The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Treatment Options Stage 3

Forums Mucosal Melanoma Community Treatment Options Stage 3

Participant

Well, here I am again with more questions.  My husband is currently stage 3c mucosal melanoma and is responding exceptionally well to carbo/taxil.  Plus he feels good.  The doctor intially said it would have no durable response but after the first treatment they think there's a chance that it might just work for him.  Some of you have pointed out to me that all too often the response is only temporary.  So, what might plan B be?  He's been told that he can't have IL2, is BRAF and CKit negative, and can't do clinical trials because of a seconday

Well, here I am again with more questions.  My husband is currently stage 3c mucosal melanoma and is responding exceptionally well to carbo/taxil.  Plus he feels good.  The doctor intially said it would have no durable response but after the first treatment they think there's a chance that it might just work for him.  Some of you have pointed out to me that all too often the response is only temporary.  So, what might plan B be?  He's been told that he can't have IL2, is BRAF and CKit negative, and can't do clinical trials because of a seconday primary lung cancer.  Yervoy was the one they were going to try but because his tumors were so extremely aggressive they went with the chemo to get things under control and then move on to something else.  I just checked our insurance company's formulary and Yervoy is not covered.  There is absolutely NO WAY that we can pay for it.  The expenses are hard enough as it is already.  Anyone have any luck getting the insurance to pay somehow?  We have PPO Blue – Highmark Blue Cross Blue/Shield.  If Yerovy is not an option then what in the world is left for my husband?  Initally they were going to do interferon and radiation but that plan went out the window when the tumors popped up overnight and took off like wild fire.  The radiologist who is treating the lung cancer mentioned that he may, at some point, radiate the neck area where the tumors popped up.  Honestly, I don't know how all of you good people handle this.  It's been 5 months and I'm still a basket case.  Thankfully, my husband is a "go with the flow" type of guy and is handling this far better than I.  I'm scared out of my mind but I try my darndest not to let him know. 

Viewing 8 reply threads
    • Replies
        Linny
        Participant

Have you tried checking your insurance company's formulary to see if Ipilimumab is covered? Maybe it's listed under that name instead of Yervoy.

Moffitt over in Tampa, FL expanded their Anti PD-1 trial to include stage IIIc patients. It might be worth your while contacting them. I don't know what the specifics of that trial are, though.

Linny
          Participant

Have you tried checking your insurance company's formulary to see if Ipilimumab is covered? Maybe it's listed under that name instead of Yervoy.

Moffitt over in Tampa, FL expanded their Anti PD-1 trial to include stage IIIc patients. It might be worth your while contacting them. I don't know what the specifics of that trial are, though.

Linny
            Participant

Tim–MRF

You can get help from the maker of Yervoy, both in working to get it approved for your husband's treatment and, if that doesn't work, in getting reduced cost for the drug.  Your healthcare provider can start the process by going to http://www.destinationaccess.com  or by calling 800 861-0048.  

If you have problems with this process let me know and I will contact the company to get some internal help.

Hopefully this  won't be needed and your huisband will continue to respond to the chemo.

Tim–MRF

Tim–MRF

You can get help from the maker of Yervoy, both in working to get it approved for your husband's treatment and, if that doesn't work, in getting reduced cost for the drug.  Your healthcare provider can start the process by going to http://www.destinationaccess.com  or by calling 800 861-0048.  

If you have problems with this process let me know and I will contact the company to get some internal help.

Hopefully this  won't be needed and your huisband will continue to respond to the chemo.

Tim–MRF

Tim–MRF

Tim–MRF

Gene_S
                    Participant

Possibly this could be plan B?

Mucosal malignant melanoma treated by carbon ion radiotherapy_ Cure Hunter online

http://search.yahoo.com/search;_ylt=ApVT7sfXLs0Nk3DmV2t2qySbvZx4?p=Mucosal+malignant+melanoma+treated+by+carbon+ion+radiotherapy_++CureHunter&toggle=1&cop=mss&ei=UTF-8&fr=yfp-t-701

Best wishes,

Gene

NYKaren
                        Participant
                          Hi there,
                          Sorry to meet you under these circumstances, but glad you’ve come to such a supportive site.
                          You may have been asked this already… Where is your husband being treated? Also, as far as anti- pd1 trials, or any clinical trial, it is the sponsoring drug company itself, not the hospital, that determines the criteria for acceptance into a trial, ie, stage, measurable disease, etc.

If your husband does receive yervoy, I cannot stress strongly enough to make sure that his onc is very experienced in the drug and its potential side-effects. FYI, I was on yervoy twice, a year apart, and the first time experienced side-effects that were entirely manageable by my docs at Sloan Kettering.
                          All the best,
                          karen.

NYKaren
                          Participant
                            Hi there,
                            Sorry to meet you under these circumstances, but glad you’ve come to such a supportive site.
                            You may have been asked this already… Where is your husband being treated? Also, as far as anti- pd1 trials, or any clinical trial, it is the sponsoring drug company itself, not the hospital, that determines the criteria for acceptance into a trial, ie, stage, measurable disease, etc.

If your husband does receive yervoy, I cannot stress strongly enough to make sure that his onc is very experienced in the drug and its potential side-effects. FYI, I was on yervoy twice, a year apart, and the first time experienced side-effects that were entirely manageable by my docs at Sloan Kettering.
                            All the best,
                            karen.

NYKaren
                            Participant
                              Hi there,

All the best,
                              karen.

Gene_S
                            Participant

Mucosal malignant melanoma treated by carbon ion radiotherapy_ Cure Hunter online

http://search.yahoo.com/search;_ylt=ApVT7sfXLs0Nk3DmV2t2qySbvZx4?p=Mucosal+malignant+melanoma+treated+by+carbon+ion+radiotherapy_++CureHunter&toggle=1&cop=mss&ei=UTF-8&fr=yfp-t-701

Best wishes,

Gene

Gene_S
                              Participant

Best wishes,

Gene

Viewing 8 reply threads
                            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                            About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics