The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Treating a very large tumor

Forums General Melanoma Community Treating a very large tumor

Participant

Hi all, just looking for some insight. I've had stage 4 melanoma for a few years now but over the last 6 months I've had an extremely large tumor in my groin that will not shrink. The tumor is protruding from my right groin/pubic area and it's about the size of a grapefruit. To say the least, I need to figure out how to rid this tumor. From September -December I had 4 rounds chemotherapy (taxol/carbo) that really helped and shrunk or killed many of my other tumors. I also had direct radiation for 10 days to the tumor. However this particular tumor is stubborn and possibly encapsulated itself. Seems that any of the treatments can't penetrate this area. Recently I switched from chemo to Anti-PD1 Keytruda and have had two rounds (3rd this Tuesday) but no response yet.

I've checked with a few surgeons, radiation onc, and a few oncologists so far, and nobody has an idea. Surgery is not an option because of location. Has anybody seen or heard of anyone having any tumors this large? Or are other alternatives to reduce tumors? 

After feeling during some real rough stretches and being on multiple treatments, a brain surgery, clinical trial, chemo, radiation, and now Keytruda, I'm finally feeling a bit better, but this tumor is preventing me from getting back to close to normal. If anybody has any ideas please share.

Thanks,

Shane 

Viewing 14 reply threads
    • Replies
        arthurjedi007
        Participant

Good to hear from you again Shane.

Yes there has been some pretty exciting things done for large solid tumors if they can be reached from the surface. I'm not sure where I put the article but at the angelis clinic the doc there combined a massive dose of electricity with IL12 I think it was. But the location is of massive importance if they can safely do that much electricity. I called them when my spine tumor almost paralyzed me and they were really great over the phone but they couldn't do it that close to spinal cord. Certainly worth a call for yours I would think.

Also there is a phase 2 trial going on in San francisco and a couple other places for IL12. This has had an over 50% response rate in their phase1 trial for the treated tumors and a significant response in distant non treated tumors. Again this has to be a tumor they can reach from the surface.

hope that helps. That's all I know of but maybe someone else knows more.

Artie

arthurjedi007
          Participant

Yes there has been some pretty exciting things done for large solid tumors if they can be reached from the surface. I'm not sure where I put the article but at the angelis clinic the doc there combined a massive dose of electricity with IL12 I think it was. But the location is of massive importance if they can safely do that much electricity. I called them when my spine tumor almost paralyzed me and they were really great over the phone but they couldn't do it that close to spinal cord. Certainly worth a call for yours I would think.

Also there is a phase 2 trial going on in San francisco and a couple other places for IL12. This has had an over 50% response rate in their phase1 trial for the treated tumors and a significant response in distant non treated tumors. Again this has to be a tumor they can reach from the surface.

Artie

arthurjedi007
            Participant

Artie

Want2help
              Participant

Have you considered adding T-vec (Talimogene Laherparepvec)? There is an expanded access program:

https://clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/show/NCT02147951

T-vec has shown very promising results together with Ipi without added side effects, so the combination with Keytruda seems interesting. Here is some information about early results for the combination (half way down the page):

http://www.ascopost.com/issues/july-25,-2014/intralesional-injections-trigger-immune-responses-in-melanoma.aspx

Want2help
                Participant

Have you considered adding T-vec (Talimogene Laherparepvec)? There is an expanded access program:

T-vec has shown very promising results together with Ipi without added side effects, so the combination with Keytruda seems interesting. Here is some information about early results for the combination (half way down the page):

http://www.ascopost.com/issues/july-25,-2014/intralesional-injections-trigger-immune-responses-in-melanoma.aspx

Want2help
                  Participant

Bubbles
                    Participant

Glad you are feeling a bit better.  Sorry about the persistence of this tumor.  Did you every approach your docs about the possibility of intralesional therapy?  I don't know if that is an option or not, but it sounds as though it might be.  I think I've given you these before…but just in case….some posts re: a variety of intralesional approaches…

http://chaoticallypreciselifeloveandmelanoma.blogspot.com/2014/07/more-intralesional-therapies-for.html

http://chaoticallypreciselifeloveandmelanoma.blogspot.com/2014/05/more-info-from-ascopv10rose-bengal-for.html

http://chaoticallypreciselifeloveandmelanoma.blogspot.com/2014/06/pretty-darn-impressivea-chat-between.html

Wishing you my best.  Celeste

Bubbles
                      Participant

Glad you are feeling a bit better.  Sorry about the persistence of this tumor.  Did you every approach your docs about the possibility of intralesional therapy?  I don't know if that is an option or not, but it sounds as though it might be.  I think I've given you these before…but just in case….some posts re: a variety of intralesional approaches…

http://chaoticallypreciselifeloveandmelanoma.blogspot.com/2014/07/more-intralesional-therapies-for.html

http://chaoticallypreciselifeloveandmelanoma.blogspot.com/2014/05/more-info-from-ascopv10rose-bengal-for.html

http://chaoticallypreciselifeloveandmelanoma.blogspot.com/2014/06/pretty-darn-impressivea-chat-between.html

Bubbles
                        Participant

joelcairo
                          Participant

I don't know why intratumoral injection isn't used more frequently in such cases. There may be reasons, but everything I have read makes the strategy look promising. The agents used are frequently designed to trigger an immune response rather than being directly cytotoxic. For example, these have been studied in cancer patients and/or in animal models…

– CpG-ODN (CpG oligodeoxynucleotides)

– imiquimod

– IL-2

– bee venom

Survival after intratumoral interleukin-2 treatment of 72 melanoma patients and response upon the first chemotherapy during follow-up
                            http://link.springer.com/article/10.1007%2Fs00262-010-0957-3

joelcairo
                            Participant

I don't know why intratumoral injection isn't used more frequently in such cases. There may be reasons, but everything I have read makes the strategy look promising. The agents used are frequently designed to trigger an immune response rather than being directly cytotoxic. For example, these have been studied in cancer patients and/or in animal models…

– imiquimod

– IL-2

– bee venom

Survival after intratumoral interleukin-2 treatment of 72 melanoma patients and response upon the first chemotherapy during follow-up

joelcairo
                              Participant

– imiquimod

– IL-2

– bee venom

odonoghue80
                                Participant

Thanks for all the input. I've asked previously about intralesional treatment but it was dismissed. I will ask again next week at my appointment. I like the sound of that shock therapy too. I'm currently on Keytruda so I doubt that I can switch just yet.

I was also curious about filtering these tumors naturally, or in combination with current treatment. The recent scans have shown the density of this tumor has changed and may be necrotic. Problem is I still have the mass in my groin. 

Thanks,

Shane

odonoghue80
                                  Participant

Thanks for all the input. I've asked previously about intralesional treatment but it was dismissed. I will ask again next week at my appointment. I like the sound of that shock therapy too. I'm currently on Keytruda so I doubt that I can switch just yet.

I was also curious about filtering these tumors naturally, or in combination with current treatment. The recent scans have shown the density of this tumor has changed and may be necrotic. Problem is I still have the mass in my groin. 

Thanks,

Shane

Bubbles
                                      Participant

Hey Shane,

You tumor may well be necrotic tissue.  An internet friend of mine had a large tumor (actually grew while she was on anti-PD1) that was visible and causing problems in her shoulder. Like yours it had some density changes apart from the growth on scans.  Finally…it was surgically removed and though some path is still pending, it was clearly predominently, if not completely, necrotic tissue.  That is my hope for you as well.  Of course, your obvious problem of a mass in your groin remains either way!!!  So sorry!!!  Hoping that a solution reveals itself very soon!!!!  Hang in there!  Celeste

Bubbles
                                        Participant

Hey Shane,

You tumor may well be necrotic tissue.  An internet friend of mine had a large tumor (actually grew while she was on anti-PD1) that was visible and causing problems in her shoulder. Like yours it had some density changes apart from the growth on scans.  Finally…it was surgically removed and though some path is still pending, it was clearly predominently, if not completely, necrotic tissue.  That is my hope for you as well.  Of course, your obvious problem of a mass in your groin remains either way!!!  So sorry!!!  Hoping that a solution reveals itself very soon!!!!  Hang in there!  Celeste

Bubbles
                                          Participant

Hey Shane,

odonoghue80
                                          Participant

Thanks,

Shane

Viewing 14 reply threads
                                        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                        About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics