The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

treatment options

Forums General Melanoma Community treatment options

Participant
      hi again
      sitting at Moffitt while my husband is in surgery with Dr Zager. I know I will meet with him after, but wondered what options for treatment next. they are removing the rest of the nodes on the right side. I read that chemo is not usually an option and also not normally radiation. I know we will have to wait for the pathology report. what would be the options for his treatment next. thanks mary

hi again
      sitting at Moffitt while my husband is in surgery with Dr Zager. I know I will meet with him after, but wondered what options for treatment next. they are removing the rest of the nodes on the right side. I read that chemo is not usually an option and also not normally radiation. I know we will have to wait for the pathology report. what would be the options for his treatment next. thanks mary

Viewing 8 reply threads
    • Replies
        NYKaren
        Participant
          Hi Mary,
          I know the waiting is so hard.
          Treatment will depend on what they find during surgery and on the path reports. The melanoma will be staged, the tumor will be tested for BRAF and other mutations. Radiation after surgery is sometimes done.
          After your hubby is staged and mutations known, treatment options will be discussed. I know it’s hard, but you need to be a little patient (haha, so easier said than done!)
          If you want to talk, go to my profile (which is incomplete) and message me; I’ll send you my number.
          Karen
          NYKaren
          Participant
            Hi Mary,
            Treatment will depend on what they find during surgery and on the path reports. The melanoma will be staged, the tumor will be tested for BRAF and other mutations. Radiation after surgery is sometimes done.
            After your hubby is staged and mutations known, treatment options will be discussed. I know it’s hard, but you need to be a little patient (haha, so easier said than done!)
            If you want to talk, go to my profile (which is incomplete) and message me; I’ll send you my number.
            Karen
            NYKaren
            Participant
              Hi Mary,
              Karen
              flvermonter
              Participant
                thanks Karen. I spoke with Dr Zager and my husband did well in the surgery, but Dr z said he has a lot of disease in him
                they got all the remaining lymph nodes and most had cancer. Dr ordered ADSL tests for genetics to get him on pills quickly. many types but depends on the genetics I guess. Aldo wants to do radiation soon and el talk to lung surgeon to not do the lung surgery. instead do radiation. do much to take in.my husband WL b stating overnight here at Moffitt. just waiting for him to get a room. thanks again and please feel free to share your knowledge questions tome. hugs mary
                flvermonter
                Participant
                  thanks Karen. I spoke with Dr Zager and my husband did well in the surgery, but Dr z said he has a lot of disease in him
                  they got all the remaining lymph nodes and most had cancer. Dr ordered ADSL tests for genetics to get him on pills quickly. many types but depends on the genetics I guess. Aldo wants to do radiation soon and el talk to lung surgeon to not do the lung surgery. instead do radiation. do much to take in.my husband WL b stating overnight here at Moffitt. just waiting for him to get a room. thanks again and please feel free to share your knowledge questions tome. hugs mary
                  flvermonter
                  Participant
                    JerryfromFauq
                    Participant

Praying for ya'll.  Fight on.

JerryfromFauq
                      Participant

JerryfromFauq
                        Participant

Viewing 8 reply threads
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                      About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics