The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Today is the day for important health care advances!

Forums General Melanoma Community Today is the day for important health care advances!

Participant

*~* Thanks to our President …

1.  Insurance companies will no longer be permitted to exclude children because of pre-existing health conditons ( 72,000 children will be covered today!) 

2. Insurance companies will be prohibited from imposing lifetime limits on benefits  

*~* Thanks to our President …

1.  Insurance companies will no longer be permitted to exclude children because of pre-existing health conditons ( 72,000 children will be covered today!) 

2. Insurance companies will be prohibited from imposing lifetime limits on benefits  

3. Customers who join new plans are permitted to keep their old doctors AND appeal reimbursement issues to a third party *~*

And others…but these are what make me happy today  *~* smiley *~*

Viewing 3 reply threads
    • Replies
        Bonnie Lea
        Participant

this sounds soooo great and its about time.  I sure did not realize that 72,000 children have been unable to acess medical care due to existing conditions, nor that there was a 'cap' on costs for a lifetime.  But I do remember a dear member here, talking about how he has used up over a million dollars in insurance coverage.

Oh I really pray you guys all get the best of the best for your needs.  I personally do not know what I would do if it were that way here  (prob been dead eons ago)

Hope you re doing fine Rox.

Bonnie Lea

Bonnie Lea
          Participant

this sounds soooo great and its about time.  I sure did not realize that 72,000 children have been unable to acess medical care due to existing conditions, nor that there was a 'cap' on costs for a lifetime.  But I do remember a dear member here, talking about how he has used up over a million dollars in insurance coverage.

Oh I really pray you guys all get the best of the best for your needs.  I personally do not know what I would do if it were that way here  (prob been dead eons ago)

Hope you re doing fine Rox.

Bonnie Lea

TinaR
              Participant

It's wonderful, Bonnie. Now these vulnerable people have someone looking out for them.  I only wish all the positive health care changes would take effect today . 

They will also cover dependants to age 26…which is helpful to many young people and their families. My son graduated this past Spring and found a job in his field…but his insurance didn't kick in for three months. He was extended on our student plan for 30 days and then we had to buy an expensive bridge policy to cover the rest of the time.  It's scary and many kids gamble by not buying insurance.  My son was just in the hosptial over the weekend …gastrointestinal bleeding and vomitting for days…they found a huge ulcer. He is only 24 years old- we were lucky he was covered-  many kids gamble by not buying insurance.   Now kids are covered until 26 ….great until they can find a position where they can afford a plan.   

KyCyn
                Participant

Whoohoo!!!!!!

KyCyn
                  Participant

Whoohoo!!!!!!

jag
                    Participant

that explains it

TinaR
                      Participant

?  H Pylori explains the ulcer…YOU defy explanation!!!   My son probably acquired this during one of our trips to Bulgaria–it's all my fault.  Horrible woman that I am…I force my kids to accompany me to volunteer in the orphanages AND eat/drink local food thereby putting their lives at risk.

My daughter and husband had it one year, but son and I tested fine. Doctor said it was probably a false negative- they happen. The ulcer was HUGE covering most of the bottom of his stomach. He's had burning stomach pain…but we thought it was reflux. Hmmmm, I wonder… if I take TUMS would you stop burning me????

jag
                        Participant

Well, I made it to 3 words, TinRock, that is the best I could do.  Was trying to think of something to wind you up with just 2, but I didn't have the heart (or imagination) to go on any further.  Have been checking these posts inbetween appointments to see if you would even bother to respond to my ridiculous accusations and amazingly you did-kind of assumed you would ignore them.  I feel like I have provided you with a service.  

I am your punching bag.  Go ahead, get it all out.  That is what I am here for.  

I apologize for my sick sense of humor, and am very sorry to hear about your son's ulcer.  I hope he gets better soon.

Uncle to you.

John

TinaR
                          Participant

Oh, foo. Punching bag? No that's not accurate. WHERE can a girl find  conversation around here that even approximates witty comebacks & snappy repartee? You giving in just sucks. I lost Yawn as my tormentor, FH and Den are gone to other boards, new agey Michele is swirling in the land of Kiwi , BG has retreated in despair to Facebook…here I was making do with you. Now, there's NOTHING left.

Whatever.  I guess I'll just go do the laundry.

TinaR
                            Participant

Oh, foo. Punching bag? No that's not accurate. WHERE can a girl find  conversation around here that even approximates witty comebacks & snappy repartee? You giving in just sucks. I lost Yawn as my tormentor, FH and Den are gone to other boards, new agey Michele is swirling in the land of Kiwi , BG has retreated in despair to Facebook…here I was making do with you. Now, there's NOTHING left.

Whatever.  I guess I'll just go do the laundry.

jag
                              Participant

Well, I made it to 3 words, TinRock, that is the best I could do.  Was trying to think of something to wind you up with just 2, but I didn't have the heart (or imagination) to go on any further.  Have been checking these posts inbetween appointments to see if you would even bother to respond to my ridiculous accusations and amazingly you did-kind of assumed you would ignore them.  I feel like I have provided you with a service.  

I am your punching bag.  Go ahead, get it all out.  That is what I am here for.  

I apologize for my sick sense of humor, and am very sorry to hear about your son's ulcer.  I hope he gets better soon.

Uncle to you.

John

TinaR
                                Participant

?  H Pylori explains the ulcer…YOU defy explanation!!!   My son probably acquired this during one of our trips to Bulgaria–it's all my fault.  Horrible woman that I am…I force my kids to accompany me to volunteer in the orphanages AND eat/drink local food thereby putting their lives at risk.

My daughter and husband had it one year, but son and I tested fine. Doctor said it was probably a false negative- they happen. The ulcer was HUGE covering most of the bottom of his stomach. He's had burning stomach pain…but we thought it was reflux. Hmmmm, I wonder… if I take TUMS would you stop burning me????

jag
                                  Participant

that explains it

jag
                                    Participant

Kids are covered until age 26? that is definitely progress.  

jag
                                      Participant

Kids are covered until age 26? that is definitely progress.  

TinaR
                                        Participant

It's wonderful, Bonnie. Now these vulnerable people have someone looking out for them.  I only wish all the positive health care changes would take effect today . 

They will also cover dependants to age 26…which is helpful to many young people and their families. My son graduated this past Spring and found a job in his field…but his insurance didn't kick in for three months. He was extended on our student plan for 30 days and then we had to buy an expensive bridge policy to cover the rest of the time.  It's scary and many kids gamble by not buying insurance.  My son was just in the hosptial over the weekend …gastrointestinal bleeding and vomitting for days…they found a huge ulcer. He is only 24 years old- we were lucky he was covered-  many kids gamble by not buying insurance.   Now kids are covered until 26 ….great until they can find a position where they can afford a plan.   

Kimmer
                                        Participant

Rox,

I hope your son is recovering and feeling better.  That does sound just awful.  And congrats to him for finding a job in his field.  That is just really awesome.

I am of a more mainstream conservative ilk (if that makes sense) than prolly most folks on this board, but I have to admit that when I read the info that BCBS sent last week on the changes…well I was pretty happy.  We were  able to carry my son on our plan until he was 24, but that must vary from policy to policy so we were just lucky. 

Let's face a $2,000,000 cap on a lifetime benefit won't go that far for those of us who need insanely expensive care if our cancer goes on a rampage, so that is a good thing for sure.

But here is a question…

I am still unclear on the pre-existing conditions provision for adults though.  From what I understand, those with pre-existing conditions will still have to be without coverage for 6 months in order to buy insurance when the healthcare plan is in full swing.  Is that correct?  I live in total fear of not being covered if something happens…even for six months!  Maybe I am mistaken.

Please straighten me out!

Take good care, K.

TinaR
                                            Participant

Kimmer,  I just don't know…I'm so frightened of the six month wait before you can buy into the new high risk pools I have forced it out of my mind. This only until 2014 when the entire program is set to begin as far as I understand it. After it goes into effect each state will have their own Insurance plans… pick your own plan or one of the state approved to buy into. I don't think they make anyone wait after 2014. I tend to take care of the bleeders I have at the moment within the rules I have to work around today- rather than buy worry about tomorrow.

Right now,  I believe you are always entitled to COBRA if you lose your employee insurance. Don't know if this is  true and might be full of crap…but possibly with govt assisted premiums? I don't know for sure. I'm avoiding the topic to preserve what little mental ease I have carved out for myself dealing with my family's continual health crisises.  I'm certain someone knows…but I've lost my access to the amazing brain trust and am too scared to face the reality on my own. I can't help but eel if  maybe if there were more support for this program– perhaps there would be less trouble instituting the other policies that would benefit most of us immediately. I don't understand the wait until 2014…I think it's ridiculous and was only added to stop the opposition from ruining the entire plan. Of course, I blame the party of NO for most of the mess we have here today.  It astounds me that people want to bring back the massive machine that created the problems we have to deal with today. It takes more than 2 years to clean up 8 years of devastation and that want to start the pile up AGAIN?

I should stop avoiding this uncomfortable topic and look into it…although, I'm going to wait a while and see if smart people log on and let us know!

TinaR
                                              Participant

Kimmer,  I just don't know…I'm so frightened of the six month wait before you can buy into the new high risk pools I have forced it out of my mind. This only until 2014 when the entire program is set to begin as far as I understand it. After it goes into effect each state will have their own Insurance plans… pick your own plan or one of the state approved to buy into. I don't think they make anyone wait after 2014. I tend to take care of the bleeders I have at the moment within the rules I have to work around today- rather than buy worry about tomorrow.

Right now,  I believe you are always entitled to COBRA if you lose your employee insurance. Don't know if this is  true and might be full of crap…but possibly with govt assisted premiums? I don't know for sure. I'm avoiding the topic to preserve what little mental ease I have carved out for myself dealing with my family's continual health crisises.  I'm certain someone knows…but I've lost my access to the amazing brain trust and am too scared to face the reality on my own. I can't help but eel if  maybe if there were more support for this program– perhaps there would be less trouble instituting the other policies that would benefit most of us immediately. I don't understand the wait until 2014…I think it's ridiculous and was only added to stop the opposition from ruining the entire plan. Of course, I blame the party of NO for most of the mess we have here today.  It astounds me that people want to bring back the massive machine that created the problems we have to deal with today. It takes more than 2 years to clean up 8 years of devastation and that want to start the pile up AGAIN?

I should stop avoiding this uncomfortable topic and look into it…although, I'm going to wait a while and see if smart people log on and let us know!

Kimmer
                                                Participant

I think you are right about the COBRA and it goes on for 18 months or so.  I have looked into private insurance before just 'cos I turn over rocks looking for something to worry me and was told that they want you to be 10 years NED from melanoma. 

Good news is that I only have 5 years and 7 months to go! 

The FL high risk pool is full.  Yep, I looked under that rock too.

I am sorry about your stress with family health issues…  I just took my own son back to NC after taking care of him from his second head injury, so I kinda know what you mean.  No surgery/coma this time, just bad headaches, disphasia and body aches.  Geez.   He is doing great now and is going back to work!  We seem to dodge a lot of bullets around this family, but it is exhausting.

Sure is lonely around here though…sigh.

Take good care of yourself Rox.

K.

TinaR
                                                  Participant

Yikes K, it seems this bullet dodging is a full-time job for you! I'm glad to hear that  your son is doing well and back to work! I have to remind myself that no matter how bad it gets – it  could always be worse and you just have to keep on. But it is exhausting and lonely road sometimes…we all know that feeling, especially here. It's always a good day when we can send the family members onto their day a little bit better than they were the day before. That's good luck in my book.

You take care of yourself…someone has to 🙂  (and you know you'll be needed elsewher, again!)

Roxanne

TinaR
                                                    Participant

Yikes K, it seems this bullet dodging is a full-time job for you! I'm glad to hear that  your son is doing well and back to work! I have to remind myself that no matter how bad it gets – it  could always be worse and you just have to keep on. But it is exhausting and lonely road sometimes…we all know that feeling, especially here. It's always a good day when we can send the family members onto their day a little bit better than they were the day before. That's good luck in my book.

You take care of yourself…someone has to 🙂  (and you know you'll be needed elsewher, again!)

Roxanne

Kimmer
                                                      Participant

I think you are right about the COBRA and it goes on for 18 months or so.  I have looked into private insurance before just 'cos I turn over rocks looking for something to worry me and was told that they want you to be 10 years NED from melanoma. 

Good news is that I only have 5 years and 7 months to go! 

The FL high risk pool is full.  Yep, I looked under that rock too.

I am sorry about your stress with family health issues…  I just took my own son back to NC after taking care of him from his second head injury, so I kinda know what you mean.  No surgery/coma this time, just bad headaches, disphasia and body aches.  Geez.   He is doing great now and is going back to work!  We seem to dodge a lot of bullets around this family, but it is exhausting.

Sure is lonely around here though…sigh.

Take good care of yourself Rox.

K.

Kimmer
                                                      Participant

Rox,

I hope your son is recovering and feeling better.  That does sound just awful.  And congrats to him for finding a job in his field.  That is just really awesome.

I am of a more mainstream conservative ilk (if that makes sense) than prolly most folks on this board, but I have to admit that when I read the info that BCBS sent last week on the changes…well I was pretty happy.  We were  able to carry my son on our plan until he was 24, but that must vary from policy to policy so we were just lucky. 

Let's face a $2,000,000 cap on a lifetime benefit won't go that far for those of us who need insanely expensive care if our cancer goes on a rampage, so that is a good thing for sure.

But here is a question…

I am still unclear on the pre-existing conditions provision for adults though.  From what I understand, those with pre-existing conditions will still have to be without coverage for 6 months in order to buy insurance when the healthcare plan is in full swing.  Is that correct?  I live in total fear of not being covered if something happens…even for six months!  Maybe I am mistaken.

Please straighten me out!

Take good care, K.

Viewing 3 reply threads
                                                    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                                    About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics