d be using it as my prognosis wasn’t so great.  Now with nearly three years of clear scans isn’t it time to stop?  Dr wants me to stick with it for another year, worried that my mutation will roar back into action if I stop.  Just wondering if there are any other longterm users and how they decide when to say “uncle.”
    Viewing 1 reply thread
    • Replies
        hxcadam
        Participant
          3 years is great!  Definitely much longer than the average person.  I believe the majority will only see about 10-12 months on average before progression starts again.  I’m currently on Taf/Mek just over a year now and last scan looked like I was seeing new sites but have to wait for next scan to confirm (small lung nodules popped up).  If you are tolerating it I don’t see why taking it for another year would be bad other than financial burden.
          Bubbles
          Participant
            Hi JR,

Knowing when to stop therapy can be such a hard question!   I don’t have an easy answer for you.  I do, however, know through this forum a real trooper.  Dick K!  At least that was how he was known before the site became overly sensitive.  Now, he is Richard_k.  I believe he was on targeted therapy for 9 years before stopping.  Here is one of his posts:  https://forum.melanoma.org/forums/topic/another-round-of-good-news/  Perhaps you can peruse his posts or reach out to him to see what went into his decisions regarding stopping therapy in 2019.

I wish you my best whatever you decide.  Celeste

jrtufo
              Participant
                Norvitis was unbelievably helpful with co-pay assistance although I maxed out and now I’m on the hook each year until I meet my deductible responsibilities.  So (fortunately) thus far the $ part has been manageable and insurance hasn’t tried to impose a limit even though the drug company itself suggests no more than one year.  Thank you so much for responding.
                jrtufo
                Participant
                  Thank you Celeste-while I don’t post very often I have always valued your sound research and heartfelt replies.  I am so lucky that this combo has worked for me (particularly given my very grim options and prognosis four years ago!)  I know that melanoma will never truly be in my “rearview mirror” but stopping treatment would give me some peace of mind because of the lack of knowledge when it comes to longterm use and the effects on other organs…I’ll look into Richard_k
            Viewing 1 reply thread
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
            About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics